Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tori Amos boxed set "A Piano: The Collection" 9/26/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following up on the previous item we posted about an upcoming rarities box set, Undented has received a copy of the press release containing details of the set. A PIANO: THE COLLECTION, will be a five-disc, career-spanning box set consisting of classics, rarities, demos, B-sides and unreleased tracks. And yes, indeed, very exciting news for Toriphiles … Tori will finally introduce us to five very special songs: “Not David Bowie,” “Zero Point,” “Peeping Tommi,” “Ode To My Clothes” and “Dolphin Song.”

Presented in deluxe packaging that resembles a piano’s keyboard, this set will be released by Rhino Records on September 26, 2006, and will be available at regular retail outlets and at the Rhino Records website for a suggested price of $74.98.

Produced by Tori, the career-spanning collection highlights selections from her studio albums as well as b-sides and songs that debuted on Tales of a Librarian. Featuring numerous unreleased songs, the box set contains a total of 86 tracks that combine well-known studio versions with rare alternative mixes, including several songs Tori remixed for this project. A PIANO: THE COLLECTION also offers a revealing and extensive track-by-track commentary penned by Tori, who discusses the inspiration behind the songs and albums and explains why they were chosen for this box set.

The compilation’s first disc includes an extended version of Tori’s 1992 debut, Little Earthquakes. The classic album has been augmented not only with a different song sequence and alternate mixes but it also features it’s four original b-sides “Upside Down,” “Take To The Sky (Russia),” “Sweet Dreams” and an alternate mix of “Flying Dutchman,” as well as the previously unreleased, unedited single version of “Crucify.”

Spotlighting music recorded between 1994 and 1996, the second disc includes songs from Under the Pink and Boys for Pele. The 18 tracks blend original and remixed versions of albums cuts with the b-side “Honey” and “Professional Widow” performed live. Also included is “Take Me With You,” an unreleased song intended for Little Earthquakes. “At the time I just couldn’t finish it,” Tori writes in the liner notes. “When we found it, there were no lyrics to speak of, just music. So you’ll have something partly recorded in 1990 but with a vocal recorded in 2006…”

The third disc also includes songs associated with Boys for Pele plus 1999’s To Venus and Back and Tales of a Librarian: A Tori Amos Collection. The 15 songs feature original and remixed versions of album tracks as well as “Hey Jupiter” (Dakota Version) and “Professional Widow” (Armand’s Star Trunk Funkin’ Mix). Also featured is “Walk To Dublin (Sucker Reprise),” an unreleased track from the Pele sessions.

From the Choirgirl Hotel (1998), Scarlet’s Walk (2002) and The Beekeeper (2005) are the focus of the fourth disc, which contains 15 songs including original and remixed versions of album tracks. Also featured is the unheard intro for “Marys Of The Sea” from The Beekeeper as well as four previously unreleased songs “Not David Bowie,” “Zero Point,” “Ode To My Clothes” and “Dolphin Song.” In the liner notes, Tori writes: “Some songs seem to have a timeline for when they want to be finished and put out to the world. At the time when we were working on ‘Dolphin Song,’ I had all kinds of ideas for her development after the basic tracking had been done. Instead she got set aside for a while. But once we started to go through the tape library we put ‘Dolphin’ up on the faders again, and I realized we didn’t need to record anything else; it was finished.”

The final disc features 22 tracks spotlighting Tori’s impressive list of renowned b-sides and includes the exclusive digital release “Merman” from 1999. For what could be the most intriguing addition to the collection, Tori invites listeners into her artistic process with a medley of demos for the songs, “Fire-Eater’s Wife/Beauty Queen,” “Playboy Mommy” and “A Sorta Fairytale.” Amos explains in the liner notes: “I’m usually pretty reticent to expose the musical development process…The demo medley was a choice I made so that other songwriters can feel an affinity with the idea that songwriters have to push themselves and not just accept the first incarnation that you are presented with. Each of these three songs are presented here in their completed form somewhere within the box set so you can see conception to development.”

The track listing for A PIANO: THE COLLECTION is as follows:

* = previously unreleased
Disc 1
1. “Leather” (Alternate Mix)
2. “Precious Things” (Alternate Mix)
3. “Silent All These Years”
4. “Upside Down”
5. “Crucify” (Unedited Single Version)*
6. “Happy Phantom”
7. “Me And A Gun”
8. “Flying Dutchman” (Alternate Mix)
9. “Girl”
10. “Winter”
11. “Take To The Sky (Russia)”
12. “Tear In Your Hand”
13. “China”
14. “Sweet Dreams”
15. “Mother” (Alternate Mix)
16. “Little Earthquakes”

Disc 2
1. “Cornflake Girl”
2. “Honey”
3. “Take Me With You”*
4. “Baker Baker” (Alternate Mix)
5. “The Waitress” (Alternate Mix)
6. “Pretty Good Year”
7. “God”
8. “Cloud On My Tongue”
9. “Past The Mission” (Alternate Mix)
10. “Bells For Her”
11. “Yes, Anastasia” (Alternate Mix)
12. “Blood Roses”
13. “Mr. Zebra”
14. “Caught A Lite Sneeze” (Alternate Mix)
15. “Professional Widow” (Merry Widow Version – Live)
16. “Beauty Queen/Horses”
17. “Father Lucifer”
18. “Marianne”

Disc 3
1. “Walk To Dublin” (Sucker Reprise)*
2. “Hey Jupiter” (Dakota Version)
3. “Professional Widow” (Armand’s Star Trunk Funkin’ Mix)
4. “Putting The Damage On”
5. “Bliss” (Remixed Version)
6. “Suede”
7. “Glory Of The 80’s”
8. “1000 Oceans”
9. “Concertina” (Single Remix Version)
10. “Lust”
11. “Datura”
12. “Sugar” (Live from sound check)
13. “The Waitress” (Live)
14. “Snow Cherries From France”
15. “Doughnut Song” (Remixed Version)

Disc 4
1. “A Sorta Fairytale”
2. “Not David Bowie”*
3. “Amber Waves”
4. “Iieee” (Remixed Version)
5. “Playboy Mommy” (Remixed Version)
6. “The Beekeeper”
7. “Jackie’s Strength”
8. “Zero Point”*
9. “Sweet The Sting”
10. “Ode To My Clothes”*
11. “Spark”
12. “Intro Jam”* and “Marys Of The Sea”
13. “Cruel” (Remixed Version)
14. “Dolphin Song”*
15. “Gold Dust”

Disc 5
1. “The Pool”
2. “Never Seen Blue”
3. “Daisy Dead Petals”
4. “Beulah Land”
5. “Sugar”
6. “Cooling”
7. “Bachelorette”
8. “Black Swan”
9. “Mary” (Tales Version)
10. “Peeping Tommi”*
11. “Toodles Mr. Jim”
Demo Medley:
12. “Fire-Eater’s Wife/Beauty Queen” (Demo)*
13. “Playboy Mommy” (Demo)*
14. “A Sorta Fairytale” (Demo)*
15. “This Old Man”
16. “Purple People”
17. “Here. In My Head”
18. “Hungarian Wedding Song”
19. “Merman”
20. “Sister Janet”
21. “Home On The Range” (Cherokee Edition)
22. “Frog On My Toe”
Old 06-27-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
damn, this sounds good...
Old 06-27-06, 03:51 PM
Banned

Enh. It's kinda half-assed. There's a TON of already released stuff on there. You want to include all the b-sides in one place? Fine. Put alternate mixes on there and put demos...everything rare on it. But album versions? Casual Tori fans aren't going to shell out for this and everyone has the albums already anyway. Such a huge waste of space. What is a 5 disc set can be broken down to 3 or possibly 2.
Old 06-27-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yes, but some of us don't own everything she's put out (other than, perhaps, her albums). I, for one, don't have the time, energy or $$$ to track down every OOP release that might have an unreleased song or b-side on it. But I could see where a "die hard" longtime fan might be disappointed.

It's almost like the Hits/B-Sides collection WB put out for Prince. Actually, nevermind, since WB decided to EDIT all of the previously unreleased on CD b-sides..
Old 06-27-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Yes, but some of us don't own everything she's put out (other than, perhaps, her albums). I, for one, don't have the time, energy or $$$ to track down every OOP release that might have an unreleased song or b-side on it. But I could see where a "die hard" longtime fan might be disappointed.
That's why having an all b-side box would've been preferable. If some fans have most of the albums but can't or won't find most of the singles with b-sides, wouldn't it be better to release all non album tracks rather than a mix. Any casual fan of Tori's is going to already have at least half of these songs - granted a lot of the tracks will be new mixes, but I was hoping for all rareties.

Still what is new on this set looks interesting. As one of those "die hard" longtime fans I know I'll be getting it no matter what.
Old 06-27-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I had my fingers crossed that the duet she recorded with Michael Stipe would be on there.
Old 06-27-06, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I had my fingers crossed that the duet she recorded with Michael Stipe would be on there.
Me too.
Old 06-27-06, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue588

It's almost like the Hits/B-Sides collection WB put out for Prince. Actually, nevermind, since WB decided to EDIT all of the previously unreleased on CD b-sides..
That's my point. put the b-sides on there, fine. But album tracks are a HUGE waste of space.
Old 06-27-06, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
That's my point. put the b-sides on there, fine. But album tracks are a HUGE waste of space.
Exactly. This is just like the Echo and the Bunnymen boxset - that Rhino also did. A good chunk of great previously unreleased stuff, but SCADS of album tracks that anyone buying a 4-disc [or in this case 5-disc] box set is already going to have at least once. [And in the case of the Echo set, they didn't even include the track I really wanted on CD, the 12" mix of 'Lips Like Sugar'. Grrrr.] Come on Rhino, get with it.

That said, the alternate track order for "Little Earthquakes" looks intriguing. Then again, in this day and age it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to recreate at home without yet another copy of the album version of 'Silent All These Years' taking up space.

*Sigh* Of course I'll get it though - there's some good stuff there. Can't wait to finally hear 'Zero Point' for one. And the alternate versions are intriguing....
Old 06-28-06, 12:50 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm very much looking forward to picking this up. If the album tracks have been newly remastered, they may be worthwhile to have in this collection. Now we just need some CDs and/or DVDs of her older live performances.
Old 06-28-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
my girlfriend is gonna LOVE this...woohoo!
Old 06-28-06, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree, this is kind of a lame box set. If memory serves, there are still A LOT of B-Sides missing from this. I used to own all of Tori's CD singles (IMPORT and Domestic) from her "Little Earthquakes" period to "Boys For Pele" but sold them because, well, they were going for a ton of money on eBay and I needed the money and I was counting on a B-Sides collection coming out someday anyway. Looks like I'll have to wait longer.

Last edited by darqleo; 06-28-06 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by darqleo
I have to agree, this is kind of a lame box set. If memory serves, there are still A LOT of B-Sides missing from this. I used to own all of Tori's CD singles (IMPORT and Domestic) from her "Little Earthquakes" period to "Boys For Pele" but sold them because, well, they were going for a ton of money on eBay and I needed the money and I was counting on a B-Sides collection coming out someday anyway. Looks like I'll have to wait longer.
Your memory serves you well. I've compiled all the studio b-sides I own onto 4 CDs, live b-sides onto 2 CDs and about half of the remixes I own onto 2 CDs. There are a few released tracks that I'm missing, and add in new/unreleased material and they could easily make a 9 or 10 disc set of music and not include one album track.
Old 06-29-06, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tscott
Your memory serves you well. I've compiled all the studio b-sides I own onto 4 CDs, live b-sides onto 2 CDs and about half of the remixes I own onto 2 CDs. There are a few released tracks that I'm missing, and add in new/unreleased material and they could easily make a 9 or 10 disc set of music and not include one album track.
That's actually not true. If they include all the released b-sides (that's including album tracks and whatknot), it'd make about 4-5 discs.

And I know because I have ALL of them.
Old 06-29-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
odd that they would choose to re-order "Little Earthquakes", as I seem to recall that "Boys For Pele" was the album that benefitted most from rearranging the track order. (It might have been from arranging the songs in the order they appeared in the lyric book? It's been so long I can hardly remember...)

And just to add, yes, it does seem like there's a lot of padding here and a lot missing, as a lot of this stuff was JUST remastered, remixed, and re-released on Librarian- this should have been a COMPANION to that set, not redundant in relation to it. But I guess that's what you get when you leave a label and they have the rights to your stuff- they can keep doing whatever they want with it...

Not that I won't buy it anyway...

-jason
Old 06-29-06, 09:45 AM

That's actually not true. If they include all the released b-sides (that's including album tracks and whatknot), it'd make about 4-5 discs.

And I know because I have ALL of them.
I was saying 9 or 10 as an absolute maximum, but 5-7 discs would be a more realistic guess if they ever were to do this right.

As I said, the original non-album studio songs are about 4 discs (this includes songs from soundtracks and various artists discs and the bonus disc that comes with the live DVD), but live tracks will fill about 2 more discs, and then there's the remixes. I've got all the non-album studio tracks (only 'If 6 Was 9' and 'Strange Fruit' are from a bootleg disc, the rest are from the original source). I'm missing the Crucify Limited Single with 4 live tracks and there are 2 or 3 live releases on a few later compilation discs that I don't have.

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
odd that they would choose to re-order "Little Earthquakes", as I seem to recall that "Boys For Pele" was the album that benefitted most from rearranging the track order. (It might have been from arranging the songs in the order they appeared in the lyric book? It's been so long I can hardly remember...)
Actually, that rumor is about "From the Choirgirl Hotel". The liner notes for the first three albums are all in the correct order in the lyric book. Choirgirl has them in completely different order, so it was rumored that the liner notes were the original intended order. I haven't seen any proof to back that claim up, but I do know that the rumored track order does seem to have a very nice flow when listened to. I've burned myself a copy of that album in the new order and tend to prefer it to the original.
Old 06-29-06, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fuzzbox

And just to add, yes, it does seem like there's a lot of padding here and a lot missing, as a lot of this stuff was JUST remastered, remixed, and re-released on Librarian- this should have been a COMPANION to that set, not redundant in relation to it. But I guess that's what you get when you leave a label and they have the rights to your stuff- they can keep doing whatever they want with it...

Not that I won't buy it anyway...

-jason
This sums up my feelings exactly.

I was talking to a friend last night and he says that the album tracks are supposedly remastered. I'm not sure if that means remastered in the same way as Librarian or just a general remastering.

Tscott, I get what you're saying, though. If they used all the released stuff plus the extra stuff that this set will add, it would be around 7 discs probably.

I'm pissed that my all-time favorite Tori song (Space Dog) is completely ignored and seems to be the only one off of Pink that is. Plus, although I've been a fan since the beginning, I really prefer the Choirgirl to Venus era best. THOSE are the bonus songs I want.
Old 06-29-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This sums up my feelings exactly.

I was talking to a friend last night and he says that the album tracks are supposedly remastered. I'm not sure if that means remastered in the same way as Librarian or just a general remastering.

Tscott, I get what you're saying, though. If they used all the released stuff plus the extra stuff that this set will add, it would be around 7 discs probably.

I'm pissed that my all-time favorite Tori song (Space Dog) is completely ignored and seems to be the only one off of Pink that is. Plus, although I've been a fan since the beginning, I really prefer the Choirgirl to Venus era best. THOSE are the bonus songs I want.
Two versions of Playboy Mommy and no Raspberry Swirl, my favorite from Choirgirl, and no Black-Dove (January) or She's Your Cocaine.

No Talula either(which also was ignored on Tales).

If it makes you feel any better, if she had included Space Dog, I'm sure it would have been the live version, which is already on To Venus and Back.

I won't kid myself; I'll be in line at midnight to buy this, but it's absolutely frustrating that Tori would do this. Re-lease the earlier cds all remastered and give us a box set will all rarities. I guess it's easy for me to say, because I'll spend whatever on Tori, but if she was determined to release this box set the way she has, include everything including all the bonus tracks/b-sides and at least one version of all the cd tracks. I'd buy a 10 disc set.

No Smells Like Teen Spirit or any of the other 4 tracks, I believe, from that single/EP. I've never heard this "Lips Like Sugar" or the Michael Stipe duet either and now I may never hear them. I don't get the thinking behind this.
Old 06-29-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tscott
Actually, that rumor is about "From the Choirgirl Hotel". The liner notes for the first three albums are all in the correct order in the lyric book. Choirgirl has them in completely different order, so it was rumored that the liner notes were the original intended order. I haven't seen any proof to back that claim up, but I do know that the rumored track order does seem to have a very nice flow when listened to. I've burned myself a copy of that album in the new order and tend to prefer it to the original.
I told you it had been a while and I didn't remember. But you're absoloutely correct. BfP actually had a track order that made sense...

-jason
Old 07-05-06, 11:28 AM

The Tracks That Got Away

I too am disappointed that some b-sides and rarities have been left off. Look what's missing:

“Siren”
“Carnival”
“Only Women Bleed”
“After All”
“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
“Angie”
“Smells Like Teen Spirit”
“Operation Peter Pan”
“Losing My Religion”
“Butterfly”
“Alamo”
“Sister Named Desire”
“Samurai”
“All the Girls Hate Her”
“Over It”
“Bachelorette”
“Bug a Martini”
“Ruby Through the Looking Glass”
“Mountain”
“A Case of You”
“Do It Again”
“Famous Blue Raincoat”
“Finn”
“Garlands”
“Graveyard”
“Happy Workers”
“Humpty Dumpty”
“Ode to the Banana King”
“If 6 Was 9”
“Indian Summer”
“London Girls”
“That’s What I Like Mick (The Sandwich Song)”
“Me and You”
“Murder He Says”
“You Belong to Me”
“Ring My Bell”
“Seaside”
“Strange Fruit”
“Thank You”
“Tombigbee”
Old 07-12-06, 12:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by merchantpierce
I too am disappointed that some b-sides and rarities have been left off. Look what's missing:

“Siren”
“Carnival”
“Only Women Bleed”
“After All”
“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
“Angie”
“Smells Like Teen Spirit”
“Operation Peter Pan”
“Losing My Religion”
“Butterfly”
“Alamo”
“Sister Named Desire”
“Samurai”
“All the Girls Hate Her”
“Over It”
“Bachelorette”
“Bug a Martini”
“Ruby Through the Looking Glass”
“Mountain”
“A Case of You”
“Do It Again”
“Famous Blue Raincoat”
“Finn”
“Garlands”
“Graveyard”
“Happy Workers”
“Humpty Dumpty”
“Ode to the Banana King”
“If 6 Was 9”
“Indian Summer”
“London Girls”
“That’s What I Like Mick (The Sandwich Song)”
“Me and You”
“Murder He Says”
“You Belong to Me”
“Ring My Bell”
“Seaside”
“Strange Fruit”
“Thank You”
“Tombigbee”
I'd love to hear her doing "If 6 was 9". What album/single is that on?
Old 07-12-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Artist: Tori Amos
Album: Cornflake Girl [UK CD Single]
Year: 1994

Tracks:
1. Cornflake Girl
2. A Case of You
3. If 6 Was 9
4. Strange Fruit
Old 07-12-06, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
It's the limited edition digipack import version of the Cornflake Girl single- and nearly impossible to find. I was never able to find it 1994 when it was first released. Like I said above, "If 6 Was 9" and "Strange Fruit" off that single are the only two studio b-sides that I don't own on an official release (I had to resort to a bootleg rarities disc).
Old 07-12-06, 01:20 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to dig out my Tori singles to see what I have. I didn't buy them all, but I did buy some. I don't think I have the one with If 6 was 9. I'm 99% certain I don't infact as I think I remember I had to preview it online to even hear it.
Old 07-12-06, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vryce
I'll have to dig out my Tori singles to see what I have. I didn't buy them all, but I did buy some. I don't think I have the one with If 6 was 9. I'm 99% certain I don't infact as I think I remember I had to preview it online to even hear it.
I never even bothered. I think I bought the more recent ones as they came out but I have ALL of the b-sides from collecting and trading with a friend. Between the two of us, we got them all...including the live b-sides.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.