Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Waiting to buy new releases.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 11:02 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting to buy new releases.....

I have been collecting DVD's since 1997 and I am getting to the point where I almost think its better to wait a few months more before picking up the newer titles due to all the double dipping. I was looking through my collection the other day and I have two copies each of the Alien series and 2 copies of AVP (only because I love this series so much) and saw many other movies that I had, that has since been re-released but just didn't want to spend the money on. I was so tempted to pick up Underworld:Evolution the other day then I thought no another one will come out in a few months. I am not saying wait on all new releases look how long it took for Blade Runner to be coming out soon with another edition of it, or the ones that I absolutely loved in the theatres and gotta have. I mean I look at it this way, rent them, watch them and couple months more time a new edition will come out and then pick it up. What do you guys think?
Old 06-13-06, 11:04 AM
Banned

Yep, I thought the same thing with Underworld Evolution. I double dip so many times, it is painfully obvious that there will be some kind of Underworld Evolution SE in the future, this barebones edition was ok, nothing great...
Old 06-13-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In the past 2+ years, I have definitely started to use Blockbuster Online as a means of avoiding double-dipping lately. Before that - I almost never rented from them or anyone, because I'd always just buy my DVDs.

Now, if I know a title will be re-released sometime in the future, I'll just B&Return the original disc, and then use that to keep myself busy until the better version comes along. Sin City is a perfect example of how that method worked in my favor.
Old 06-13-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 181 Posts
You definately have a point, and also factor in how some titles tend to drop to $10 pretty quickly too.
Old 06-13-06, 11:12 AM

The Underworld double dip and Fox's double dipping has been the straw that broke my back with this stuff. I no longer buy Fox DVDs on the first go around and i didnt buy Underworld Evolution because there is a 99.9% chance that there will be a better edition out later.

Other releases like Blade Runner or Superman i dont mind double dipping on really because i have got so much entertainment out of the original dvds that a new set with even more stuff is welcome. Even so for Princess Bride, where i only own the original barebones version, never bought the second dip, and will now buy the third dip because of the extra features.

But i cant stand the barebones releases with the planned special edition releases coming later - like Irobot, Man on Fire, Mr and Mrs Smith, and AVP.

I give LOTR a pass on this because at least they announce the alternate releases at the outset, much like Sin City and Hellboy, among others. Here at least i have the option of buying both or waiting for the SE, instead of having it sprung on me.
Old 06-13-06, 11:12 AM

Along with DDDs 20% off sale which usually runs twice a year. I still buy DVDs during release week if it comes with an extra limited edition disc or something like that, but I'm trying to hold off until a price drop.
Old 06-13-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to buy the new releases very often, but seeing how quickly price drops and double dips can take place I have cut back. I now only buy a new release if I ABSOLUTELY have to have it or I'll just wait until it hits $9.99.
Old 06-13-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I still have the same philosophy toward buying DVD's that I have always had.

I buy what I like to watch repeatedly. If that means an occassional double dip then so be it
Old 06-13-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am slowly learning patience as well, however when some special packaging comes with a movie i want, i usually purchase straight away.
due to the fact that slipsleeve covers are often first print only, i dont want to wait for a price drop and miss out on the slipcase!