DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comedy Central to roast William Shatner on August 20

This should be good.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.asp...omedycentral01

Aye, Aye Captain! COMEDY CENTRAL(R) to Roast William Shatner
Released by Comedy Central

Aye, Aye Captain! COMEDY CENTRAL(R) to Roast William Shatner

'The COMEDY CENTRAL Roast of William Shatner' to Air on Sunday, August 20 at 10:00 P.M.*

NEW YORK, June 21 -- COMEDY CENTRAL is taking command and putting William Shatner in the hot seat. Shatner is confirmed to brazenly travel where only the strongest have survived, as the all-comedy network's newest Roastee. The show is scheduled to tape in August in Los Angeles. "The COMEDY CENTRAL Roast of William Shatner" will air on Sunday, August 20 at 10:00 p.m.

"It takes a real man to follow Pamela Anderson into the Roast pit and William Shatner is truly a hero among men," said Elizabeth Porter, senior vice president, specials and talent for COMEDY CENTRAL. "By the end of this year's Roast, Shatner may wish he was in a galaxy far, far away."

William Shatner has cultivated a career that has spanned over 50 years as Emmy and Golden Globe Award-winning actor, director, producer, screenwriter, recording artist and author. He is one of pop culture's most recognizable figures and has also established himself as a major Hollywood philanthropist.

This year's edition of the Roast will be produced by Joel Gallen from Tenth Planet Productions, who will also executive produce and direct "COMEDY CENTRAL's Last Laugh '06." Last year's groundbreaking Pamela Anderson Roast was also produced by Gallen.

Tenth Planet Productions' Joel Gallen is the executive producer and Elizabeth Porter serves as the executive in charge of "The COMEDY CENTRAL Roast of William Shatner" for the network.

COMEDY CENTRAL, the only all-comedy network, currently is seen in more than 88 million homes nationwide. COMEDY CENTRAL is owned by Comedy Partners, a wholly-owned division of MTV Networks. COMEDY CENTRAL is a registered trademark of Comedy Partners. COMEDY CENTRAL's Internet address is http://www.comedycentral.com.

* All times ET/PT
Old 06-23-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Saw this earlier today - should be hilarious.

Denny Crane.
Old 06-23-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will his rug be off limits?
Old 06-23-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How will they be the able to insult or embarrass him anymore than he's already done to himself at some point in his career?

Old 06-23-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Instead of second rate comedians who've never actually met Shatner, bring in George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Walter Koening. They'll roast his ass right back into the Tholian Web.
Old 06-24-06, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This might even top the Pamela Anderson roast.
Old 06-25-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
I'll have to watch the eventual Saturday night airing
Old 06-26-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You think his wife's lack of swimming ability will be off-limits?
Old 06-26-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
You think his wife's lack of swimming ability will be off-limits?
He had his phaser set on alibi.
Old 06-27-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Instead of second rate comedians who've never actually met Shatner, bring in George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Walter Koening. They'll roast his ass right back into the Tholian Web.
But roasts are where people pretend to hate the guest of honor, as opposed to Takei, Nochols, Koening, etc. who actually hate his guts.
Old 06-28-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
But roasts are where people pretend to hate the guest of honor, as opposed to Takei, Nochols, Koening, etc. who actually hate his guts.
I wonder if their opinions of him haven't softened somewhat over the past few years, since most of their past criticisms have become so obviously true that both the public and Shatner himself make fun of him now as a shameless opportunist and media whore.
Old 06-28-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
I wonder if their opinions of him haven't softened somewhat over the past few years, since most of their past criticisms have become so obviously true that both the public and Shatner himself make fun of him now as a shameless opportunist and media whore.
Yeah, I saw Shatner recently in a commercial for a personal injury lawyer.

They have to get Kevin Pollack for the roast.
Old 06-28-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
This might even top the Pamela Anderson roast.
Not going to be hard to do IMO. I just rented that and watched it last night. It was not nearly as funny as I'd hoped. The roasters spent more time slamming each other (and even that was mostly about Tommy Lee's big schlong) than anything about Anderson (most jokes were about her tits - duh, we know - she's got a huge rack). The only person who did it right was Bea Arthur who was geniunely funny but was relentlessly bashed by the other guests - why on earth did she agree do be on that program?

Here's hoping this one takes a more legitimate approach at a roast and sticks to the target guest.

Last edited by rfduncan; 06-28-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, I saw Shatner recently in a commercial for a personal injury lawyer.

Are you sure you weren’t watching one of the “Crane, Schmidt & Poole” parody ads promoting Boston Legal?

I’ve even seen a few similarly-styled billboards around town, here.
Old 06-28-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
Are you sure you weren’t watching one of the “Crane, Schmidt & Poole” parody ads promoting Boston Legal?
Oh no, it was a real commercial for a local firm (Brown and Crouppen) for whom I've seen plenty of commercials for over the years.
Old 06-28-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh no, it was a real commercial for a local firm (Brown and Crouppen) for whom I've seen plenty of commercials for over the years.
Yeah, we have the Shatner ad (for another firm) in the New England area too. He shot a generic spot and then they fill in the firm afterward. Robert Vaughn used to do these too.
Old 06-28-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Yeah, we have the Shatner ad (for another firm) in the New England area too. He shot a generic spot and then they fill in the firm afterward. Robert Vaughn used to do these too.
Here in Richmond, we have them as well. I'm pretty sure there is at least one ad with Shatner and Vaughn. I have yet to see a Shatner, Vaughn, and David Leisure trifecta, though.
Old 06-28-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Hmmm, well, I'm almost positive that he said the name of the firm.
Old 07-01-06, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, well, I'm almost positive that he said the name of the firm.
Yeah -- the way the ads seem to be assembled, they shoot most of it and lock it down. They then have the actor who says the name rip through the 50 or 100 or however many firm names they have signed on. That's one of the weirdest things about taking a trip to somewhere unfamiliar -- so many of the ads of this nature are the same except for the firm name. It's been that way for at least a decade if I remember right.
Old 07-03-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a law firm ad with Robert Vaughn as well. I don't remember how he said the name though, if it was obviously dubbed in or what.
Old 07-03-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
I can't wait to see Nimoy on this thing (I'm assuming he'll be there). Those two really know how to go at each other (in a loving way)...should be great to hear what Leonard has to say about his friend.
Old 07-03-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I've seen a law firm ad with Robert Vaughn as well. I don't remember how he said the name though, if it was obviously dubbed in or what.
In a lot of the ads, I think they solve the voiceover problem by throwing up the slate with the firm name, phone number, and other microprint information about what attorney is on the hook if the state bar doesn't like the ad when the name is said.
Old 07-04-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
They should get a band to cover one of his "classic" songs.
Old 08-08-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Jason Alexander will be the Roast Master (Nimoy must have said no), while Zulu and Uhura will be roasters. I have a feeling that Takei's outing will be this year's Tommy Lee penis...maybe someone will find a way to combine the two...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.asp...omedycentral01

"COMEDY CENTRAL is taking command and putting William Shatner in the hot seat. Shatner will brazenly travel where only the strongest have survived and will be Roasted on Sunday, August 13 at The CBS Radford Studios in Los Angeles. Actor Jason Alexander will jump in the captain's seat as the evening's Roast Master. "The COMEDY CENTRAL Roast of William Shatner" will air on Sunday, August 20 at 10:00 p.m.

This year's Roasters include Andy Dick, Greg Giraldo, Lisa Lampanelli, Artie Lange, Nichelle Nichols, Patton Oswalt, Kevin Pollak, Jeffrey Ross, Sharon Stone, George Takei, Betty White, Fred Willard. In addition, talent confirmed to attend include Shatner's "Boston Legal" cast mates, Julie Bowen, Mark Valley, Rene Auberjonois, "TJ Hooker" costar Adrian Zmed, Star Trek alumni Brent Spiner, Jolene Blalock, actor Eric Roberts, actresses Lake Bell and Carrie Fisher, among many others."
Old 08-08-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
That's a decent line up. I can't wait to hear what Artie has to say.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.