Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One/Only Nintendo DS Discussion Thread Part IV: "I Finally Caved In" Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Pick up the three GBA Castlevania games (or CoTM plus the Aria/Harmony double pack).
As for castlevania, the obvious reccomendation is to pick up the GBA castlevania games. If you can find it, there is a cart that has both Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow on it.
Picked up the Double Pack from EB used late last week. (and realized how nice having the map/stats on the second screen was .) How's Circle of the Moon? Will have to pick up S. Princess Peach. Curious, anyone tried out the (imported) Naruto games or Jump! Super Stars?

Hows the controls? The games? Is it worth it? I've heard people can only play 30 minutes at a time, due to finger cramps...
I played quite a bit of MP:H last weekend in vs. mode with some friends, the ABXY controls are easy on the hands, tho they are not the most accurate. The touchpad controls work wonderfully, though take a little getting used to. I had no issues with cramping up but I'm sure some will.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-26-06 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 01:40 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My hands cramp on Metroid, but it is better with the Lite.

I'd only reccomend it if you're into the wifi multiplayer though, as controls aside the single player mode leaves a lot to be desired with uninspired level design and repeating (and lame) bosses.
Old 06-26-06, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
Thanks, The Bus

Project Rub is kind of a wierd game, but funny!
Is this the same as Feel the Magic or Rub Rabbits? I played the first one over the weekend and LOVED it. Not sure how long the game will stick with me, but I really enjoyed the use of the DS' features (the sailboat mini-game is amazing) and the game just oozes style. It's an old title, but one that anyone new to the DS via the Lite should look into picking up. I think you can get it pretty cheap used.
Old 06-26-06, 03:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Wonder if I could throw on that $5.00 TRU coupon that was posted in the other thread on top of this deal?
This might be a YMMV but I bought New Super Mario Brothers $34.99, Animal Crossing $34.99, Tetris DS $29.99(FREE).
The cashier scanned the $5 TRU coupon and it took $5 off both NSMB and AC.
Try it out.
Old 06-26-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is this $5 coupon of which you speak?
Old 06-26-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by sdcrym
What is this $5 coupon of which you speak?
It was in the old thread on page on page 30 (brought to you by fellow member Jcheckel) but for some reason did not get a lot of love.

Here is the link: http://www7.toysrus.com/our/tru/prom...pon/5index.cfm

Gonna have to try it...especially if it took 5 bucks off each.
Old 06-26-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still can't make up my mind on Animal Crossing or not. I posted a question about it in the thread for the game and one whole person responded. I know others will respond in here...opinions on the game?
Old 06-26-06, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've had my DS Lite for a day over 2 weeks now, and it's consumed an insane amount of my time. But as such, I've beaten my games, anyone mind recommending a few new ones? I played the hell out of New Super Mario Bros and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (which I have to say, was one of the most incredibly fun games I've played in a long time), and was hoping to find something similar to those two. Also have Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, and Brain Age. Any suggestions?

There's another Castlevania game (Portrait of Ruin) and a 2D Metroid coming later this year.
Old 06-26-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by daniel18
and a 2D Metroid coming later this year.
Maybe. AFAIK, it hasn't been confirmed, and there really hasn't been any information about it at all. Even if it does come eventually, I can't imagine it coming this year..
Old 06-26-06, 05:04 PM

BTW - I used the TRU $5 coupon to snag Feel the Magic for about $5 and it was certainly worth it. I think that you can get Polarium for $5 as well, but my TRU did not have it.
Old 06-26-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Still can't make up my mind on Animal Crossing or not. I posted a question about it in the thread for the game and one whole person responded. I know others will respond in here...opinions on the game?
It's just a game that keeps bringing you back every day to fix up your town. I found it addicting to get a bigger house to put more stuff in it. Its one of those games that you can get away from everything into this other world where people know you. You can go fishing, collect bugs, find fossils, buy all sorts of furniture, overall a very deep game.
Old 06-26-06, 05:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Is anyone else getting excited about the DS internet browser? I saw this on digg the other day: My Opera DS Browser hands on.
Old 06-26-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
It's just a game that keeps bringing you back every day to fix up your town. I found it addicting to get a bigger house to put more stuff in it. Its one of those games that you can get away from everything into this other world where people know you. You can go fishing, collect bugs, find fossils, buy all sorts of furniture, overall a very deep game.
I agree, Animal Crossing is a little difficult to describe, it's fairly unique and not something you necessarily "beat" in the sense of other games, it's a daily game, you'll be playing it every day, sometimes for hours, sometimes just a little while. Unlike the sims, you actually control your character, and IMO that makes it way more fun because you're a character in the game, instead of just telling one what to do. Also there's something happening in town everyday whether you're playing or not, and it has much more personality than the sims. It was my addiction for a good number of months, I still put it in every once and awhile and check how my town is doing. There is a lot to do in it, fishing, collecting fossils, paintings, arranging your house and new furniture, help your neighbors out (who are really weird sometimes), it might not sound like fun if you've never done it but its incredibly addicting, and a blast to visit other peoples towns on this board and have them visit you. There's still an active community in the AC thread, and if you're lucky Beandip will beat you over the head with his butterfly catching net.
Old 06-26-06, 06:48 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
FYI, my local Wal*Mart has put the DS Lite on sale for $123.88. Not sure if it's a limited time deal, or their everyday low price.

I'm kicking myself that I passed up the free Brain Age offer.
Old 06-26-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
FYI, my local Wal*Mart has put the DS Lite on sale for $123.88. Not sure if it's a limited time deal, or their everyday low price.

I'm kicking myself that I passed up the free Brain Age offer.
If you haven't bought one yet, head to Toys-r-us where they are having the special DS Lite Bundle-$149.96:
DS Lite
Brain Age
Big Brain Academy
Brain Age Kit(brain age themed carrying case + accessories).

That's an awesome deal.
Old 06-26-06, 08:23 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Just might have to do that.
Code:
 $150 DS Lite/Brain Age/Big Brain
  $35 New Super Mario Bros
  $35 Animal Crossing
 FREE Super Princess Peach
+ $15 Sudoku Gridmaster (using $5 coupon)
-------
 $250 (including tax) 
that I don't have... but could scrounge it up

Thanks!
Old 06-26-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, all of that for the same price as the PSP premium pack and about 100 times the fun. Excellent deal.
Old 06-26-06, 10:13 PM
Retired

I'd knock the Sudoku game off there, no point in buying it when you get 100 puzzles in Brain Age that will keep you busy for a while.

And I'm sure the Sudoku game will be on sale for $10 or so in a month or two.
Old 06-26-06, 10:34 PM

They should make a Leisure Suit Larry game for the DS. Would be a good way to take care of erections on the subway without looking too conspicuous.

On a side note, does anyone know the next "big title" coming out and when it will be arriving?
Old 06-26-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not much for a while but I'm looking forward to these

Harvest Moon 8/15
Starfox 8/28
FF3 9/12
Mega Man ZX 9/12
Draqgon Quest 9/12
Mario vs. DK 2 9/25
Old 06-27-06, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Curious, anyone tried out the (imported) Naruto games or Jump! Super Stars?
Jump Superstars is very fun as a multicart multiplayer game. Its basically Super Smash Brothers with tons of anime characters. However, without a couple other people who own the game, it probably isn't worth it. It has singlecart multiplayer, but only a few characters are usable, so it gets old very quickly. The single player is ok, mostly completing different stages according to some objective, such as not dying, not using a certain button, getting a specific number of kills, etc to unlock characters. The single player is fairly short and like a smash brothers game, the appeal is the multiplayer. It is fairly import-friendly. A guide is needed to figure out what objectives need to be done, but there isn't any real story to worry about.
Old 06-27-06, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, The Bus

Don't know about Feel The Magic but The Rub Rabbits is a sequel to Project Rub, it (Rub) amazingly rated 12+ in Europe. Maybe because of the love/dating theme.
The Japanese title of Rub was Where do Babies Come From?
I got New Super Mario Bros. today BTW, the giant Mario is really fun to control!
The positioning of the Y/B buttons is kinda awkward for Mario games but oh well.
How can you save your game? After each level or only at certain points?
Old 06-27-06, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The positioning of the Y/B buttons is kinda awkward for Mario games but oh well.
Go into the options menu and change the default button layout. It works much better in the alternate option.
Old 06-27-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You can save when you open a mushroom hut or when you clear a tower or castle level.
Old 06-27-06, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys I cleared Bowser Jr.'s tower

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.