Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Broken Trail", Western (Walter Hill-directed, Robert Duvall), premieres on AMC 6/25

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Broken Trail", Western (Walter Hill-directed, Robert Duvall), premieres on AMC 6/25

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of Westerns, is anyone else tuning in to the premiere of "Broken Trail" (2006), a new Western miniseries, tonight - Sunday June 25th at 8pm EST - on AMC (American Movie Classics cable TV channel)? It's a two-parter with Part 2 being broadcast tomorrow - Monday June 26th. I'm sure AMC will have a number of re-broadcasts over the next week (Part 1 will be re-aired tomorrow before the premiere of Part 2).

The film is directed by Walter Hill ("48 Hours", "The Warriors", "Last Man Standing", and Westerns such as "The Long Riders", "Geronimo: An American Legend", and "Wild Bill"). It also co-stars Robert Duvall in a role that appears similar to his great performance in "Lonesome Dove", as well as the more recent "Open Range".

Following is a link to the official site for "Broken Trail" (you can check out a trailer there):
Broken Trail official site (and trailer)

Following is the IMDb listing (not much info. as of right now):
Broken Trail (2006) at IMDb
Old 06-25-06, 07:59 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm there.

Old 06-25-06, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me in. Didn't even know about it until I saw a commercial for it yesterday on IFC.
Old 06-25-06, 12:23 PM

The DVR is set to go. I was on here yesterday wondering where the Broken Trail thread was. No love for Walter Hill?
Old 06-25-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Super J
No love for Walter Hill?
Sadly I suspect a more precise answer would be...no love for Westerns.
Old 06-25-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really looking forward to this
Old 06-26-06, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone watch part one?
Old 06-26-06, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Anyone watch part one?
Yup, and i'll be watching part two tonight.
Old 06-26-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gabriel2
Yup, and i'll be watching part two tonight.
So, what did you think of Part 1? A brief thought or two would be appreciated. I only recorded it and will record Part 2 tonight...and watch it all in one sitting later in the week.
Old 06-26-06, 12:18 PM
Retired

Part one was pretty good. Not great or anything, but better than your average made for TV western.

Looking forward to part 2 tonight.
Old 06-26-06, 10:06 PM
Retired

Liked part II as well.

One of the better made for TV westerns I've seen.
Old 06-27-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Did they advertise more airings? Probably Tue., Wed etc.
Old 06-27-06, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Did they advertise more airings? Probably Tue., Wed etc.
I don't know if they advertised things any differently (haven't watched my copy yet). But the AMC schedule (as of right now) is showing surprisingly minimal replay dates of only July 6th and July 18th. Given how much they hyped this thing, I assumed it would receive numerous re-airings over at least the next month....at least over the next week and this weekend like you said. When TNT used to do these original productions I seem to recall them re-airing very, very often. I just can't believe they wouldn't be re-broadcasting this over the coming Fourth of July weekend.
Old 06-27-06, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched both parts and enjoyed both. It did seem a little too long though. It did get a bit boring at times, especially in the second half. Some scenes could have been edited out, and I wouldn't have missed it.

Is a TV movie like this likely to get a DVD release? I did like it well enough to own it on DVD.

Spoiler:
Why did that Chinese girl run out into the middle of the horse stampede, only to get trampled to death? I had to take a potty break, so I missed the events leading up to this.
Old 06-27-06, 08:06 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
I don't know if they advertised things any differently (haven't watched my copy yet). But the AMC schedule (as of right now) is showing surprisingly minimal replay dates of only July 6th and July 18th. Given how much they hyped this thing, I assumed it would receive numerous re-airings over at least the next month....at least over the next week and this weekend like you said. When TNT used to do these original productions I seem to recall them re-airing very, very often. I just can't believe they wouldn't be re-broadcasting this over the coming Fourth of July weekend.
I noticed this as well. I missed last night's installment and see that there aren't many options to catch it again.
Old 06-27-06, 01:12 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Spoiler:
Why did that Chinese girl run out into the middle of the horse stampede, only to get trampled to death? I had to take a potty break, so I missed the events leading up to this.
Spoiler:

She was the one who had been raped, and was depressed ever since saying she was a "ghost," "already dead," and had been to the "18th circle of hell already."

So she just killed herself.
Old 07-03-06, 11:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Is a TV movie like this likely to get a DVD release? I did like it well enough to own it on DVD.
Amazon says it coming out on DVD September 5, which may be a first, since AMC's website says none of their original shows are available on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...588522-1032715