Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I am so far behind the curve

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-13-06, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Somehow, even though it is the year 2006, I am only just now discovering the Ramones. Don't get me wrong -- I had heard them before. I mean, how can you make it to the 21st century without hearing "I Wanna Be Sedated" or "Rock and Roll High School?" And I liked what I heard. But I had never really listened to them beyond the stuff that gets radio airplay. On a whim the other week, though, I picked up the Ramones Anthology (a 2-disc set that has 50-60 of their songs), and I've been listening to it non-stop since then. They are amazing. They had a ton of depth, and I don't think I've heard one of their songs that I didn't like on at least some level.

What amazes me is that I managed to make it this far in life without ever really listening to them. I mean, I spent my high school and college years listening to pretty much every kind of rock played from the mid-60s through the early 90s. How the hell did I miss the Ramones?

Has anyone else had this experience -- discovering an artist waaaaaay after you should have discovered them?
Old 06-13-06, 11:45 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They've always seemed a little bit like AC/DC in that they made a career out of recording 10,000 songs that all sound basically the same, but I agree--it's a damn good song!
Old 06-13-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JasonF
Has anyone else had this experience -- discovering an artist waaaaaay after you should have discovered them?
It's actually been awhile before my last one, but getting into ELO last year would be my late discovery. And I actually like the more '80's stuff better than the '70's!
Old 06-13-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm 28 and I just got really into The Beatles a couple of years ago.
Old 06-13-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm 40 and just heard the Sex Pistols for the first time last month. Not bad...not a lot there, but not bad.

I was a metal guy during that era and didn't "do" punk.
Old 06-13-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I didn't get into Queensryche until about 5 years ago. A coworker knew I loved Dream Theater and thought it was odd that I had never listened to QR(other than the radio friendly tracks) so he suggested Operation: Mindcrime and the rest is history.
Old 06-13-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I got into Costello and Waits rather late but now have all of their stuff.
Old 06-13-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I didn't get into Queensryche until about 5 years ago. A coworker knew I loved Dream Theater and thought it was odd that I had never listened to QR(other than the radio friendly tracks) so he suggested Operation: Mindcrime and the rest is history.
There are millions of people who have no clue about QR. That's not any stretch at all.
Old 06-13-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=420736
Old 06-15-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been listening to lots of newer punk bands for the last 10 years or so, but in the past few months I've started digging into the classics: Black Flag, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, etc.

Also, I didn't start listening to "older" music (i.e. music that came out before 1980) until about 2 years ago. Since then, I've started listening to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck (I went through a jazz phase during this period), The Who, Bob Marley, and a ton of others.
Old 06-15-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have The Ramones on my calendar until 2011. You're way ahead of me.
Old 06-15-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I spent the better part of the the last few months re-discovering The Who. Of course, I already owned a few Who discs, and was familiar with most of their songs - but I'd never really taken the time to properly delve into their complete catalog. It was pretty enlightening.
Old 06-16-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ramones classics such as KKK took my baby away, they do have a distinct sound, but I love it all.
Old 06-16-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've spent my entire adult life being 10 - 30 years behind. Almost 100% of the "new" music I've discovered has been from decades before. Even Gary Numan, for whom I am named here, I didn't discover until almost 10 years after he was big.

But there is so much music made in the past that you can constantly be discovering old stuff. It doesn't hurt that 99.9% of modern music sucks ass.
Old 08-08-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Somehow, even though it is the year 2006, I am only just now discovering the Ramones. Don't get me wrong -- I had heard them before. I mean, how can you make it to the 21st century without hearing "I Wanna Be Sedated" or "Rock and Roll High School?" And I liked what I heard. But I had never really listened to them beyond the stuff that gets radio airplay. On a whim the other week, though, I picked up the Ramones Anthology (a 2-disc set that has 50-60 of their songs), and I've been listening to it non-stop since then. They are amazing. They had a ton of depth, and I don't think I've heard one of their songs that I didn't like on at least some level.

What amazes me is that I managed to make it this far in life without ever really listening to them. I mean, I spent my high school and college years listening to pretty much every kind of rock played from the mid-60s through the early 90s. How the hell did I miss the Ramones?

I too have been on a MAJOR Ramones kick the past couple weeks. I never really even knew who they were, yea I had heard the name, but I never really listened to them. I gotta say WOW, they are awesome. I am bummed all but one of them is dead.
Old 08-08-06, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by costanza187
I too have been on a MAJOR Ramones kick the past couple weeks. I never really even knew who they were, yea I had heard the name, but I never really listened to them. I gotta say WOW, they are awesome. I am bummed all but one of them is dead.
Depends how you count ... for my money, either Tommy and Marky both count as core Ramones or neither of them count. I tend to count neither of them (with all due respect to both of them).
Old 08-08-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I just 'discovered' the wonderful catalog of Gram Parsons, and he died in '73.

Likewise with some early stuff by Buck Owens - now that was one cool hombre. Far removed from the 'picking and grinning' Hee-Haw Owens by a mile...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 08-08-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I checked out the Ramones because I had been noticing that a lot of bands I liked had the Ramones listed as being an influence. So I figured I would go right to the source and see what it was all about.

I grabbed a copy of Ramonesmania, I figured a "greatest hits" thing would be the best way of sampling their work.

Since listening to the cd, I walk around all day with a Ramones tune in my head
Old 08-08-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Over the last two to three years, I've become a huge Zepplin fan. I've always kind of known about them, but didn't realize what a significant influence they've been to most of modern rock. A trip to Amoeba Music earlier this year was capped with my purchase of the complete studio recordings boxset. I felt like I'd discovered buried treasure.
Old 08-09-06, 09:57 PM

Well, in the spirit of what is being discussed, I just recently found out Al Green is pretty good (I was onto the Ramones at the time). But the really awesome late discovery I made about 10 years ago was pre-war blues & country.
Tim