Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix to screen movies this summer at locations where they were filmed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13208309/

Online movie rental service Netflix will screen 10 classics this August at locations made famous by the films.

"Field of Dreams" will be shown at the Dyersville, Iowa, baseball field surrounded by cornstalks. "Jaws" will be played at Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" will get a screening by the Cedar Lane Water Tower in Northbrook, Ill.

The "Netflix Rolling Roadshow" is a coast-to-coast promotional tour beginning Aug. 2 at Coney Island in New York, where the 1979 gang film "The Warriors" will be shown. Dates for the various screenings range throughout the month.

Other stops include Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining" at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colo., and the classic Western "The Searchers" at Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley, Utah.

Director Kevin Smith and cast members are expected to be on hand for a screening of "Clerks" at the Quick Stop in Leonardo, N.J. Other screenings will include activities related to the films, like raft-floating in the ocean during "Jaws."

Also to be screened on location is the Coen brothers' "Raising Arizona" at the Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, Ariz., "The Poseidon Adventure" on the H.M.S. Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif., and Clint Eastwood's "Escape From Alcatraz" on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds prety sweet. I would love to see Jaws on the floating rafts.
Old 06-09-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love to go to some of these.

If I could choose:

1: Escape From Alcatraz
2: Field of Dreams
3: Jaws
4: Clerks

The rest I could do without. I could probably swing Jaws and Clerks but the rest would be too far. However Field of Dreams would be wild!
Old 06-09-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd love to see Field of Dreams.
Old 06-09-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Kubrick's The Shining wasn't filmed in Estes Park, Colorado. Stephen King was inspired to write the novel there and the mini series was filmed there but not Kubrick's film.
Old 06-09-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Kubrick's The Shining wasn't filmed in Estes Park, Colorado. Stephen King was inspired to write the novel there and the mini series was filmed there but not Kubrick's film.
I thought that too. It was filmed at a ski lodge here in Oregon.
Old 06-09-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I dunno.. I'd rather see The Rock on Alcatraz.

Other's I'd see..

JAWS - No brainer.
Field of Dreams - No brainer.
Rudy - Notre Dame.

Last edited by devilshalo; 06-09-06 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd prefer to see A New Hope on Tattooine but I don't think that's happening.
Old 06-09-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Hmm, not on DVD but I could screen my laserdisc at the location where the 1979 classic "Gas Pump Girls" was filmed in Sacramento!
Old 06-09-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
What, no Attack of the Killer Tomatoes here in San Diego?!?!
Old 06-09-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking forward to Raising Arizona.
Old 06-10-06, 09:00 AM

Hello, Alamo Drafthouse. Thanks for the idea. Love, Netflix.

OK Harry, All the details are laid out, the trucks are packed, and in 6 weeks, the rolling roadshow will hit the road for our first US Tour. In the past, we have screened JAWS on the water, GOONIES at the bottom of a cave, EARTHQUAKE on the Balcones Fault, FRIDAY THE 13TH at a summer camp, and SHOCK CORRIDOR at an insane asylum. Now in 2005, we are setting out on a 6000 mile, 21 day journey across the west for a series of film screenings that will take the movie-going experience to a whole new level. We will be screening 11 famous films in their original shooting locations, chosen specifically to intensify the viewing experience.

Friday, August 19
Last Picture Show
Archer City, TX

The rolling roadshow kicks off the tour at Larry McMurtry's home town, Archer City, Texas, which not only served as the shooting location for the film but is also the inspiration for story itself. Schedule permitting, Author Larry McMurtry will be live in person.

Sunday, August 21
It Came From Outer Space 3D
Roswell, NM

The 1947 Roswell alien crash landing defines modern UFOlogy. IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE is considered the best of the Roswell alien exploitation films and was the first to use a desert setting based on the terrain of New Mexico. Free 3-D glasses included with ticket

Tuesday, August 23
Once Upon a Time in the West
Monument Valley, AZ

Sergio Leone spent the better part of his career making Italian westerns that appeared to be set in the American southwest. Paramount eventually brought Leone to the real Southwest to film this masterpiece.

Wednesday, August 24
Planet of the Apes
Lake Powell, AZ

When Charlton Heston crash lands at the beginning of PLANET OF THE APES, it isn't an alien planet as it first appears, it's the good ol' USA; Lake Powell, Arizona to be specific.

Saturday, August 27
Repo Man Road Rally
Los Angeles, CA

Set in the seedy underbelly of the 80's punk rock scene, REPO MAN was a major influence on nearly every modern indie director. For our screening, attendees will first scour the city in our road rally event looking for the movie's cornerstone prop: a '64 Malibu. The winner drives it home! Dick Rude, Sy Richardson, Tracey Walter and other members of the cast and crew will conduct a Q&A following the screening.

Sunday, August 28
North By Northwest
Bakersfield, CA

When Cary Grant is running from the biplane in NORTH BY NORTHWEST, he's running through the fields of Bakersfield. Attendees will feel a bit of tension too, for at the Rolling Roadshow screening we'll have live cropduster flybys!

Tuesday, August 30
Bullitt Road Rally
San Francisco, CA

Steve McQueen tears up the streets of San Francisco as Lt. Frank Bullitt in this seminal car chase classic. 36 years later, it's the audience's turn to investigate the city, solving clues in our BULLITT Road Rally. Their mission: to find the secret screening location.

Thursday, September 1
The Goonies
Astoria, Or

Richard Donner's 1985 cult classic, THE GOONIES, has become a staple of modern-day repertory cinemas. The sleepy seaside town of Astoria will not be quiet this night, 20 years later, when THE GOONIES return! Cast members will be live in person following the screening.

Saturday, September 3
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Devil's Tower, WY

It's a 19 hour drive from screening #9, but CLOSE ENCOUNTERS at Devil's Tower is the one that is making us giddy. Look for real aliens, men in foil suits and a mashed potato sculpture contest before the film!

#11: Monday, September 5
Cat Ballou
Buckskin Joe's, CO

Over 25 films have been shot at Buckskin Joe's Western Town near Cañon City, Colorado. By day, tour the neighboring Canyons and the authentic old west scenery, and when the sun sets, we'll have a cowboy cookout and enjoy the hijinks of CAT BALLOU.

#12: Wednesday, September 7
Hud
Claude, TX

We bookend this series with another classic Larry McMurtry Texas tale, starring Paul Newman at his sizzling best as anti-hero Hud Bannon. Visit the Gem Theater and museum prior to the onscreen entertainment. Schedule permitting, author Larry McMurtry will conduct a Q&A following the film.
Old 06-11-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
The Goonies one would be sweet.

Depending on when it is, I may check out The Shining, as it's one of my favorite movies. Of course, the other two posters are correct about it not getting filmed in Estes Park.
Old 06-11-06, 02:32 AM

Just for the record:

All of the interiors in Kubrick's The Shining were shot on a soundstage in England.

All other locations--for the exterior shots at the beginning of the movie--are as follows:

Opening approach: Glacier National Park, Montana
Hotel exteriors: Timberline Lodge, Mount Hood, Oregon

Estes Park, Colorado--the allegedly haunted Stanley Hotel in particular, King's inspiration for the Overlook--can only claim Mick Garris' miniseries of The Shining as a location shoot.

Regardless, if this screening is happening on a weekend in August or before, I am SO there. Anyone have the date of this screening handy?
Old 06-12-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeP
Regardless, if this screening is happening on a weekend in August or before, I am SO there. Anyone have the date of this screening handy?
Wednesday, August 16th. I couldn't find a time, though.
Old 06-12-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
where's the Titanic screening?
Old 06-12-06, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It's gonna be an embarassed Netflix employee who figures this one out.

-ringding-
Old 06-12-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
To add insult to injury, I hear they'll be screening Episode I there.
Old 06-12-06, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I wanted to see Dune on Arrakis, but Geidi Prime has a kick ass sound system.
Old 08-02-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Now I'd really want to go to the Field of Dreams screening.

Costner to return to Field of Dreams

DES MOINES, Iowa - Kevin Costner has been pretty much a ghost in Dyersville since starring in "Field of Dreams" in 1989.

He hasn't returned to the eastern Iowa town since its famous cornstalks resurrected Shoeless Joe Jackson and other long-dead ballplayers on the big screen 17 years ago.

But now comes word that Costner will return.

The star will appear Aug. 11 at the baseball field in Dyersville as part of a "Rolling Roadshow" tour, in which 10 classic movies are being shown at the sites of their filming.

Netflix, an online movie rental service that organized the tour, confirmed this week that Costner will make an appearance before the movie is shown on a 30-foot inflatable screen in the outfield.

Costner will play a free concert with his unnamed rock band, followed by the movie.

"We're real excited about it," said Keith Rahe, manager of Left & Center Field of Dreams, a tourist attraction at the site of the movie's ball field. "This is going to be a nice setup."

"Field of Dreams" was an Academy Award nominee and featured one of the most famous movie lines ever: "If you build it, they will come."

"Returning to the 'Field of Dreams' location to play a concert ... has special meaning for me," Costner said in a news release. "The movie was significant in my career, and the band is an important part of my future."
Old 08-02-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Hello, Alamo Drafthouse. Thanks for the idea. Love, Netflix.
Scroll to the bottom.
Netflix has teamed up with Austin's Alamo Drafthouse to produce the Rolling Roadshow. Named by Entertainment Weekly as the nation's number one movie theater in 2005, the Alamo specializes in unique movie watching experiences.