Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any good alternatives to Nicheflix?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-27-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, I hadn't visited the Nicheflix forums in quite a while, and I was shocked to discover that they are beginning to phase out the monthly subscriptions. This is very upsetting to me because I don't have nearly the amount of money to import all the titles that I'm interested in watching, and Nicheflix was a great supplement to my Netflix account.

So, does anyone know of a close alternative? I enjoy Asian films, but that is not the only thing that I'm after. Part of what I loved about Nicheflix is that they had an extensive collection of Asian films, but they also had quite a few European ones, American, animated, you name it. I understand that I should think of it logically and see this is an opportunity to save some money every month, but I would really like to find a new place. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering.
Old 06-28-06, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use cinflix for my asian movie/tvdrama fix. Haven't found anything good for European films yet.

btw, where did you see the talks about phasing out monthly subs? Is that the bulk of their business? I was poking around in the forum but didnt see anything specific.

NM found it here: http://www.nicheflix.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2197

Last edited by squidget; 06-28-06 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 09:54 AM

as squidget mentioned, Cinflix is an option. From their website:

"Your rental site for Asian and Foreign DVDs. We carry the Hottest titles from Korea, Hong Kong, India and Japan! We also carry European titles and hard to find cinema! Cinflix, Inc is the largest Asian online DVD movie rental service offering thousands of titles for rent that can not been found anywhere else!"

----------
I was a member of Cinflix for over 2 years but recently cancelled. It is not perfect, but it serves a need. I was mostly looking for Korean films and they sure do have a lot. Plus I was able to rent through all 9 discs of the TV melodrama "All In".

Drawbacks for me were long turnround times (I'm on the East Coast and they are based in Denver) and lots of wait times. Maybe I did not add enough titles to my queue because I often found myself with a lot of dead time. They used to have a deal where you could indicate that you had put your returns in the mail and they would immediately ship your next DVDs (a great feature for those who have to wait 5 days for returns to make it to Denver), but they cancelled this about a year or so ago. I thought they were considering bringing this back but I guess not.

Also, the ship 2 at a time is cumbersome. That means you have to return 2 at a time also. They do this for postage reasons and because they say their 2-pack bubble mailers are less susceptable to disc breakage in the mail.

I do expect to join again in about a year. Hopefully by then there will be a lot of new Korean films for me to put in the queue and maybe the shipping issues will have improved. It really is a good resource, especially to supplement a Netflix account (which of course does not carry R3 DVDs.
Old 07-01-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Hmm, Cinflix sounds interesting. I'll have to check that out. One thing that I don't like the sound of is having to have two discs sent to you at a time. Sometimes I just don't feel like watching certain things and I ended up repeatedly sending back one disc at a time.

Oh, well. It's very disappointing about Nicheflix because while their more in-demand titles were really difficult to get, they had so much different types of stuff. As divemaster said about Cinflix, Nicheflix was a perfect supplement for Netflix for me, especially because I don't like doing too many blind buys, especially with some often expensive imports. I'll keep my eyes open and maybe we can find some other possibilities. Thanks for the input so far.
Old 07-02-06, 01:36 PM

Cinflix is really lacking when it comes to Japanese titles though.