Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on Lady in the Water

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from a screening of the final version of Lady in the Water. I can't really divulge anything, but suffice to say I think a lot of people will be very pleased with this film. It's a very nice entertaining rendition of a fairy tale with some great acting (particularly by Paul Giamatti). Shyamalan upgraded himself from a cameo actor to a full supporting role, but he doesn't reach beyond his means and gives a good performance. There's a fun dash of humor sprinkled over the mythical plotline with some very light horror undertones. All in all, makes for a worthwhile movie experience.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Old 07-08-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
wow, can't you just tell how much The Village left viewers for more M. Night?
Old 07-08-06, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait until he gives himself the starring role.
Old 07-08-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So what's the twist? Was it really that the wolf in the back yard's book was "to serve man"? How about that Paul Giamatti was really death all along? Perhaps Bryce Dallas Howard was just an alien from Venus who was sent to colonize earth before the alien wolf creature from mars?

The whole Twilight Zone marathon from this past weekend is still in my head so I'm sure I'll eventually guess the right twist to this one, right?
Old 07-08-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
So what's the twist? Was it really that the wolf in the back yard's book was "to serve man"? How about that Paul Giamatti was really death all along? Perhaps Bryce Dallas Howard was just an alien from Venus who was sent to colonize earth before the alien wolf creature from mars?

The whole Twilight Zone marathon from this past weekend is still in my head so I'm sure I'll eventually guess the right twist to this one, right?
Dammit!!! You could have at least used spoiler tags!!!!
Old 07-08-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
After The Village, M Night has a lot to make up for. I expected this to be decent.
Old 07-08-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I Don't know, after seeing the trailers (not just the teaser) It seems like the same ol' same ol'. Nothing against Night because I like him, this one just looks like a rental for me.
Old 07-08-06, 09:12 AM
Banned

Christ, Jackskeleton...nothing like fucking it up for everyone, I guess!
Old 07-08-06, 11:34 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Rival11
I Don't know, after seeing the trailers (not just the teaser) It seems like the same ol' same ol'. Nothing against Night because I like him, this one just looks like a rental for me.
All the shots in the trailer of the members of the apartment community staring wondorously, rapturously into the sky remind me of *BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED, and that ain't a good thing, so I'll pass...
Old 07-08-06, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
After The Village, M Night has a lot to make up for. I expected this to be decent.
I wasn't a fan of The Village. I wouldn't say Lady in the Water is anything like it. This one doesn't follow his usual conventions.

To Filmmaker: the trailers don't really do the movie justice. Warner is trying a few different strategies for the marketing (promoting it as a horror film, a film of wonderment, etc.) and depending on what trailer you see, doesn't really showcase the film as a whole. People staring into the sky is one comparatively quick shot among many.

Last edited by BJacks; 07-08-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 03:51 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I was a bit overdramatic with my post; the only Shyamalan film I've ever enjoyed is SIGNS (THE SIXTH SENSE is the single most overrated screenplay of the last decade, IMO, riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies) and even that suffers from a truly vomitous scene midway through where Mel Gibson expounds on the critical (and complete b.s.) difference between so-called believers and non-believers. I didn't even bother with THE VILLAGE when the reviews came in, and considering the pre-release buzz on LADY IN THE WATER (not the least of which is the fact that Buena Vista dumped Shyamalan because they found the script so problematic) is so poor, combined with that truly absurd trailer, and I just have no desire to see it. If the reviews are primarily exultant, I may change my mind...
Old 07-08-06, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another review from Joblo.com

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=11828
Old 07-08-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
The previews make it look interesting. I've enjoyed all of his movies, so far, I think. It'll be a rental, for sure, but I'll still see it.
Old 07-09-06, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I'll be there. I've loved one M. Knight film (UNBREAKABLE), liked/kinda liked two (SIXTH SENSE, SIGNS) and was ultimately indifferent towards another (VILLAGE). But all of them have always been extremely watchable.

Plus Giamatti is like unto God.
Old 07-09-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I'll be there. I've loved one M. Knight film (UNBREAKABLE), liked/kinda liked two (SIXTH SENSE, SIGNS) and was ultimately indifferent towards another (VILLAGE). But all of them have always been extremely watchable.

I'm with you.
Old 07-09-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
I can understand people not being satisfied from some of his movies but what I don't get is how people can jump all over him.
Dude, it's the Internet. EVERYBODY thinks they're a Jr film critic or film student so they shit on everything they don't like and they pick apart anything they can just for shits and giggles.

Even if you didn't like the "twist" in The Village-- he's still one of the best technical and all-round directors we have working in mainstream film. There's so much crap out there it makes me cringe and this is one of the few guys that will actually perk my interest enough to go to the movie theater

I agree.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-09-06 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even if you didn't like the "twist" in The Village-- he's still one of the best technical and all-round directors we have working in mainstream film. There's so much crap out there it makes me cringe and this is one of the few guys that will actually perk my interest enough to go to the movie theater
It has nothing to do with liking the "twist" in The Village. It has to do with being a one trick pony. The whole "twist" in The Sixth Sense worked, but after that it got to a point where every film he done is just two hours waiting for a big "twist" at the end, which so far, three out of five times has been a huge let down. Factor this in with the fact that he can't act, but feels he should have speaking roles in his film and I think at best, he is riding off the coat-tails of people who loved The Sixth Sense (I was not one of them, I think The Others was vastly superior).
Old 07-09-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unless it's ridiculously hyped by critics and audiences alike, I'll likely sit this one out. The main reason? Spite. Fuck the marketing genius who thought it'd be clever to have a kid whisper every goddamned word in the trailer. That, and I still haven't forgiven M. Night for "Signs."

-JP
Old 07-09-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Geeze... the way some people froth and rant about the guy, you'd think he took a crap in their watermelon dessert or something.
Old 07-09-06, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
The whole "twist" in The Sixth Sense worked
I'd like a moment for rebuttal...
Old 07-09-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's always strange how an M. Night discussion can arouse such passion from people. To some people, it's like he's the devil. I guess people don't like to be duped. I for one have enjoyed ALL his movies (even the Village). It is somewhat pompous of him to put himself in all of movies (with increasingly larger roles), but Quentin Tarantino has done the same thing (all directors want to be actors for some reason). I think The Village was basically killed by marketing. It was made out to be one thing, and going in it turned out to be completely different. I'm afraid that's whats happening with the Lady in the Water ads too. It makes it look like a horror movie. Is it?
Old 07-09-06, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shilex
To some people, it's like he's the devil.
More like a holier-than-thou Christian, which is ironically bedeviling. He's also aggravating as hell because, not only is he a one-trick pony kind of storyteller, but his one-trick(s) consistently fails to stand up to logical scrutiny. He's all smoke-and-mirrors, pay-no-attention-to-that-man-behind-the-curtain, good-looking atmosphere candy-coating hollow shells of screenplays.
Old 07-09-06, 09:30 PM
Retired

This will have to get tremendously positive reviews (like 95% on RT) for me to even consider seeing it after not caring much for Unbreakable, disliking Signs and LOATHING The Village.
Old 07-09-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh. I have zero interest in this. After Signs I more or less called it quits on Shyamalan's films. I don't hate the guy or anything, but his films seem to have gradually gotten worse with each new release.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-09-06 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Count me in along the crowd that thinks that every one of his movies looks progressively worse. I'm sitting this out until some poeple I trust have seen it. Not some studio PR-sounding sneak peekers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.