Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Clerks II -12/5/06

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Clerks II -12/5/06

In a recent promotional stop at Detroit's Free FM 97.1 (WKRK), director Kevin Smith let some rather big news slip: Clerks II is currently scheduled to be released on DVD on December 5th, 2006. There was no word on the actual contents, but as with other View Askew releases you can safely assume that the disc will be packed with extras.

DAVISDVD.com
Old 07-01-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this a first? The announcement of the DVD release weeks before the theatrical release?
Old 07-01-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing that I'll be picking this one up
Old 07-02-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madcougar
Is this a first? The announcement of the DVD release weeks before the theatrical release?
I don't think it's that unusual nowadays. Since studios make much more profit on the DVD releases of most films, they'll work backwards from the DVD release date, and consider theater releases a formality.

I think I've heard Ebert and Roper mention this a few times.

-jason
Old 07-02-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Just saw the first commercial for the movie yesterday.
Old 07-02-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great news.
Old 07-02-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had only heard of the film on this board, then yesterday i saw the first tv spot for it. I was expecting the date to be a few months off, i was surprised to see its a few weeks away. It does seem they are spending more time and money on the dvd release then they are on theatrical promotions. Which does make perfect sense.
Old 07-02-06, 03:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm definitely going to buy it.
Old 07-02-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wick
I'm definitely going to buy it.
um...

Have you seen the film yet?

Although I'm a fan of Kevin Smith's films, if this thing is a turkey, it won't be something I want to watch over and over. I'm expecting to enjoy it, but you never know - the guy is very hit and miss. Some of his films I thought I loved when I saw them just don't hold up on DVD. To each his own, I suppose.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 07-02-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
um...

Although I'm a fan of Kevin Smith's films, if this thing is a turkey, it won't be something I want to watch over and over. I'm expecting to enjoy it, but you never know - the guy is very hit and miss. Some of his films I thought I loved when I saw them just don't hold up on DVD. To each his own, I suppose.

cheers,

-the Jesus
I'm not the one you were talking to, but I'll reply anyway
As far as I'm concerned, the only questionable movie he has made so far is Jersey Girl, all the others have been great. And with Jersey Girl, I was originally thinking about skipping the DVD, but I ended up getting it anyway mostly because of the features on it. So I can pretty much guarantee I'm getting Clerks 2, even with the highly unlikely event that I don't like the film, as the features will probably still be worth it.
Now, Jay and Silent Bob Do Degrassi is a different thing. I got that for x-mas on DVD, and it's definitely my least favorite Kevin Smith thing, defintiely below Jersey Girl. And what little features I watched mostly had to do with Kevin Smith's Degrassi relationship, but to be fair I didn't watch all of it yet. But yea, that's the only DVD I would consider questionable.
Old 07-02-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jersey Girl is a great movie, and worth owning on DVD. If the whole Jenfleck or Bennifer thing wasn't going on at the time, and Gigli never happened, then I doubt anybody would have given two rats tails about Jennifer Lopez in the movie, and any bad press about that would have been avoided. It's a gem of a film, but completely different from his previous movies, which is not a bad thing.
Old 07-02-06, 11:00 PM

the comentary is already done.... so might as well go for it..
the ? is how many people are gonna download the com & go back for a 2nd time??
If its as good a the 1st one I'm in...
great gimick too...
Old 07-03-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if it's anything like the Clerks X DVD, it'll be worth owning. Early reviews have been pretty good so far.
Old 07-03-06, 08:59 AM
Banned

Jersey Girl? A "great" movie? It might be an OK movie (though I don't think so), but it's by FAR Kevin Smith's weakest moment (I'd rather watch the DeGrassi crapfest). I like the other View Askew flicks, and own them all.
Old 07-03-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Jersey Girl? A "great" movie? It might be an OK movie (though I don't think so), but it's by FAR Kevin Smith's weakest moment (I'd rather watch the DeGrassi crapfest). I like the other View Askew flicks, and own them all.
I snagged Jersey Girl when Overstock had a used copy. For $1.00, I wasn't too concerned about wasting my $. I thought it was actually a great movie also. It is definitely not a typical "Kevin Smith" film, although it had some witty dialogue. I think people were too rough on it. Anyway, I am looking forward to Clerks 2 like you cannot imagine...
Old 07-03-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Well, not "great" in a movie classics sort of way, but great for what it was trying to achieve. And certainly worth watching again.

And his weakest moment? Vulgar by far. I know he was producer on it, and not director, but still...

For director, I would say his weakest moment was Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I like the movie, but it was the weakest of his directorial movies.
Old 07-03-06, 05:39 PM

Great news!
Old 07-03-06, 10:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

When was the last good Kevin Smith movie ?

10 years ago?
Old 07-04-06, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
um...

cheers,

-the Jesus
I have, and it is by far the best yet... Pillowpants. It was great, and I'm waiting impatiently to see it again on its opening weekend.
Old 07-04-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have also seen the film. It is not Smith's best, but it's a lot of fun.
"We studied criminology! Criminology, for Christ's sake! What, were we studying to be fucking Batman?"

(when I spelled "lot", I mistakenly typed "lotr". Oh, Freud.)
Old 07-04-06, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I have also seen the film. It is not Smith's best, but it's a lot of fun.
"We studied criminology! Criminology, for Christ's sake! What, were we studying to be fucking Batman?"

(when I spelled "lot", I mistakenly typed "lotr". Oh, Freud.)
Just curious, which do you find to be his best?

LOTR is a great slip - loved the impressions.
Old 07-04-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Clerks II - Update #2

One of our frequent contributors Tyler Foster recently sat down for an interview with Brian O'Halloran (Dante) and Jeff Anderson (Randal) when they were in Seattle and this is what they said about the Clerks II DVD:

Tyler Foster: Was anything major cut out of the film?

Brian O'Halloran: Well, actually, there was this really funny scene, which is the second half of the driving scene coming back from the go-karts, which was Randal's [and] I'm kind of upset to see go, because it was just so hysterically funny.

Jeff Anderson: You're upset to see go?

BH: Well, yeah, you had to memorize seven pages of dialogue.

JA: Seven pages and he cut the scene out. You'll definitely see that as a deleted scene, and it's gonna be a deleted scene. I hate to start hawking the DVD already, but that scene alone is worth the price of a DVD. It's a scene coming back from the go-kart track, whereby, I, in a quite convincing fashion, try and convince Dante how he could in fact impregnate his own mother through masturbation. It's a seven page scene in which I lay out every possible argument.

BH: And then there's another scene with Wanda Sykes and this other stand-up comic, Earthquake, who are two customers waiting for food. There's a scene going on between me and Rosario while making the food, and then there's their little side conversation where Kevin just said, you know, just make it look on camera like they're talking. It was so funny that he immediately flipped the camera around and just said "go" for a full eleven-minute mag of film, and we just let them riff. So I'm sure you'll have that customer rant on the DVD as well.

DAVISDVD.com

Last edited by gerrythedon; 07-04-06 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottReynolds
Just curious, which do you find to be his best?
I'm a cliche. It's Clerks, then Chasing Amy.
Old 07-05-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
When was the last good Kevin Smith movie ?

10 years ago?
Old 07-05-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been pretty disappointed in Smith since Chasing Amy. And I found Jay & Silent Bob and Jersey Girl to both be borderline unwatchable. But he never disappoints with the DVDs. I hate both of those movies, but I own the DVDs. The extras make it all worth it.

So, I'll be buying Clerks II no matter what, assuming it has a decent array of bonus material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.