Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The "Rescue Me" Appreciation Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 02:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 942 Likes on 789 Posts
The "Rescue Me" Appreciation Thread.

"Rescue Me" is the finest show on television right now! It is smartly crafted, witty and incredibly well written. No show has me go through the gambit of emotions week end and week out. No show has thrilled me this much in years.

Denis Leary's Tommy Gavin is the best written character in a serio-comedic drama in sometime. He is the best tortured anti-hero hero ever. He makes me laugh, cry, and cheer. He actually makes me cheer for him despite the many, many flaws he has as a character. He is so finely crafted and makes him infintely watchable. I don't think Denis is playing too much of a stretch as I am almost sure that he is in many ways Tommy and that is what makes him so rich and so great in this role. Sometimes you know a role an actor/actress was meant to play and Tommy is his. No other character he has or will play will ever compare.

And nothing else compares to this ensemble as well. Each character is perfect and the actors in the roles are perfect. They each have personality and a new layer you discover each week. Perfect casting.

I just want to show my overall appreciation and love that this show is on the air and hoping that it is for many years to come.
Old 06-07-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
On a related topic, anyone who loves Rescue Me and is not aware of Leary's previous series, The Job, should do themself a favor and check it out. Half-hour comedy series from the same creative team as Rescue Me (Leary and Peter Tolan), and even features a couple of Rescue Me actors (Uncle Teddy for one).

It is a great edgy comedy series, which of course is why it didn't survive on the major networks.
Old 06-07-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
On a related topic, anyone who loves Rescue Me and is not aware of Leary's previous series, The Job, should do themself a favor and check it out. Half-hour comedy series from the same creative team as Rescue Me (Leary and Peter Tolan), and even features a couple of Rescue Me actors (Uncle Teddy for one).

It is a great edgy comedy series, which of course is why it didn't survive on the major networks.
I was wondering if I should pick it up, it always caught my eye because of the same team of writers. Looks like its my next purchase.

And on a Rescue Me note, I 110% agree. Amazing show. I think the DVDtalk review of season 2 puts it well...

"Gavin is not at all a typical television hero. Capable of both heartbreaking insight and unthinkable cruelty, Gavin is a walking time-bomb, visibly coming apart at the seams throughout the show. But what makes Gavin special is his tremendous sense of magnetism. Leary calls on every ounce of his formidable comic talents to turn his complex character into one of television's richest portraits. Gavin's emotions twist and turn in the wind when the rest of the world leaves him hanging, but Leary doesn't go for easy sympathy. Gavin's tremendous self-loathing is clear on his face, but so is his monumental ego."
Old 06-07-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
I cant say enough about this show. It's just about as perfect as it gets for me. Dont know if I've ever watched a show/movie that can be fall on the floor funny one minute and then have you sucking back tears the next.

Something is seriously wrong if Dennis Leary doesnt get a emmy for his performance. The scene last season where he has Sheila's girlfriend hit him and then breaks down was just heart breaking. The whole episode you could just feel the emotion of his son's death build and build until it exploded, just a amazing piece of acting.

The rest of the cast is superb, and the writing is the bread and butter.

Love it, Love it, Love it.
Old 06-07-06, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
"Gavin is not at all a typical television hero. Capable of both heartbreaking insight and unthinkable cruelty, Gavin is a walking time-bomb, visibly coming apart at the seams throughout the show. But what makes Gavin special is his tremendous sense of magnetism. Leary calls on every ounce of his formidable comic talents to turn his complex character into one of television's richest portraits. Gavin's emotions twist and turn in the wind when the rest of the world leaves him hanging, but Leary doesn't go for easy sympathy. Gavin's tremendous self-loathing is clear on his face, but so is his monumental ego."
that is an amazing quote and perfectly emulates this incredible show. after just finishing ep2 of S3 i am just totally wowed it is hard to put into words!
Old 06-07-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
This season just reconfirms that this is my favorite f/x series and probably #2 or #3 behind the Wire and Deadwood.
Old 06-07-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
"Rescue Me" is the finest show on television right now!
Here we go again...
Old 06-07-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
BTW, I absolutely adore Rescue Me, and am genuinely stunned by Leary's acting - the boy's got more chops than I ever imagined.

But the show does have some things that annoy me... this excerpt from dvdVerdict perfectly sums up the only thing that may be wrong with it:

Despite being a well-written, witty, and gripping show, the writing has a transparency to its plot points that borders on the inanely predictable. These deux ex machina plot points are foolishly obvious to even the most casual of observer. With the exception of Tommy (because who the hell understands that guy?), the motivations of the characters and plot directions are surprisingly transparent and the show often bends the rules of realism and common sense in order to create the most painfully awkward and fitting punishments that would make Dante proud.

Examples of the above:
Spoiler:
When we find out that Jerry has a problem accepting his gay son, of course his gay son has a big gay party at his house. When Franco finds himself falling for Laura and feels ready to commit for the first time in his life, of course Laura finds out about Franco's promiscuous side activities at that exact moment. When Tommy gets into an altercation with a parking authority officer, there are no surprises in a few episodes when they same officer gets his car towed because, hey, that's how things work around here. When Tommy finds out he has a half-brother who is a priest, of course he turns out to be the bad, molesting kind of priest. Is there any other kind? Just as Tommy gets things with his wife sorted out and everything starts to go well…well, you don't even want to know what happens to him.

I like the show, I really do, but I grow weary of shows that are unnecessarily cruel to their characters out of some perverse sense of boredom. The show cares more about karmic justice than it does about realism and it absolutely revels in punishing its characters for every minor infraction. This style of writing works spectacularly when everything clicks, but stumbles into repetition and predictability more often than not.
Old 06-07-06, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have to say is that Tommy Gavin is one the coolest television character ever.
Old 06-07-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Better Anti-Hero, Tommy Gavin or Vic Mackey?

D
Old 06-07-06, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
Better Anti-Hero, Tommy Gavin or Vic Mackey?

D
i love "The Shield" too, but Tommy grips me more than Vic ever did. He runs the gambit of emotion and is a fuller character when Vic only has one.
Old 06-07-06, 09:56 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Just a heads-up for those doing this. I bought The Job after season 1 of Rescue Me hoping it'd be more of the same. The Job had its moments, but was not nearly as strong as Rescue Me. Perhaps due to the limitations of network television...not sure?

Anyway, Rescue Me has arguably been my favorite drama since midway through its second season. I enjoyed the first season, but the second season was a true tour-de-force and the third season is off to a great start.
Old 06-07-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Let me clarify-the Job is quite different from Rescue Me, but I think you can see the similarities in the comedy side. I enjoyed it very much.
Old 06-08-06, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me clarify-the Job is quite different from Rescue Me, but I think you can see the similarities in the comedy side. I enjoyed it very much.
I picked up The Job due to Rescue Me being one of my current favorite shows. I liked it for what it was, but it's not in the same league.
Old 06-08-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
I picked up The Job due to Rescue Me being one of my current favorite shows. I liked it for what it was, but it's not in the same league.

Yeah, but
Spoiler:
The massage episode alone makes this series worth picking up
Old 06-08-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
BTW, I absolutely adore Rescue Me, and am genuinely stunned by Leary's acting - the boy's got more chops than I ever imagined.

But the show does have some things that annoy me... this excerpt from dvdVerdict perfectly sums up the only thing that may be wrong with it:

Despite being a well-written, witty, and gripping show, the writing has a transparency to its plot points that borders on the inanely predictable. These deux ex machina plot points are foolishly obvious to even the most casual of observer. With the exception of Tommy (because who the hell understands that guy?), the motivations of the characters and plot directions are surprisingly transparent and the show often bends the rules of realism and common sense in order to create the most painfully awkward and fitting punishments that would make Dante proud.

Examples of the above:
Spoiler:
When we find out that Jerry has a problem accepting his gay son, of course his gay son has a big gay party at his house. When Franco finds himself falling for Laura and feels ready to commit for the first time in his life, of course Laura finds out about Franco's promiscuous side activities at that exact moment. When Tommy gets into an altercation with a parking authority officer, there are no surprises in a few episodes when they same officer gets his car towed because, hey, that's how things work around here. When Tommy finds out he has a half-brother who is a priest, of course he turns out to be the bad, molesting kind of priest. Is there any other kind? Just as Tommy gets things with his wife sorted out and everything starts to go well…well, you don't even want to know what happens to him.

I like the show, I really do, but I grow weary of shows that are unnecessarily cruel to their characters out of some perverse sense of boredom. The show cares more about karmic justice than it does about realism and it absolutely revels in punishing its characters for every minor infraction. This style of writing works spectacularly when everything clicks, but stumbles into repetition and predictability more often than not.

I don't disagree with this assessment, and I also think the show's characters are sometimes TOO extreme (especially Tommy's ex, and most of the women characters for that matter), but the dialogue is so well written and acting so strong that I'm able to overlook these flaws.
Old 06-08-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this a show that ought to be picked up from the beginning? I don't want to jump into the middle of something and be lost.
Old 06-08-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been a Leary fan for a long time (as an actor), and I LOVED "The Job". As much as I was upset at its cancellation, "Rescue Me" has certainly been something good to come from it.

MEJ, like most shows, it would be a richer experience if you could see the show from the beginning, especially since S1 and 2 are already out on DVD. There's a lot of backstory to the characters that you should see, though there's still a lot to enjoy if you just jump in.
Old 06-08-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Best show on TV, ever. Just my opinion, but no show has gotten me more hooked and more wishing it was Tuesday.

One huge flaw is its only 13 episodes.
Old 09-16-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
Re: The "Rescue Me" Appreciation Thread.

Originally Posted by slop101

Examples of the above:
Spoiler:

I started Rescue Me a few weeks ago on Netflix.
I'm three into season three.

First two season are terrific but the spoiler section above is what really bugs je about then first two seasons.
Not only that but everything that happens is to the extreme.
Someone gets Alzheimer's and then tries to kill themselves. Someone learns he has a child with a drug addict and the addict dies of an overdose. Too over the top.

As I said I'm three I to three and these have been great episodes.
The drama is chilling and the humor is spot on.
Leery is amazing, has he won an Emmy for this show?

Something that seems to pop into my mind is that this show is
Spoiler:
A dream or takes place during the moment of death of one of the characters. In the first two seasons I think Tommy should have died three times at least and I think it was the end of season one when Tommy fell in a building and was covered with burning, building parts. He then wakes up in the
Same position in an apartment. Has me scratching my head. Probably too obvious so highly ulikely.

Anyway season three is great so far looking forward to the rest.

Also sorry to bump a five year topic but I didn't see another one to, bump.
Old 09-16-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

Have fun going through the rest of the show's run, you've already seen it at its best. There's some shitty episodes and recycled plot lines that you'll get tired of from here on out.
Old 09-17-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

I forgot to mention one other thing that leads me to my previous deduction, He sees dead people.