Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Continued from Part III

I'd decided that I was in no hurry to get a DSLite, and that I'd be fine with my old one and that maybe I'd wait and see if they were going to release some new colors first...well I'm just proud of myself for holding out this long.

So not only did I cave in a buy a DSLite, but also I caved in and finally bought Super Princess Peach, and embarrassingly enough, I'm really liking it. Even though it's not very hard, it reminds me vaguely of Super Mario Bros. 2. It kind of has a side-story feel, in that it's sort of Mario but not quite. It also brings back the hearts and Princess Peach and her floatiness. It also lets you pick up and throw enemies again. I beat the first level last night (and got all 16 Toads) and played about half-way through the second level today. Maybe I'll do some more shopping and then get mad and cry some more tonight.
Old 06-25-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking about getting Super Princess Peach and Tetris DS in the TRU sale, but I don't know what to get as the free game. A lot of people seem to love Animal Crossing, but it just doesn't seem like my type of game. I was considering Sudoku, since I'm hooked on the one that's included in Brain Age, but I have a feeling that it'll go on sale/clearence relatively quickly. I don't see many people here talking about the Metroid game anymore. Is it not that good? If only Mario Kart was included in the sale: I'd definitely get that one.
Old 06-25-06, 06:33 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peach is very fun game, nothing to be embarrassed about. I played the hell out of it and unlocked everything.
Old 06-25-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay, so I mentioned the Part III that in the TRU sale you can buy two of these and get one free:

New Super Mario Bros.
Tetris DS
Sudoku Gridmaster
Animal Crossing
Super Princess Peach
Metroid Prime Hunters

If for some reason you need to buy two copies of a game, you can do that too. I got 2 copies of New Super Mario Bros. (one for my brother) and Animal Crossing.

Sdcrym mentioned that the Sudoku game wasn't out yet. I guess that's why I didn't actually see the game on the shelf. It comes out tomorrow according to IGN.
Old 06-25-06, 07:05 PM

Ok guys great deal I traded in my PSP and 8 games (it was just sitting there never played it havent charged the battery in close to two months) For a DS LITE. I got a new DS Lite Both super mario brother games, metroid prime, mario cart, resident evil and a rumble pack and still had enough money left over to pre purchase Madden 2007 for the PS2 and I have played the DS more today than I think I ever did with my PSP.
Old 06-25-06, 07:22 PM

I bought my girlfriend a DS Lite and Super Princess Peach. She loves it; and I really can't seem to sneak it away from her. :P

But I'm debating if I should buy one for myself now or wait for the black one.
Old 06-25-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't be ashamed of playing Princess Peach I thought it was a great platformer and very underrated. It and NSMB are definitely my favorite two games next to Dragon Quest VIII for the entire year. I was considering Sudoku Gridmaster, but the reviews are far from inspiring so I will wait for that one to hit a clearance rack. I still have half the puzzles left in Brain Age anyway.

After the CC deal I'm overloaded with games and really don't plan on buying anything for awhile. I'm getting spoiled at picking up all this great stuff under $10.

I'm trying to finish Dragon Quest VIII and FFIV and have also started playing Ultimate Spiderman, Madden 06, Mario Party Advance, Drill Dozer and DK King of Swing. I'm in portable gaming overload.
Old 06-25-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I'm in portable gaming overload.
No shit. I am in the same boat.

The DS is my first Nintendo system ever (my best friend had a NES in high school so I always just played his...I had my lowly Atari 7800 ). In two weeks time I have gone from never playing my Xbox to a DS with 18 DS games and 18 GBA games thanks to the CC sale as well as some great buys at Half.com and Ebay. And I still have a bunch of DS & GBA games I want to buy! Crazy.

My wife and I are going to Cancun for vacation next week for our 10th and I see the DS getting a lot of action while my wife sees very little action.

I am loving it so far and am happy I took the plunge. I had decided to wait on a PS3 or 360 and this will hold me over (possibly indefinitely) until 2007 or 2008 when price changes and cheap games are plentiful.

I haven't heard or seen Dragon Quest. Is it worth checking out?
Old 06-25-06, 09:17 PM

Can anyone confirm the in store prices for
tetris DS
Princess peach
Metroid prime hunters

Are they all $29.99? and buy 2 get 1 free. My girl took away my Tetris and has been playing it since 2 weeks ago I think it would be about time to get my own copy for the 2nd time.

Does anyone here have Metroid hunters even though the controls arent the best is it worth a purchase with the buy 2 get 1 free promo?

Last edited by BBEANLPHIE; 06-25-06 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-25-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I haven't heard or seen Dragon Quest. Is it worth checking out?
Dragon Quest VIII is the one console title I'm playing right now. Its amazing, but its a PS2 title. Everything else I'm playing is on the DS or GBA.
Old 06-25-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm trying to finish Dragon Quest VIII and FFIV and have also started playing Ultimate Spiderman, Madden 06, Mario Party Advance, Drill Dozer and DK King of Swing. I'm in portable gaming overload.
Wow kind of similar. I'm towards the end of FFIV but the random encounters are really starting to grate. DQVIII is still going strong (only about 20 hrs in) but finding the time to dedicate to decent play chunks is proving difficult. I'm over 60% complete on my brain age sudoku puzzles, so determined to finish those. I've got NSMB on the shelf, but the gameplay just doesn't work for me for train trips, particularly with the lack of save points. So not sure when I'll get round to that.
Old 06-25-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also the stores I visit over here still can't manage to keep stock of lites. I could probably ordered one but I haven't bothered yet.
Old 06-25-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
Can anyone confirm the in store prices for
tetris DS
Princess peach
Metroid prime hunters

Are they all $29.99? and buy 2 get 1 free. My girl took away my Tetris and has been playing it since 2 weeks ago I think it would be about time to get my own copy for the 2nd time.

Does anyone here have Metroid hunters even though the controls arent the best is it worth a purchase with the buy 2 get 1 free promo?
The ad has only Tetris at $29.99. Animal Crossing, Metroid, Princess Peach, & Super Mario Bros. are all priced at $34.99. Sudoku Gridmaster is the cheapest at $19.99 which wouldn't make it a very good deal if you used it as your free one.

Wonder if I could throw on that $5.00 TRU coupon that was posted in the other thread on top of this deal?

As far as the controls for Metroid, I played the demo and it was a little difficult to get used to. I didn't play it long enough to know if it gets better with time or worse. I have read that a thumb stylus is the way to go for that particular game though.

I still can't make up my mind whether to give Animal Crossing a try. What I have read sound interesting but not necessarily fun...kind of like The Sims.
Old 06-25-06, 11:55 PM

I played Super Princess Peach last November (Import); good game I thought. It was different and made for interesting fun. Nice compare job to Super Mario Bros. 2; it did have that vibe of being out of the series in the same way, but providing a different prospective as well. I'd give it a B.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 06-25-06 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still on the fence about Super Princess Peach. Wish the Toys 'R Us deal had another game that interested me.
Old 06-26-06, 05:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

anyone play gba games on the ds lite? i have the old gba sp, was looking to up grade and thought i might as well get the ds lite. how does the gba games look on the ds lite? does the game play on the top or bottom screen? are the games stretched to fill the screen since the ds lite has a bigger screen than the gba sp? can someone post a pic of their ds lite with gba game on it? thanks in advance

Last edited by diespine; 06-26-06 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by diespine
anyone play gba games on the ds lite? i have the old gba sp, was looking to up grade and thought i might as well get the ds lite. how does the gba games look on the ds lite? does the game play on the top or bottom screen? are the games stretched to fill the screen since the ds lite has a bigger screen than the gba sp? can someone post a pic of their ds lite with gba game on it? thanks in advance
Don't have a pic handy but it puts a small border around the screen on the GBA titles. I'm actually liking the way GBA games play on the DS Lite. The colors are very solid and the Lite really sits well in your hands so you feel in full control while playing. I had a lot more fun playing DK King of Swing on the Lite than I did with the micro.

You can set up the Lite to play GBA games on either the top or bottom screen. Really all you lose with the Lite is connectibility for GBA games. That and the cart sticks out a bit from the GBA slot.
Old 06-26-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which slot on the Lite is the one you put DS games in? I can't see it?
SLOT 2 = GBA games
SLOT 1 = DS Game Cards (?) Its not slot 1 anyway.

EDIT: Doh, ignore me, I put the DS game in Slot 1 the wrong way It works now.

Last edited by grim_tales; 06-26-06 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Which slot on the Lite is the one you put DS games in? I can't see it?
SLOT 2 = GBA games
SLOT 1 = DS Game Cards (?) Its not slot 1 anyway.
It's slot 1. Label faces out, towards the back of the DS.
Old 06-26-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I've had my DS Lite for a day over 2 weeks now, and it's consumed an insane amount of my time. But as such, I've beaten my games, anyone mind recommending a few new ones? I played the hell out of New Super Mario Bros and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (which I have to say, was one of the most incredibly fun games I've played in a long time), and was hoping to find something similar to those two. Also have Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, and Brain Age. Any suggestions?
Old 06-26-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
I played the hell out of New Super Mario Bros and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (which I have to say, was one of the most incredibly fun games I've played in a long time), and was hoping to find something similar to those two.
Pick up the three GBA Castlevania games (or CoTM plus the Aria/Harmony double pack).
Old 06-26-06, 12:19 PM
Retired

I'd reccomend princess peach for another DS platformer.

As for castlevania, the obvious reccomendation is to pick up the GBA castlevania games. If you can find it, there is a cart that has both Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow on it.

You'd probably dig the 2 GBA metroid games as well.
Old 06-26-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, The Bus

Project Rub is kind of a wierd game, but funny!
Old 06-26-06, 01:08 PM

I bought a lite on launch, and been hooked on mario kart, awesome awesome game. Let me ask the question again about Metroid Hunters for the ds.

Hows the controls? The games? Is it worth it? I've heard people can only play 30 minutes at a time, due to finger cramps...
Old 06-26-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, you do have the option of "looking" with the abxy buttons instead of using the stylus. I've only played (the full version) at DS kiosks but found that method of control easier for me. I plan on picking this up soon, but if the button looking wasn't an option I might not have considered it.

I'm sending back the replacement DS Lite Nintendo sent to replace my DS Lite (cartridge recognition problem) since it (the one sent by Nintendo) had that stuck pixel. My local CC finally got some more in and I exchanged it for another.

Hopefully I won;t have wnymore problems, because this is a really cool piece of hardware!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.