Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jumptheshark.com possibly Jumps the Shark?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-21-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

John Hein, the owner of the site, who also works on the Howard Stern show announced today that he sold the site to TVGuide. He couldn't say how much he sold it for, but it's over a million dollars....

Gemstar-TV Guide International Inc. has announced that it has acquired the popular TV and entertainment website jumptheshark.com and related assets from Jump the Shark Inc. Gemstar-TV Guide plans to develop and promote the website, created by Jon Hein, across its multiple media platforms. The site is a successful Internet destination where fans can debate whether popular television series have passed their prime. The term is a reference to the now-infamous Happy Days episode in which Fonzie literally jumped over a shark during a water-skiing scene. Additionally, Hein's unique voice will be integrated with TVGuide.com, TV Guide magazine and the TV Guide Channel. Mr. Hein said, "I'm thrilled to have Jump the Shark become a part of Gemstar-TV Guide. Since launching jumptheshark.com, we have covered over 3,000 shows with hundreds of thousands of pages of related content and trivia questions. I'm certain that regular users of Gemstar-TV Guide's media properties will find value and enjoyment in this content, as well as in the editorial content I will continue to create directly for them."
Hopefully it won't turn into a similar debacle that TV.com did w/ that one site. Hein apparently will stay on, and help w/ the site and write new stuff for TV guide.
Old 06-22-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they don't give give it the complete TV.com rewrite, but the site could use some updating. The comments section for each show is just one long thread of posts with little formating. For more popular shows it's difficult and daunting task to read through them.
Old 06-22-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I've never cared for the site. I enjoyed his book but the site was always a bit of a mess.
Old 06-22-06, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
the site was always a bit of a mess.
You're being too kind.
Jumptheshark.com makes aintitcoolnews.com look visually appealing.
Old 06-22-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Well, I think John explained that he never had anyone help him w/ the site. He was the one and only person that ever did work. So, I'd imagine TV Guide may spruce it up a tad.
Old 02-18-09, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jumptheshark.com possibly Jumps the Shark?

Originally Posted by Deftones
Hopefully it won't turn into a similar debacle that TV.com did w/ that one site. Hein apparently will stay on, and help w/ the site and write new stuff for TV guide.
Well, I went looking for the original website today. It provided a great archive of shows and reasons for their downfall. I think the last time I looked at it was well over a year ago and read a major portion of the commentary that discussed when The Andy Griffith Show jumped.

It's pretty clear TV Guide was just interested in the name. The entire archive is gone and the any comments on shows pre-dating the purchase is completely removed from the web and details shows that alway remained fresh (like WKRP or The Bob Newhart Show) is also gone. It only has some snippets of info about current shows such as Everybody Hates Chris (puberty) and Lost. Yet another website lost appeal as new management took over.
Old 02-18-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Jumptheshark.com possibly Jumps the Shark?

I just took a look and, wow, they completely killed a very cool site. I have no idea why they would spend that kind of money then just abandon the concept of the site.