Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's so great about Goodfellas?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-14-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I struggle to see why everybody praises this film so much. It was a good film, sure, but definately not Scorsese's best effort. What exactly is it that I'm not seeing that transcends this film into "great" status? Raging Bull was much better IMO, yet people continually put Goodfellas up there with Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.
Old 06-14-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Well....you see, it's called "taste", for example - there are people out there who like Goodfellas more than the other films you mentioned.

Welcome!!!
Old 06-14-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the characters. It's the characters.
Old 06-14-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm curious to know from the OP what specifically makes it not as great as the other films you mentioned?
Old 06-14-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
I struggle to see why everybody praises this film so much. It was a good film, sure, but definately not Scorsese's best effort. What exactly is it that I'm not seeing that transcends this film into "great" status? Raging Bull was much better IMO, yet people continually put Goodfellas up there with Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.
Now go get your fucking shine box!

Old 06-14-06, 07:10 PM
En vacance

Characters indeed! It's a wild rollercoaster and widely contested with GFI as the best modern mob film (70s to present) as its focus are the 'soldiers' and not the bosses like in the majority of mob films.
Old 06-14-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I'm curious to know from the OP what specifically makes it not as great as the other films you mentioned?
I have yet to see Taxi Driver (I'm impressed by its reputation - I'm looking to pick up the DVD soon) but I felt Goodfellas was not as intense or as honest as Raging Bull. The characters in Goodfellas almost seem like caricatures in some respects, where the precedents in Raging Bull are to me more believeable. I guess I couldn't really just buy into the Henry Hill story and the resolution in the end seemed abrupt. Something about the narration just bugged me as well.

I'm curious to know, whats a "fucking shine box"?

Last edited by hardercore; 06-14-06 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have yet to see Taxi Driver (I'm impressed by its reputation - I'm looking to pick up the DVD soon) but I felt Goodfellas was not as intense or as honest as Raging Bull. The characters in Goodfellas almost seem like caricatures in some respects, where the precedents in Raging Bull are to me more believeable. I guess I couldn't really just buy into the Henry Hill story and the resolution in the end seemed abrupt. Something about the narration just bugged me as well.

I'm curious to know, whats a "fucking shine box"?
Knowing that you haven't seen Taxi Driver but are all about it's reputation makes me think that you were a bit let down by Goodfellas reputation when you saw it too. Too much hype can kill a new movie experience. Also, I wonder if the characters seem like caricatures because they have been borrowed from and spoofed over and over since the film came out. I personally prefer Goodfellas over Raging Bull; narratively, it is stronger film and the character dynamics interest me more. There are parts of Raging Bull that are just painful to watch, though probably more because his character is so completely flawed rather than the film itself.
Old 06-14-06, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I felt Goodfellas was not as intense or as honest as Raging Bull. The characters in Goodfellas almost seem like caricatures in some respects, where the precedents in Raging Bull are to me more believeable. I guess I couldn't really just buy into the Henry Hill story and the resolution in the end seemed abrupt. Something about the narration just bugged me as well.
Well, the "Henry Hill" story is a TRUE story, so I don't see why you think that Raging Bull is more "honest."
Old 06-14-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Everything.
Old 06-14-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Why don't you go fuck yourself, Tommy?"

How great was Pesci in that film?
Old 06-14-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
People's opinions may vary.. news at 11.
Old 06-14-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I guess I couldn't really just buy into the Henry Hill story and the resolution in the end seemed abrupt.
That last act is the only thing I'm not crazy about.

Spoiler:
The scene where Henry's wife picks the shipment up (On a supposed hit setup by Jimmy) just seemed unecessary and all the wonderful momentum that the movie built up in it's final act just fizzled. I would've perferred to just show Henry selling out and going into protective service after the narcs busted him

It's more abrupt, but the pacing would have been better.
Old 06-14-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ultimately comes down to taste.

Like other said, though, its about the characters. Very fleshed out characters. Fascinating subject matter (even moreso considering its based on a true story), with memorable cinematography and great music to boot.

For example, compare the camerawork of the third act to the first two. The third act, Henry is living a much more frenetic hectic lifestyle and that is similarly played out in the rough, jagged shots.
Old 06-14-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
That last act is the only thing I'm not crazy about.

Spoiler:
The scene where Henry's wife picks the shipment up (On a supposed hit setup by Jimmy) just seemed unecessary and all the wonderful momentum that the movie built up in it's final act just fizzled. I would've perferred to just show Henry selling out and going into protective service after the narcs busted him

It's more abrupt, but the pacing would have been better.
Spoiler:
Well I think it goes to show you just how dangerous a lifestyle Henry led...where your closest friend for years would kill you or your loved ones in an instant. It also lets you understand why Henry had no other choice then to go into hiding.
Old 06-14-06, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Spoiler:
Well I think it goes to show you just how dangerous a lifestyle Henry led...where your closest friend for years would kill you or your loved ones in an instant. It also lets you understand why Henry had no other choice then to go into hiding.
I was going to reply with a similar comment. I agree completely. This is one of about 10 scenes that sticks out in my mind whenever I think of Goodfellas. Very scary scene IMO.

Another scene that always sticks out that rarely gets mentioned is where Robert De Niro is watching a commercial with that guy who said his wig could survive hurricane winds, and then he jumped in the pool. So hilarious the first time I saw it. And still, it never gets old to me.

Last edited by Johnny Boy; 06-14-06 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bugg
Now go get your fucking shine box!

One of my all-time favorite films. I don't know at it is, but this is one you can put on and have playing in the background and still enjoy it.

Last edited by MartinBlank; 06-15-06 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Because the film focuses largely on the flashiness of mob life, I used to think it was somewhat shallow, if supremely entertaining. Later I have come to understand that the masterful sequence "Sunday, May 11th, 1980" makes it all come together. Without the stylistic flourishes of the first two-thirds of the film, this sequence, in which the camerawork and editing go into paranoid overdrive, wouldn't have the impact it has now. Also, without this sequence to counterpoint everything that has come before, the film would indeed be superfluous. To me, the way Scorsese subverts, in a single 10-minute sequence, the incredible high of the preceding film into a nightmarish low, makes the film such an an amazing feat of cinematic technique and a brilliant depiction of the rock'n'roll lifestyle.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 06-15-06 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-15-06, 06:00 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
i don't think it focuses on the flashiness at all. the movie didn't show strutting in fancy cars or luxurious houses. there are maybe a couple scenes that depict that and one that is scoffed by Jimmy.

i think "Goodfellas" has the same appeal as "The Sopranos" and was therefore ahead of its time. GF shows realities, characters and events based on reality. sure creative license was used by Scorcese (thus maybe the caricatures argument could be stated), but look at Sal and Pauley in TS and tell me they are not over the top.

not to mention "Goodfellas" is one hell of an entertaining film, incredibly well-made and acted great with great actors.
Old 06-15-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Goodfellas was the first big Scorsese movie I ever took the time to watch, so naturally it's the best IMO. I was let down by Raging Bull when I saw it as I found the characters really unsympathetic, especially Jake, but then again, one could make an identical argument for Goodfellas.
Old 06-15-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
Just the acting, cinematography, soundtrack, and writting. Other than that there is nothing great about Goodfellas.
Old 06-15-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most of the good things about Goodfellas have been pointed out, so I'm not going to rehash that.

However, a "shine-box" is a shoe shining kit. He was saying that as a way to put the kid in his place...like some poor street kid who shines shoes for a dime, mister.
Old 06-15-06, 08:22 AM

Simply, there would be no Sopranos without Goodfellas.

I saw it way back in 91 or 92 and it blew me away. I watch about every 2 years, and I haven't grown tired of it yet. I can't say if it's better or worse than Raging Bull, but it's just so damn entertaining! Everything aspect of it--the story, characters, technical aspects--is top-notch.
Old 06-15-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i don't think it focuses on the flashiness at all. the movie didn't show strutting in fancy cars or luxurious houses. there are maybe a couple scenes that depict that and one that is scoffed by Jimmy.
Yeah, one scene in particular was shown to be flashy on purpose. I'm talking about in the beginning when we see Henry looking through the window: it's supposed to look flashy because that is how Henry perceives it and becomes drawn to the life.
Old 06-15-06, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by talemyn
It's the characters. It's the characters.
Ha! He got that nickname because he said everything twice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.