Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman IMAX 3D version any good???

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know there are several other Superman threads going on right now and I'm sorry for adding one more. However, since the movie came out, it seems like the review threads have been filled with spoilers and I'm really trying to avoid those. What I really just want to know is how is the IMAX 3D version? Next week I'm going to be in the distant vicinity of an IMAX 3D screen in Boise, ID and was wondering if it was worth it to take that extra jaunt to see it their in lieu of just seeing the old 2D version. Thanks...sorry for another Superman thread.
Old 06-30-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In a good IMAX theater, the bass will rock you to the core, and the visuals are just amazing. The 3D footage can be a little chaotic to watch, but some of the 3D footage is very engaging, though it's only 4 sequences totalling 20 minutes.

I saw the film first in 2D (to get a handle on the story, and then saw it in IMAX 3D to get the best of the audio/visual presentation).
Old 06-30-06, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was disappointed. It's not IMAX projection (just a blowup of a 35mm) print, and only a few sequences are in 3D. Also, nothing was filmed in 3D. A post-production team built the 3D stuff from the 2D print. Not nearly as mind-blowing as actual productions made for IMAX 3-D in mind.

Sound was great, though.
Old 06-30-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since I knew that it was only going to be 3D for about 20 minutes, my main objective was to enjoy the film in a big way, and IMAX does succeed on that front.
Old 06-30-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I saw it at the IMAX. 20 minutes of 3D footage spread out over four scenes really wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped. It seemed more of a gimmick than a legitimate reason to pay extra to see it.
Old 06-30-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 3D was pretty cool...but forget about that, the IMAX version is much superior in terms of just clarity and colour. The fact that they did part in 3D is just a bonus...the IMAX version is really the best way to see this. Not sure what Groucho was hoping for, but this is remastered for IMAX the same way past Warner features have been, and that alone is worth the extra effort...the movie looked stunning (not like when I saw a 35mm print the night before).

Go for the movie in BIG IMAX, get the 3D as a bonus.

MATT
Old 06-30-06, 09:14 AM

Me and the people I went with thought it was worth seeing in IMAX 3D. Makes me all the more excited to see all six Star Wars movies that way starting next year. I've never seen a "created for IMAX" movie before, but I assume they use usually use the entire screen, meaning that they are square instead of rectangular? This movie didn't (not that it mattered, really) and it actually had black bars at the top and bottom.
Old 06-30-06, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Not sure what Groucho was hoping for, but this is remastered for IMAX the same way past Warner features have been
I don't know if you've seen a film shot on IMAX in an IMAX theater, but the difference between that an a 35mm blow up for IMAX is day and night.
Old 06-30-06, 10:14 AM
Banned

I'm debating whether to see this in IMAX tonight or at a regular theatre. Was there any editing done to the IMAX version? Wasn't that an issue when Attack of the Clones was released in IMAX? I thought I remembered that. Time issues or something. Also, it seems it is shown in OAR on the IMAX screen, from previous posts, so that is good.

Last question, are there 3D glasses involved?
Old 06-30-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I'm debating whether to see this in IMAX tonight or at a regular theatre. Was there any editing done to the IMAX version? Wasn't that an issue when Attack of the Clones was released in IMAX? I thought I remembered that. Time issues or something. Also, it seems it is shown in OAR on the IMAX screen, from previous posts, so that is good.

Last question, are there 3D glasses involved?
It used to be that Imax couldn't handle more than two hours of film or something...but they've expanded it since AOTC came out. I heard somewhere that they needed to cut three-minutes from SUPERMAN RETURNS, but instead of cutting anything, they just sped up the end credits.

Yes, there are glasses involved. You'll get on-screen cues as to when to put them on and take them off.
Old 06-30-06, 11:49 AM

Yeah, a big thumbsup to the quick end credits. That was nice.

Another plus was the reserved seats.

(just wanted to show that I'm not a complete negative Nancy )
Old 06-30-06, 12:44 PM
Banned

Good to hear. What are the on screen cues like? I haven't been to a 3-D movie since I was a kid. Do regular spectacles interfere with the 3-D glasses?

No reserved seating for us. I'm seeing it at the brand new IMAX theatre at the Pittsburgh Mills mall. First come first served.
Old 06-30-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the imax is awesome, the scene when they are in the yacht and its in 3D looks awesome, the water feels like its coming right out of the screen
Old 06-30-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
Good to hear. What are the on screen cues like? I haven't been to a 3-D movie since I was a kid. Do regular spectacles interfere with the 3-D glasses?

No reserved seating for us. I'm seeing it at the brand new IMAX theatre at the Pittsburgh Mills mall. First come first served.
That's where I saw it SonOfAStu! You'll get a green glasses symbol across the bottom of the screen (three of them) to let you know when to put the glasses on, and a red glasses symbol with a circle and a line through them to let you know when to take them off.

My girlfriend wears glasses and had no problems with the 3-D glasses fitting over her regular glasses.
Old 06-30-06, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, a big thumbsup to the quick end credits. That was nice.

Another plus was the reserved seats.

(just wanted to show that I'm not a complete negative Nancy )
No reserved seats here! (Columbus, Ohio).

The glasses come in different sizes, are hard plastic and unlike Chicken Little 3D, which used the same kind of 3D (this is not the same kind of 3D as the ones with the cardboard glasses), the don't let you keep the glasses.
Old 06-30-06, 08:38 PM
Banned

Here's a warning!
Go after 5pm, because I went to the 11:00am showing and there was some sort of school bus of 5th graders. So it being summer there must be a lot of this for the early shows, now what differance is there? Well, you get kids getting up a lot,making noises,talking in all the non-action scenes etc,etc.
Old 06-30-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't know if you've seen a film shot on IMAX in an IMAX theater, but the difference between that an a 35mm blow up for IMAX is day and night.
I have seen a few "shot for IMAX" films before and they do look different... the aspect ratio and extra resolution at the source definitely make the difference visable, that's for sure but I guess the reason I WASN'T surprised is because the digital transfer to IMAX that was done with Superman Returns is the same process Warner has been using for years with IMAX (ie. Harry Potter, Batman Begins etc.).

It would be wicked if a movie like Superman could be shot on IMAX, but it just isn't cost effective and I highly doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Although I think the results from the current conversion process are pretty damn good...the movies looks spectacular on that screen anyhow and I'm certainly glad they aren't cropping them (ie. Attack of the Clones). I still like the results of the "blow up" and hope Warner and other studios keep doing this for some of their bigger films.

MATT
Old 07-01-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw the film at the chinese theater and at IMAX on tuesday night. I would say that the IMAX was a little better in quality than the theater version. I liked the 3D effects that were added. some weren't as great as others but it was still fairly neat to watch.
Old 07-01-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jack did you end up going to the Universal City Imax? How were the crowds over there?
Old 07-01-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Did the bridge. with assigned seating it was pretty much an easy going experience. I stopped going to city walk Imax because of the lines you have to wait in and the parking alone. Not worth it on that screen. The bridge was a nice experience.
Old 07-01-06, 03:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
If this is the same process they are using for Star Wars, I'm intrigued. Movie was kind of soul-less, but the 3D was impressive.
Old 07-01-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I enjoyed it alot. Just got back from the 11:45 show in Lincoln Center, NYC. 3D was pretty cool. Nothing spectacular. The plane sequence was awesome. Incredible sound.
Old 07-01-06, 05:46 PM

Which scenes are in 3D? I'll also make this request: Please spoiler the replies involving this question.
Old 07-01-06, 11:04 PM

Four scenes (not counting all of the previews before the film
Spoiler:
Ant Bully, Open Season, and Happy Feet.
Just in case someone wants to be surprised by what previews are shown. There are no other previews besides these three) totalling about 20 minutes of 3D-ness.

Here are three of the four 3D scenes. Can't remember the other one right now.
Spoiler:

Flashbacks of young Clark in Smallville running around, jumping thru the fields and stuff

Airplane/ shuttle rescue scene

Lifting Lex's new "continent" and taking it into space

Last edited by marioxb; 07-02-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 11:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
You just put the word spoiler in brackets, just like the other tags. Like {spoiler} {/spoiler}, but using [ ] instead.

Anyway, the fourth was
Spoiler:
the final glamour flyby shot that always ends Superman movies

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.