Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy RewardZone program changes

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-06, 02:58 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a letter from RZ yesterday regarding some upcoming changes to the program in September. Highlights are:

1) membership becomes free
2) reward point structure changed to 1 point for $1 spent
3) $5 reward cert for every 250 points

It sucks. Cash back is effectively 2%.
Old 06-16-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you serious? Anyone know if this is widespread or regional? I'm glad my recent tv purchase should still be under the 3.33% payback. Bleh. At least it is free... Sucks that we're also losing < $1 points. I assume they're just chopping the pennies instead of rounding them? Suddenly, Office Space comes to mind...
Old 06-16-06, 03:18 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know if it's regional or not. I'm in the west coast if it matters.

Btw, the letter came with a 12% off coupon for one item in select category, (good from 6/23-7/23, I think).
Old 06-16-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Great... I wonder if this recent change was "because of customer demand" too.
Old 06-16-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
meh.

of course i'd like a bigger rebate/discount rate, but I only go to BB when I can get a low price/PM, so it really doesn't matter to me that much. I guess I could see why they're lowering it, since RZ isn't "elite" anymore..
Old 06-16-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I was a huge fan of the Reward Zone program when it first came out. As time has passed, the perks seem to be getting less and less. I'm definitely not as impressed with it as I once was.
Old 06-17-06, 04:44 AM
Banned

IMO I am 100% against paying any store to become a member of their club. Best Buy has given me free renewals each year so I can't complain. I buy sometimes at FYE and I always refuse their offer to join their club. I use to pay for other clubs in the past and I got burned when one store closed/changed. Bottom line do NOT pay stores to shop with them!
Old 06-17-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billyspunk
IMO I am 100% against paying any store to become a member of their club. Best Buy has given me free renewals each year so I can't complain. I buy sometimes at FYE and I always refuse their offer to join their club. I use to pay for other clubs in the past and I got burned when one store closed/changed. Bottom line do NOT pay stores to shop with them!
I've only paid a couple times for these kind of things. All of those times, I had found enough merchandise to effectively make the discount card "free" at the time, so it was a no-brainer.

I'll probably renew my GameStop/EB card for the 10% off all pre-owned, but probably won't do it until I actually find something to buy, so that I don't waste any of my months just having it sit around.

As for the BB card, I got it for free through some promotion, and they've been renewing it for free every year, so I can't really complain. I usually buy all my new releases at BB, doing price-matches as necessary. I get $5 RZ cards fairly often, but if they bump the threshold to $250, I won't be getting them very often at all.
Old 06-17-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, what a surprise. As I predicted, the reward zone program getting devalued again. People who paid money in hte last year for this program should be rightfully pissed.
Old 06-17-06, 09:34 PM

I just checked the reward zone website and found this as one of their announcements, so I guess it is nationwide:

"FREE AND EASY

Some exciting changes are coming for your Reward Zone® program. After September 18, 2006, it will be easier than ever to receive great rewards.

What are the changes?

New, no-fee membership. Just make one purchase per calendar year at Best Buy or BestBuy.com® to continue your membership.
A simplified point system. Get 1 point for nearly every $1 spent.
Earn 250 points and get a $5 reward certificate.

How will this affect my membership benefits?
You'll continue to enjoy the benefits you already receive, including:

Everyday member benefits like free paper every time you buy 2 ink cartridges
Exclusive members-only deals
Sweepstakes and memorabilia offers
Access to special store sales events

What does this change mean for me?
You will still accumulate points with your purchases at Best Buy and online at BestBuy.com. After September 18, 2006, you'll enjoy a no-fee membership and simplified point system.

When will these program changes take effect?
Your new Reward Zone program will be effective after September 18, 2006.

What happens to the points I accumulated before the changes go into effect?
At the time of change, all of the points in your account will be converted to the new point system - without losing any of the value of points currently in your account. The new point system gives you 1 point for nearly every $1 spent.

Eligible Purchases Points Reward Certificates
$250 250 $5
$500 500 $10
$1000 1000 $20

Do I need to do anything?
Nope. Just enjoy the rewards.

Why the change?
These changes are part of our efforts to continually evolve the program, making your participation easier and the rewards more meaningful."
Old 06-17-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Wow. $250? That blows.
Old 06-17-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
Just gives me more of a reason to increase my shopping at CC. CC has been putting some good deals up lately compared to BB.
Old 06-17-06, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So to those who just spent $10 on a new membership...they just wated there money? Id be pissed if I just bought one for $10, and then its free 2 months later. Then they change the point system to...WTF. No incentive to us?
Old 06-17-06, 11:01 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Just gives me more of a reason to increase my shopping at CC.
Yeah, because CC gives you 0% back (and won't save you any money at all over BestBuy and pricematching).

I don't really get why everyone hates the RZ program. I certainly don't like the changes (I always got it for free anyhow), but still... no other big-box electronics store has a similiar program. And with price matching, it is guaranteed you get the best (B&M) price possible at BestBuy. The 2% is a nice bonus you cannot get elsewhere, even if it used to be 3.33%...
Old 06-18-06, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't really get why everyone hates the RZ program.
Agreed, the changes suck but IMHO it's still better than shopping at CC
Old 06-18-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I got the dreaded letter in the mail yesterday
Oh well, as others have already said the 2% is still better than the 0% currently being offered by Circuit City, Target and Wal-Mart.
Old 06-18-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So to those who just spent $10 on a new membership...they just wated there money? Id be pissed if I just bought one for $10, and then its free 2 months later. Then they change the point system to...WTF. No incentive to us?
Got the same letter in the mail as everyone else, but they were nice enough to include a $10 certificate since I paid for the RZ membership when I picked up my 360 in January. Earned about $25 in RZ certs since joining since I'm happy they reimbursed me.
Old 06-18-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
Yeah, because CC gives you 0% back (and won't save you any money at all over BestBuy and pricematching).

I don't really get why everyone hates the RZ program. I certainly don't like the changes (I always got it for free anyhow), but still... no other big-box electronics store has a similiar program. And with price matching, it is guaranteed you get the best (B&M) price possible at BestBuy. The 2% is a nice bonus you cannot get elsewhere, even if it used to be 3.33%...
0% back on a DVD that is $5.00 less at CC is a better deal. I don't hate the program, but it's getting worse. It's free, OK. I'll continue giving them my card. But before, even if CC had a cheaper DVD, I would still shop BB first.
As I said, my shopping at CC will probably be increasing now.
Old 06-18-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm definitely in the 'free is better' camp, but while I still like to browse Best Buy, I don't find myself buying as much there anymore. I can usually find stuff cheaper at CC or online, and while BB may price match CC, they probably don't PM etailers; and a chance at eventually getting 2% back [since you have to spend 250 to get it] isn't worth the gas to drive to BB. Like someone else said, if I buy something there I'll flash my card [it's always been free for me too], but I won't go out of my way.
Of course, points probably expire--so if you take too long to spend 250, you'll lose whatever you've 'earned.'
Old 06-18-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
HOL UP...

CC offers 0% back?

I am THERE man!
Old 06-18-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really does suck. Granted, it's free, and better than getting nothing back. It still bites, though, that you only used to have to spend $150 to get a $5.00 Reward Zone certificate, and now, you have to spend $250 to get that same $5.00 RZ certificate. My membership has always been free, since I purchased an item that gave me a free membership, and they have renewed it for free, since then. However, it's the wording of the whole thing that gets me. They state it is even easier to get your rewards, now. I'd like to know how spending an extra $100 is easier? It might be "easier" for Best Buy, but, not for the customer.

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 06-19-06 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Kind of reminds you of the Lando/Vader scene in The Empire Strikes Back. I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

I suspect that they're trying to enforce store loyalty with as little payout as possible. They've probably run every analysis imaginable and come to the conclusion that the typical Best Buy consumer spends under $250 in the amount of time it will take him to lose his Reward Zone card. It's just a carrot on a stick.

I wonder if they won't start making most their sales for Reward Zone members only, or run special offers that pay out double or triple points for certain items.
Old 06-19-06, 10:06 AM

After years of holding out from joining RewardZone, I finally gave in and purchased a membership just a week ago. I couldn't have purchased it at a worse time if they're giving it for free come September. I guess if I plan to make any big electronics purchases, it's best to do it before the changes they plan to make. Boy, do I feel bad. Hopefully, they will mail me a $10 certificate, not that it would make me feel that much better.
Old 06-19-06, 10:27 AM

Its free people, so stop complaining. Most other retailors would make you get their credit card in order to give yoy 2% cash back. besides, all the curent members should be getting a 10 FREE Rz CErt
Old 06-19-06, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bummer...but not a big deal. Best Buy is ALWAYS as cheap as CC or even Fry's Electronics as I price match nearly every week and have made over $700 in "cash back" coupons. They will slow a bit now, but still better than none.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.