Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Warning for anyone signing up for AOL Trial Membership

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months ago, I received an offer from AOL for a 90-day trial membership. Sounds harmless enough, try it for 90 days, if you don't like it, cancel and they will refund any charges. Well, it's nowhere near harmless. They make it next to impossible to cancel. I tried cancelling in less than 30 days, and they wouldn't do it even after pleading with them for close to an hour. Finally, they said they would extend my trial period free of charge. Do not agree to this if you want to cancel. I disputed all charges with my credit card company and even got an AOL rep to state that all charges would be reversed in 30 days. That part never happened and now they're sending a collection agency after me for these charges. The collection agency says that by agreeing to stay on after I initially attempted to cancel my account, I voided my 90-day trial membership. This is deceptive advertising, in my opinion, and I just want to warn any fellow DVD Talkers from this happening to them also.

For anyone living in NY, check out NY's Attorney General website to download a form to request refunds from AOL as they have been sued for this already for their hardball tactics.
Old 06-20-06, 10:52 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
This sounds exactly like what you'd frequently hear about 8 years ago.
Old 06-20-06, 11:09 AM

Wow, too bad I didn't hear about this sooner. Unbelievable, they've been doing this for 8+ years and getting away with it.
Old 06-20-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

there are only 2 ways to cancel AOL. Call them and tell them either 1) You're moving or 2)You're calling to cancel the account for someone that has died
Old 06-20-06, 11:21 AM

Yes, it would appear that way.

Unlike other companies that really want you to try their service free and let you cancel hassle-free, this is not the case with AOL, I'm afraid to say. I've recently asked friends and family, and they too experience problems cancelling.

Believe me, there is nothing 'free' about their trial membership.
Old 06-20-06, 11:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm reminded of Boiler Room suddenly when that guy tries to dump his stock and ends up getting talked into buying more shares.
Old 06-20-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Short of never using AOL, the only thing that comes to mind is you tried to cancel. If they didn't close the account that is their problem. You owe them nothing. Close your credit card and get a new one. Fuck AOL.*

I had to do something similar with MSN. You have to play hardball back. That is the only way they listen.

*should be noted this is what I would do, I have no idea of actual legal ramifications.
Old 06-20-06, 12:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Check out this MP3 of a guy trying to cancel:

http://www.duggmirror.com/technology...to_cancel_AOL/
http://insignificantthoughts.com/
Old 06-20-06, 12:24 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I read somewhere that the easy way to do it was to FAX them your cancellation notice (I'm guessing they would have to provide a FAX number for this to work). They won't have any rebuttal to a FAX and you'll have documentation you cancelled your account.
Old 06-20-06, 12:42 PM

I've never had trouble cancelling an AOL account. The number I used was (888)265-8008. I last cancelled a little over a year ago so the number may have changed.
Old 06-20-06, 03:11 PM

You're mighty lucky if you managed to cancel without any hassles. I think canceling during any trial period without any problems is next to impossible. I just don't appreciate the way they screw you by changing the conditions of the deal you signed up for. If they're offering 90 days risk-free, that's what it should be. Don't change the conditions on me in the middle of the deal without any warning whatsoever. When I first tried to cancel, and they kept trying to get me to stay on a little longer, I did not agree to convert to a regular membership and have my trial membership nullified, but that's what they do. When you do call to cancel and ask that they reverse the charges, saying you're dissatisfied with the service and would like a refund per the original agreement you signed up with, they will simply say they no longer have a record that you're within the 90 day trial period. That's bait-and-switch, and what's worse is that you don't find out about it till much later when it's too late.

For a company as big as AOL to consistently do this to people is just plain wrong. When they started sending a collection agency after me for what is supposed to be a risk-free trial, I cannot just stand by and let it happen in silence. I especially don't want others to get screwed in the same way.
Old 06-20-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
I can't find the actual file for this...I click on the link and instead of opening the MP3 it takes me to a different story
Old 06-20-06, 03:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's the MP3 (I had to hunt for it):

http://media.putfile.com/AOL-Cancellation

Apparently, this story has really taken off, and this guy is going to be on CNBC and the Today Show. AOL has apologized, and fired the rep in question.
Old 06-20-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I hate AOL commercials just a tad less than the current Mac commercials. They both play to people's ignorance.
Old 06-20-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was funny up until the rep got threatening
Old 06-20-06, 08:48 PM

Every time I cancelled they just extended it free...but you can cancel after about an 8 minute phone call if you really want to.
Old 06-20-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once forgot to cancel the AOL trial and paid using my paypal card. I had no funds but they took the funds anyway after about 7 attemps. I called them and told them I cancelled months ago. They said they had no record of it. I told them I didn't care, I know I called. I even stated I was given a confirmation number but had misplaced it. They then caved and gave me the full amount back!

Chalk one up for the little guy!
Old 06-20-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by SunMonkey
I hate AOL commercials just a tad less than the current Mac commercials. They both play to people's ignorance.
At least the apple ones are funny.
Old 06-20-06, 09:52 PM

I've never been remotely tempted to sign up for AOL - even if they offered to pay me.

Don't tell me you bought Bose speakers too...
Old 06-20-06, 10:00 PM
Registered

They will hound you till the day you die if you cancel. Best advice is to avoid signing up with them.
Old 06-20-06, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
At least the apple ones are funny.
No.... no they are not.

Wow, never signed up with AOL and never will, that is horrible.
Old 06-21-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
You're mighty lucky if you managed to cancel without any hassles. I think canceling during any trial period without any problems is next to impossible.
AOL DOS 1.0 allowed you to cancel immediately online. I miss those days.. 3 clicks and *poof*

The only other thing I suggest is getting your account terminated by violating ToS!
Old 06-21-06, 01:12 PM

Check this out AOL apparently won't take no for an answer. Even if the sub is dead
Brenda writes:

"Hi! I'm writing after hearing the phone conversation between Vincent and AOL. I was curious about this because I had a similar conversation with AOL back in February.

My mom had AOL, but on February 21st, she was killed in a car accident. On February 23rd, I called AOL to cancel her service. I wish I could have recorded the conversation for you. It was unbelievable. After explaining that my mother was killed in the accident, the rep told me that he was sorry that my mom was unhappy with the service. He then suggested lowering the number of hours per month to reduce the bill. I said "she was killed." The rep then said, "I understand what you are saying, I'm just trying to come up with a solution." He actually got snippy with me. AOL finally told me that my mom would have to call and cancel the service herself (even after I provided the coroner's ID number for the incident, etc.). I told them that if they could reach her that they should let me know how they did it. I told them that in the meanwhile, all credit cards, etc. were being canceled as a result of her death.

I had to go back to my mom's in April (I live in Ohio and she lived in CA). I checked the connection and sure enough - AOL hadn't canceled. I bet if I tried to connect again from her house it will still be connected."
Old 06-21-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
There are obviously more than two ways, I cancelled a few years back when I went from living in a Motel/Beachfront Cottage during my UC Santa Cruz days to living at my parents home...and unlike those who fall for the please do not cancel our service, we will extend your membership at no charge/you can continue with AOL with our reduced XYZ rate plan schtick, I just said NO, I do not want AOL, period. If you are polite, and just keep saying NO, many reps that you call to cancel the service get the point, sooner or later, and realize it is best to save their energy for the next customer who sounds like they will fall for the if you stay with us we will give you XYZ for continuing to do so trap.

I am starting to realize that at least when it comes to Insurance providers, you know those critters agreed to do Satan's bidding from the moment they declared themselves to be an insurance provider...the telcos/internet folk on the other hand, well...it is sad that it has taken me this long to figure out that in many ways they are more vile than the insurance critters (who are the devil you know). Try lowering your DSL rates (re-rating) with a company that advertises a new price plan that is $10-12.00 less than what you are currently paying, it takes as long, if not longer then the first time you signed up, to push that change through onto the billing department.

Regards
Christopher H

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
there are only 2 ways to cancel AOL. Call them and tell them either 1) You're moving or 2)You're calling to cancel the account for someone that has died
Old 06-21-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was talking to a friend about this who knows someone who worked at AOL, who said if you call up, say you want to cancel, they repeat it back to you and you just hang up, they're SUPPOSE (have) to cancel it. Doesn't mean they will but that's what they said..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.