Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Widow (1986) and Memphis Belle (1990) - anamorphic widescreen?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if BLACK WIDOW (Debra Winger) and MEMPHIS BELLE (Matthew Modine) include anamorphic widescreen?

I have found conflicting info/reviews for these 2 DVDs on the Internet, so unless someone can tell me for sure I have to assume they are non-anamorphic.

By the way, I'm sorry I had to make a separate thread for this. Is there any sort of master thread for discussions about DVDs which are unclear whether they are anamorphic?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-06, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know Memphis Bell does not. With the recent release of SE's like Tora Tora Tora and The Longets Day. It would be real nice to get one of MB also. I have Black Widow but I don't recall if it's anamorphic or not.
Old 06-11-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester
I know Memphis Bell does not. With the recent release of SE's like Tora Tora Tora and The Longets Day. It would be real nice to get one of MB also. I have Black Widow but I don't recall if it's anamorphic or not.
If you get a chance to check Black Widow's widescreen side to see if it's anamorphic in the next few days (before DDD's 20% off sale ends), please post a message here. Thanks!

Also, I appreciate the info on Memphis Belle. Since you own it, I'll believe you and skip buying it until they release an anamorphic edition. One of the reasons I was confused is this review specifically states it is anamorphic:

http://www.dvdcorner.net/html/memphisb.html

But Amazon, DVD Empire, and other sites do NOT list anamorphic, so I got suspicious. Besides, I've learned lower quality review sites (i.e. ones that barely write a few paragraphs) tend to make mistakes. I have 2 rules about buying DVDs: only buy anamorphic widescreen (unless originally filmed full screen) and don't buy DVD-5 or DVD-10 discs unless they are under $6 - which these are at DDD). I feel any company who can't bother to give a movie a higher bitrate on a DVD-9 doesn't deserve to get much money.

Last edited by Manzana; 06-11-06 at 10:50 PM.