Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince closes down his online "music" club.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The award for businessman of the year goes to...

From NPGMC's U Tell Us forum:

Greetings Family,

The NPG Music Club has been in xistence 4 more than 5 years. In that time we've learned a great deal from each other and about this brave new online world we have all chosen 2 b part of. The members we have been 4tunate enough 2 have join r family have truly made this the best music club any artist could ever dream of. And all the things we have been a part of 2gether -- the concerts, the celebrations, the soundchecks, the discussions and the un4gettable music -- have shown us what a New Power Generation can truly b. We thank u from r hearts 4 sharing urselves and ur love of the music with all of us. It has been a blessing.

Once the NPG Music Club won the 2006 Webby Award, discussions within the NPG began 2 center on what was next. What’s the next step in this ever-changing xperiment? The achievements of the past cannot be questioned and we are truly grateful 4 everything that has been accomplished. But in its current 4m there is a feeling that the NPGMC gone as far as it can go. In a world without limitations and infinite possibilities, has the time come 2 once again make a leap of faith and begin anew? These r ?s we in the NPG need 2 answer. In doing so, we have decided 2 put the club on hiatus until further notice.

The NPG Music Club was a first step; the lessons learned will last 4ever. Now comes a time of great reflection and restructuring. The future holds nothing but endless opportunity and we plan on seizing it wholeheartedly. Don’t u want 2 come?

Love4oneanother,
NPG Music Club 4ever
Perhaps when if it ever comes back, they might think about actually selling...MUSIC instead of belt buckles and candles.
Old 07-06-06, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And all the 2's, 4's, and u's drive me nuts. For a sentence or two I can read it. Any more, and I skim to the point of the message, and screw any missing details I've missed.
Old 07-06-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
And all the 2's, 4's, and u's drive me nuts. For a sentence or two I can read it. Any more, and I skim to the point of the message, and screw any missing details I've missed.
That's about what I got out of it too.
Old 07-06-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Perhaps when if it ever comes back, they might think about actually selling...MUSIC instead of belt buckles and candles.
Dude...they sold lots of music. What part of the site were you on? Or was that a comment about the kind of music he had on there?

Anyway, I'm sorry to see this go. I hope I still have backups of all the stuff I downloaded, because I was sort of relying on being able to go in there and download them again if I needed to.

I guess this also means that when he comes round again on tour, members are going to have to buy regular tickets just like everyone else.
Old 07-06-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Old 07-06-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Dude...they sold lots of music. What part of the site were you on? Or was that a comment about the kind of music he had on there?
I'm talking about actual, physical CDs. None of this shitty, variable/low bitrate downloads that may or may not be burnable..

Hell, he had more Maceo CDs there than he did his own stuff..
Old 07-06-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Aaahhh, I gotcha. Yeah, the physical stuff was pretty scarce there. I never had any problems burning the stuff or transferring them to my mp3 player, though.
Old 07-06-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
I never had any problems burning the stuff or transferring them to my mp3 player, though.
Me neither. Since I had friends that hooked me up . But i've read lots and lots of horror stories..
Old 07-07-06, 03:06 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My problem was that he rarely included any rarities that people actually clamored for. I have tons of great songs from the pre-symbol days of his on crappy bootlegs that I would have loved to have in at least a semi-official cleaned up form. Instead it was 95% subpar new material that was b-side throwaway level at best. Plus live recordings of lesser songs, twenty minute instrumentals, etc. Some of the okay stuff was only available mixed into the "Ahdio shows". Given that we know Prince supposedly has thousands of unreleased songs in his vault, with a big number being from his classic 80s era, it's disappointing that he comes out with this great idea but didn't use it to its full potential.
Old 07-07-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember how cool I thought this idea was once upon a time.
Old 07-08-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it's one thing if a 12 year old girl is using it, but a grown folk shouldn't ever ever type like that.
Old 07-08-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Maybe the next horizon in this brave new online world is complete sentences and proper grammar.
Old 07-08-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
I remember how cool I thought this idea was once upon a time.
Yeah, 2 b fair, he was doing this back in 1983. I didn't think it was cool, but it really didn't bother me, since it was just the lyric sheet that it was written on. However, stupid shit like spelling out "eye" instead of typing the fucking letter "I" pisses me off..

Actually, Prince "fams"* using this on Prince forums pisses me off just as much..

* I was going to refer to them using the commonly used word in the Prince community - "Princefag" - but didn't know how that would go over here and didn't want to be misconstrued as a homophobe. Which would make sense since I listen to high heel sportin', make up wearing, ex-g-string wearing Prince.