Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Night Watch - Russian w/ English subtitles?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question..

I was watching Night Watch the other night, and wanted to watch it in Russian with English subtitles. However, that was not one of the choices offered. If you watch it in Russian, you could watch it with (IIRC) Spanish and French subtitles, as well as English for the hearing impaired (which was sort of annoying).

Sadly, I ended up watching it with English dubbing.

Is there another version/region available that might offer this option?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try the flipside of the dvd (IIRC).
Old 06-26-06, 09:39 AM

I saw the review here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22101
but it notes that you can watch it in Russian with English subtitles. I don't remember that option being available - I'll look again - I swore the options were Spanish and French only. The third option - English for hearing impaired - displays thunder claps, laughs, insects buzzing, etc., which gets annoying after a while.

kms...yes, I did flip it - the one side in spoken in Russian (original) and the flip side is spoken in English (dubbing).
Old 06-26-06, 09:49 AM

After reading these two reviews (see below), I'm REALLY confused, but I think I finally have it figured out (thanks to one of my co-workers).

Interestingly enough, this review says that the flip side is a pan-and-scan version(???):
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/712/712002p1.html

However, this review says that in the spoken Russian version, the English subtitles are burned in, which I never realized. I went right to the menu, selected the Russian language track, and couldn't find the English subtitle option:

http://www.dvdmoviecentral.com/Revie...ight_watch.htm

Duh! on my part, I guess. I'll have to go back tonight and check it out.

Last edited by davejt1; 06-26-06 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 09:53 AM
Banned

UGH, I can't seem to get thru this movie without falling asleep. Does this movie have any action in it or what?
Old 06-26-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Billyspunk
UGH, I can't seem to get thru this movie without falling asleep. Does this movie have any action in it or what?

One cool scene with a truck that is it. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Day Watch the sequal is no better.

The marketing would have you believe that this is the next coming of something great... sadly it is not. Not much better that a direct to DVD vampire movie made here. I guess all the fuss is because it is a "Russian" movie.

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-26-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 10:10 AM

It's a little tricky, but here goes:

One Side A of the DVD you have the English dubbed version. On Side B you have the Russian with English subtitles version. What makes it confusing are two things:
1. The movie starts with a voiceover, which is spoken IN ENGLISH on the Russian version. However, the actual dialogue in the movie is in Russian.
2. The English subtitles are burned in to the image on Side B. You do not have to (and in fact, cannot) choose English subtitles from the menu... Just press play on Side B and you are good to go.

Side B also has a commentary, which Side A does not.
Old 06-26-06, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, what Chucky said. And personally I can't understand why some people don't like this movie. Sure it's slow in parts, but that doesn't automatically make it bad. To each his/her own, though.

Can't wait for Day Watch.
Old 06-26-06, 01:43 PM

Thanks, Chucky (and Russell)! That's what confused me.
Old 06-26-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't understand the hate or dislike for this movie, myself and the wife watched this, this past weekend, and we both enjoyed it... in fact it was moving too fast and not explaining enough, so was definitely NOT boring.

And yes, the flipside/Russian side, you need to play with no subtitle options selected.
Old 06-26-06, 02:00 PM

Sorry. I am still confused about the subtitles on this DVD. After I mistakenly watched the English dubbed version of this movie, I flipped the disc over to see if I could find the subtitles everyone kept talking about (i.e. the ones with the blood effects, etc.) All I saw were computer generated subtitles, granted they 'moved around', but I saw no burned-in ones.

Does anyone have a screen cap of what they look like? I already returned the rental.

TIA.
Old 06-26-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I remember correctly, the blood effect subtitles showed up early in the film. They took the place of similar blood effects that the original Russian release used during the start credits.
Old 06-29-06, 07:17 PM

All of the effects used in the subtitles were in the Fox Searchlight international cinema release. The Russian Region 5 DVD has different English subtitles.
Old 06-30-06, 04:47 PM

I was pretty disappointed with this movie-it seemed like it would've been awesome. There were, like 40 copies at my blockbuster and the Tarantino quote (which means nothing) said something to the effect of "1st lord of the rings, now this!" Alas. At least the subtitles were cool.