Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buy.com's 10% off Amazon's BS

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Ordered some books from Buy.com. Most were cheaper than Amazon but one was $8 more. I ordered it from Buy.com anyway since I was ordering a number of other books from them. Buy.com has a price match policy that guaruntees they will beat Amazon's prices by 10%. If you find a cheaper price at Amazon simply email them and they'll refund you the difference.

I emailed them and got the following response in broken English:

Hello (John Smith),

Thank you for contacting Buy.com.

This is in reference to your email regarding the order #28195522.

We are unable to do a price match for the item whose price is exactly same as Amazon 90%.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Antonio
Buy.com Customer Service
www.buy.com

The price for the book at Buy.com is $26.99 and Amazon's is $18.89. From what i recall from elementary school mathmatics $26.99 is not 90% of $18.99.

I tried find a 1 800 number to callthem but can't locate it on their site.

Has anyone else had a problem with price matching at Buy.com?
Old 06-23-06, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Luck talking to them. They are the biggest idiots in the world. Had to call them about something with their free shipping policy a year or two ago. I think that these are the numbers, 877-780-2464 or 949-389-2000
Old 06-23-06, 09:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Someone gave me a gift card/cert for them for Christmas for $50. It was the worst gift ever. The cert disappeared off the first order when it was on the final order screeen. They told me I didn't apply it. I then had to place another order, in which they sent me the wrong item. Constant emails to them amounted to them basically saying tough sh*t. I will never use them again for any reason. A gift card goes up on ebay if it is received. Terrible customer service, and the prices aren't good enough to put up with crap service.
Old 06-23-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm tempted to just file a complaint with the credit card company which will cost Buy.com more than the cost of the difference just for the having to process the dispute.
Old 06-23-06, 09:25 PM

Yikes. Thank for posting that. I've been tempted by that deal in the past but won't bother with it now.

Last edited by radicaldeth; 06-23-06 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 09:54 PM
Cool New Member

Around 3 years ago, I ordered from Buy.com all the time, until I had an experience the horrors of which have never been matched by any other company I've ordered with online or off. Several months later, when the situation was resolved, I wrote them an e-mail stating that from then on my online shopping would be done at Amazon or DDD, and I can't say I've missed them even once.

Maybe things have changed in the last few years, but it's my opinion that anyone who orders from Buy is taking a risk far greater than they can likely justify.
Old 06-24-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ordering from Buy.com =
Old 06-24-06, 11:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing has changed with them. If something is way cheaper, I go to DDD(whose customer service is sketchy, and long delivery times), if Amazon is close I will order from them just because of the great service I have always received.
Old 06-24-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

buy.com and their dumbass CEO who likes shooting these stupid "give us a shot" commercials, will be in for a rude awakening. Sooner or later, the word of mouth is going to spread and they are going to take a hit.

Pathetic customer service, you email them a problem and they get back to you pretty fast, but the response is never of any help.

Terrible company.
Old 06-24-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You people are funny, I have used the Amazon price match like 20 + times and i have never had an issue.

May i ask which book you are having an issue with?
Old 06-24-06, 01:48 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not talking about Amazon price match, which I've never used. I'm just talking about good, basic service and reasonable customer service. Buy.com is fine, as long as everything goes normally, but if you have any problems, in my experience you can forget about it. I'd probably have about as much luck returning stolen merchandise bought from some guy on a street corner as I had dealing with Buy.com customer service.
Old 06-24-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
You people are funny, I have used the Amazon price match like 20 + times and i have never had an issue.

May i ask which book you are having an issue with?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...lance&n=283155

http://www.buy.com/prod/Ultimates_Vo.../33971099.html
Old 06-24-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i used buy.com a few years ago and had similar problems. never bought from then since. never will.
Old 06-24-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I had the same problem with a poker book I just purchased. It took several e-mails to even get them to match amazon. I said "your CEO is on TV several times a day saying 10% off Amazon, where's the rest"? I was then basically told to purchase the item on AMazon, which I did.
Old 06-25-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a CD from buy.com last year and had to return it because I got the same one as a gift. I returned it to their facility using the proper address and return authorization number and they claim they never received it. I realize now that I should have purchased delivery confirmation, but I've never had a problem with a return to any other vendor before. Haven't done business with them since and don't intend to.
Old 06-25-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Years ago I used to order from buy.com because they had great prices on DVDs. Then they started to send me my orders twice, as in a second shipment of the same stuff (but not charge me twice). Several times I made frustrated calls to their customer service who insisted their computers showed no signs of this happening. I finally stopped using them. About a year later, they sent me an email asking for payment for all the dupe shipments. I guess the computer finally figured it out.
Old 06-27-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well..... I got my books. One of them is clearly used. This book comes sealed in plastic from the manufacturer. It's not sealed, the hardcover has obviously been opened and read, the dust jacket is creased, bent and torn. The inner pages have been clearly flipped through, and has a large amount of water damage as the interior pages are warped.

It's bad enough they don't honor their policies but now they send defective used merchandise that they claim is new. I'll be sending this order back and never again will I order anything from them again
Old 06-27-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
Well..... I got my books. One of them is clearly used. This book comes sealed in plastic from the manufacturer. It's not sealed, the hardcover has obviously been opened and read, the dust jacket is creased, bent and torn. The inner pages have been clearly flipped through, and has a large amount of water damage as the interior pages are warped.

It's bad enough they don't honor their policies but now they send defective used merchandise that they claim is new. I'll be sending this order back and never again will I order anything from them again
Called them to return the damaged books. Almost needed a translator as the call goes to India. They wont refund my money for the damaged book, they will only replace it with another copy. I have to wait at least 2 weeks to get a replacement. The book was a gift for a friend this Friday. they even want me to pay return shipping.

Asked them about the pricematch on the other book and they said they won't honor it because they have free shipping. I told them if I ordered all my stuff from Amazon I would get free shipping as well so that shouldn't make a difference. They didn't care.

I guess I'll be asking for a chargeback from my credit card company. Screw Buy.com.
Old 06-27-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I emailed them and got the following response in broken English:

Hello (John Smith),

Thank you for contacting Buy.com.
I bet the book you were getting was the Dead Zone...

I have used it twice, and not had a problem at all. Just my two cents.
Old 06-28-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'll be asking for a chargeback from my credit card company. Screw Buy.com.
Old 06-28-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buy.com was pretty good back in the Internet Gold Rush days. Guess they had a lot of VC. Then the stock market tanked, buy.com was hit pretty bad and they started being bitches.

Remember when they instituted the "charge for telephone customer service?" That was the day that buy.com died. They are about one rung better than overstock, who I consider to be the devil incarnate.
Old 06-28-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing I ever bought from Buy.com was an ipod with a 10% off coupon. It came fine, but I would never order from them again. Poor site, tough to understand when ordering.
Old 07-08-06, 10:38 PM

I just had a fun one with them. I found they had a GPS on sale that I was interested in. It was $219 and I had a $15 coupon to use. I entered it to make sure it worked and was trying to decide whether to buy. At the bottom of the screen was their Buy.com Visa offer that supposed to take $15 off this order and $15 off the next and it gave my subtotal as $204 and in the ad took off $15 to give me a total of $189 if I signed up and was approved for the Visa card. I really did not want the Visa but this extra amount was enough to take me over the edge and order the GPS system so I signed up and was approved. When it carried me back to the cart screen, I had the 2nd coupon and it did give a total of $189. Only when I pressed proceed to order it was I told I could not use two coupons on an order. So I signed up for a credit card for a discount that made me buy something that I would not have bought without it and then after being approved for the card I was told I could not get that discount.

I contacted the 800 customer service number which is useless even if you can understand the person you are talking with. I finally got them to put me through to a supervisor after 45 minutes on two different calls to two different semi-English literate Indians only to be told over and over that I could not use two coupons. In the end, the funny thing is that I looked at the bottom of the screen after all the phone calls to see that the same Visa ad was there offering to give me $15 more off to get it at $174. Maybe if I sign up enough, I can get it free. Unfortunately I now have the credit card which I have canceled but that shows up on your credit report.

I will not buy from Buy.com again.
Old 07-09-06, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AlfB
I just had a fun one with them. I found they had a GPS on sale that I was interested in. It was $219 and I had a $15 coupon to use. I entered it to make sure it worked and was trying to decide whether to buy. At the bottom of the screen was their Buy.com Visa offer that supposed to take $15 off this order and $15 off the next and it gave my subtotal as $204 and in the ad took off $15 to give me a total of $189 if I signed up and was approved for the Visa card. I really did not want the Visa but this extra amount was enough to take me over the edge and order the GPS system so I signed up and was approved. When it carried me back to the cart screen, I had the 2nd coupon and it did give a total of $189. Only when I pressed proceed to order it was I told I could not use two coupons on an order. So I signed up for a credit card for a discount that made me buy something that I would not have bought without it and then after being approved for the card I was told I could not get that discount.

I contacted the 800 customer service number which is useless even if you can understand the person you are talking with. I finally got them to put me through to a supervisor after 45 minutes on two different calls to two different semi-English literate Indians only to be told over and over that I could not use two coupons. In the end, the funny thing is that I looked at the bottom of the screen after all the phone calls to see that the same Visa ad was there offering to give me $15 more off to get it at $174. Maybe if I sign up enough, I can get it free. Unfortunately I now have the credit card which I have canceled but that shows up on your credit report.

I will not buy from Buy.com again.

I actually did the same exact thing a few weeks ago. I sent them an email, got a basic response back, and it really pissed me off.

I will probably use the card for 1-2 years and then cancel it.