Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 5 Shows You're Watching and Why (In Production during 2005-2006 season)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-07-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

I was just reading through some of the BSG thread that is going on and started to wonder what somebody's top shows were. Then I noticed it was being brought up by a lot of people. Figure it merits it's own thread.

So, with that in mind, please list your top 5 shows that are on during the 2005-2006 season, and most importantly why you think they are top 5 material.

For example, in the BSG thread I saw a lot of people list Deadwood, which is interesting to me because I have walked by the TV when my roommate was watching and though, "That writting is whorrible and the interactions seem completely unrealistic." Would be very interested to hear why people think this is so good.
Old 06-07-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
In no particular order:

Rescue Me
Boston Legal
Sopranos
The Shield
My Name is Earl

I'd like to say Deadwood, but I need to see how S3 starts. I'll put it this way about Deadwood - I detest westerns but Deadwood is so entertaining.

edit: shit, I have to make it a top-6 and add PTI.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-07-06 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate SG-1
The 4400
Law and Order: SVU
The Office
Hell's Kitchen

In all fairness, those are probably the only shows from this season I've watched.
Old 06-07-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever since Buffy and then Angel went of the air I virtually stopped watching live TV, other than cable news and random flipping around. I didn't have a single show (besides NFL) that I regularly watched. That changed a little bit this season.

Prison Break
I don't know why I started watching this, I caught the second episode and got hooked. It's a nice brain dead action show.

Veronica Mars
Watched Season One on DVD and started catching the show live part way into Season Two.

Doctor Who
I'm a fan of the old show from watching it on PBS so when I heard they were starting production back up I had to check it out.

My Name is Earl
I watched the first episode because I'm a fan of Jason Lee and I really liked it. A funny show with an uplifting premise makes it good tv.

The 4400
I actually haven't watched this live yet. It's another show that I got into from watching on DVD, but now I plan on catching the next season as it airs.
Old 06-07-06, 05:18 PM

24 - most exciting, intense show on TV. love it. my favorite tv show ever. always keeps me on the edge of my seat.
the shield - awesome show
scrubs - funniest show on tv
veronica mars - just started watching season 1 the last 2 days, watched 16 episodes already. love the show, definately one of my favorites now.
everwood - series finale was this monday... this show is probably one of the best written shows on tv. sucks that it's gone now
Old 06-07-06, 05:29 PM

Battlestar Galactica - Great plot, writing, acting and interesting take on important issues
Lost -While some episodes were off this season, I thoroughly enjoyed the season as a whole.
The Office - An extremely funny show with small moments of romantic drama. The last episode of the season was one of the best season finales I've ever seen.
Rescue Me - Extremely funny but also extremely dramatic.
Veronica Mars - Great mystery show with awesome dialogue. Also, Kristen Bell is amazing.
Old 06-07-06, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Veronica Mars - Great season long mysteries, witty dialogue (best dialogue & cast of any still on the air TV series as far as I'm concerned), a great cast of characters and of course, Kristen Bell. The best dialogue and characters since Buffy & Angel.

24 -A very addicting & fast paced thriller with a very cool lead character.

Lost - I have only seen the first 3 episodes on season 2, but I'm really looking forward to continuing asap. Lost has a great cast of characters & great mysteries (although they aren't all answered like Veronica Mars, but so far it's compelling).

Alias - Great character, fun spy action & Jennifer Garner.

My Name Is Earl - Very funny & unique series. 'Nuff said.

RUNNERS UP:

Family Guy - Still provides some great laughs.

Supernatural - Cool X-Filesesque monster of the week series (I'm hoping they can have a more extending story arc next season though). Definitely the scariest series on tv.

Other series that I watch: Smallville (it's flawed, but entertaining), American Dad (it's gotten quite a bit better), The Simpsons (I still catch this one occassionally) & South Park (I'm currently going through all of the earlier seasons as well as watching the newer ones). That's pretty much all I currently watch on TV.

I did start on Battlestar Galactica not long ago. I've finished the mini series and up to episode four. The mini series and first 3 episodes were decent, but it didn't hook me like some of my other favorite series. Episode four almost did, but I still don't yet find myself "needing" to devour episode after episode. Maybe that happens a little later or I'm just not much of a space sci-fi fan (aside from Firefly). I shall soon find out though.

Last edited by Slayer2005; 06-07-06 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 06:15 PM

1. Lost- The show is quite good because it's pretty much a show ahead of it's time. The show has brilliantly written plots and character developments. The show, much like Twin Peaks was, is all about adventures and solving mysteries. Alot of shows followed it such as 4400, Threshold, Invasion, and Surface. They're also making Heroes, Six Degrees, and the Nine which will be pretty much similar to Lost. The show did however followed after Carnivale another favorite of mine, but the thing about Carnivale is that it didn't get to finish their show as it had alot of questions unanswered. HBO really pissed me off when they canceled the show. Anyways, Lost is like Twin Peaks was back then, pretty much ahead of it's time during their era as they made the show quite suspenseful with it's mysterious plots.

2. 24- There's a feel of thrills and suspense in every second and you really don't know what to expect especially with alot of peopel dying.

3. Grey's Anatomy/Alias- While some people say Grey's Anatomy is overrated, I don't. I like Grey's Anatomy because like 24, you really don't know what to expect with people either dying or making it through. There's also drama involve. For Alias, like 24, there's alot of action involve. There's also alot of twist and turns throughout the show.

4. Prison Break- It's a cool show involving Micheal Scofield trying to break his brother out of prison. It's packed with unexpected twists and turns. In Fox River, you really never know what's going to happen next rather the cellmates are going to get caught by the guards or not and stuff like that.

5. The 4400- Read Lost except that Lost does it better IMO.

Honorable Mentions:

Shield, Rescue Me, Scrubs, The Unit, My Name is Earl
Old 06-07-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My list is somewhat limited because I don't have cable, but here goes:

Battlestar Galactica - The miniseries and and first episode hooked me like it was crack. This is a fun, fun show with a lot of great characters. (Thanks, Netflix!)

The Office - The funniest show on tv, and a remake worthy of the original. It manages to feel both real and over the top at the same time, and the depth of the supporting cast is amazing! I can't wait for the web episodes.

Veronica Mars - The second season didn't live up to the first, but its style still feels fresh and original to me, and it's still a good time. I agree with Slayer2005 about the dialogue - it's quite witty.

Without a Trace - I'm not a fan of any of the CSI's or L&O's, so I was surprised by how much I like this show. It tends to have a good balance of drama with just enough about the characters lives to make them interesting without being a soap. The focus is squarely on the cases, and you can't always tell how things will turn out, which keeps it interesting. I can't say it's a great show, but it is an awfully good one.

24 - It's become a parody of itself but it's as much fun as ever. Just don't try to take it seriously. It's brain off, ridiculous, popcorn tv.

I also enjoyed Big Love (which I managed to see somehow), and my guilty pleasure, The Amazing Race. And I'm looking forward to Nip/Tuck later this summer (I think). Oh, and I'm starting the Wire soon (via Netflix), largely because I keep hearing such great things about it on this board.

Last edited by kitkat; 06-07-06 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Six Feet Under

Was in the 2005-2006 season even though it aired a year ago (6/6/05 to be exact), so I count it. It was the final season. I wanted to see the wrap up of these characters (my second "family"). And wow! Did it wrap up. I love this show and will cherish it on DVD.

2. The Office

Just too damn funny to miss.

3. Rescue Me

I love a cliffhanger - I had to catch season 3. Truly dramatic, yet oh so funny show.

4. 24

I cannot turn away during this show. Too engrossing.

5. Lost

Even though I didn't like season 2 as much as season 1, like 24, you are engrossed. Such a mystery (even though I have been let down by the show a few times this past season).
Old 06-07-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
1. 24
2. Lost
3. the Office
4. My Name is Earl
5. Arrested Development
Old 06-07-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
CSI
Sopranos
Big Love
The Amazing Race/Survivor/American Idol
Old 06-07-06, 11:24 PM

Big Love
House
Criminal Minds
Cold Case
Sopranos
Old 06-07-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Shield
House
Veronica Mars
Lost
Old 06-08-06, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In no real particular order:

Rescue Me
The Shield
The Wire
The Office
Arrested Development

Battlestar Galactica, Boston Legal and Veronica Mars for honorable mentions.
Old 06-08-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No order:

-Sopranos: really just finishing this one out now
-Veronica Mars: My favorite show on television
-The Ultimate Fighter: Just like the fighting and maybe seeing some up and coming UFC stars
-Entourage: Flat out best comedy on TV imo
-Big Love: Love the interaction between the sister wives, not into the whole Bill vs. Roman thing.
-Alias: Just had to add this one as it will always be an all time fav of mine, no matter how much it dipped the past few years.

I also have recently been dvr'ing reruns of ER. Its been a while since I was a regular viewer of this show (last episode was when Dr. Green left) but I have found this show is still pretty entertaining. Also love the reruns of Law and Order & SVU.
Old 06-08-06, 09:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Office - Funniest show on tv. Best comedy ensemble cast as well. Plus it offers hints of drama without deflating the comedy.

Lost - Most diversely interesting cast of characters on tv. Offers mystery, drama, action, comedy, romance, and suspense on one show.

24 - Fast paced and exciting. Jack Bauer is the man. Even when it's bad it's still entertaining, just for different reasons.

House - The premise is formulaic at times, but the character interactions make every episode seem fresh. And unlike CSI, the character moments don't feel like diversions... they really flesh out the show as a whole.

I couldn't think of a solid 5th. Not that I don't watch enough shows, but because everything else was at least a tier down from the others for me this season.
Old 06-08-06, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Battlestar Galactica: Probably the best science fiction show on the air, and one of the best dramas.

2) The Office: Simply the best and most effective sitcom currently on the air. It's managed to create its own identity without constantly being compared to the original. Also, probably the best sitcom ensemble currently around.

3) Veronica Mars: I came late to this show, but it quickly drew me in. Great writing and characters combined with compelling mysteries.

4) The Colbert Report: If not better than The Daily Show, it's getting very close.

5) Doctor Who: A fun show that can run the gamet from horror to comedy. Great example of how to resurrect a canceled show.

Unfortunately, there isn't currently on the air a show I love. No BtVS, Angel, or Babylon 5. I'm waiting. With BSG's amazing season finale, it may get there, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-08-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
House- Like the different cases that come in each week, also love the banter between house and everyone else. The three under-doctors really balance each other well.

Lost- Polar Bears and Kate. What else could you ask for? Looks like they are changing the schedule around next year..

24- There's not enough time!!! Damnit!! Jack Bauer kicks ass then takes names..

Desparate Housewives- Prime Time soap opera, lots of storylines and interesting characters.

The OC- girls are cute, like the intrigue, not really sure why else I watch it.
Old 06-19-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Battlestar Galactica: I love this show. Solid production, writing, acting. Plus it's serious sci-fi on TV...what more needs to be said.

The Daily Show: Thank God for John Stewart...the man who says everything I think but in wittier ways than I could ever hope to manage. He's the right guy at the right time.

Lost: This show is so dumb...but I'm hooked. What can I say?

Smallville: Another dumb show with approximately three good eps per season. Hey, it's Superman.

Nothing else...
Old 06-19-06, 10:26 PM

Deadwood is at the top. I love it for the dialogue, acting, plotting and storyline. I find it hilarious and damn serious at the same time and that is entertaining to me. It's fascinating.

The Shield is like an addictive roller-coaster ride. My gut is tight every episode wondering just what is going to happen next. Great writing, great acting.

Ghost Whisperer. Okay. so I like escapist stuff like this. Smarmy at times, but what the hey...I gotta have a feelgood show and I like the sublte creeps I get, especially when a ghost kisses or touches someone. It never fails to give me goosebumps when the live people react. My whole family watches this.

Cold Case. Touching; good stuff. But I don't get to watch it very much. I let the kids have the TV before the more adult fare comes on HBO when it is over.

Rome Beautiful to watch, great acting. Good storylines, like Carnivale, which I sorely miss.

The Sopranos and Law and Order: SUV are the other shows I regularly try to watch. I like My Name Is Earl, but I always miss it.
Old 06-20-06, 11:53 AM
Suspended

24 - Best Show on TV
Lost - 2nd best show
Smallville - I have a weak spot for this show.
House - House makes the show funny
Veronica Mars - Most underrated show on TV.
Old 06-20-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This thread makes me sad. When forced to come up with a list, I find there are really only two great shows still on the air: The Shield and The Wire. After that, the best I can really say about anything is that it's "really good" or "above average". If I had to go with three more, I guess I'd say Deadwood, Entourage, and The Sopranos, but I feel self-conscious about taking 4 of 5 from HBO. This is certainly a rough time for television. It was getting bad before we lost Six Feet Under, Arrested Development, and Everwood, but now ...

PTI and The Colbert Report are must-see-TV for me, but I'm not sure they really count here.

das
Old 06-20-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
24 - Best show on TV
Lost - Most interesting/intriguing show in TV
My Name Is Earl - Funniest show on TV
SVU - Best cop show on TV
TAR - Best reality show on TV