Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Comic Standing - 06/06/06 - 5 of 10 finalists are chosen

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Last Comic Standing - 06/06/06 - 5 of 10 finalists are chosen

Twenty comics performed, with 5 chosen to be finalists. Each got 3 minutes, but less than half of that was shown. Celebrity judges were Garry Marshall, Kathy Griffin, and Tim Meadows.

Vargas Mason
Kira Soltanovich
Theo Von
Jackie Kashian
Chris Porter - Skinny guy with buggy eyes, he made it to top 10.
Roz - She made it. She had some good jokes about prostitutes updating their resumes, but it probably would've been funnier if she didn't screech every fucking word of it.
David Huntsberger
Saleem
Doug Mellard
Josh Blue - Gee, the producers weren't pushing for this guy too much, were they? His jokes are okay, but he's only going through because he has CP.
Matt Fulchiron
Josh Wolf
Nikki Graser - 21 year old hottie. She did a joke about date rape, and they showed a couple of women in the audience look at each other like WTF?
Chip Chinery
April Macie - She made it.
John Rey
Wild Willy Parsons
Tig Notaro
Medi Rosenfeld
Joey Gay - He made it.

I tell ya, if the other 5 in the house are like these 5, I'm skipping the rest of the season.
Old 06-06-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I kind of liked Chip Chinery. I could have done without Roz.
Old 06-07-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to hang out at Wild Willy's house back in the day. Good to see him getting some exposure.
Old 06-07-06, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
April Macie and Joey Gay sucked arse...F'in show is lookin to create drama in the house hold rather than having the funniest people in the mix. April Macie had long silence after her routine about not fitting in her pants. The next five will make or break the show for me. Didn't they learn their lesson when Drew Carey and some other celebrity Judge bashed them for not taken the funniest comics a few years ago.
Old 06-07-06, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

god these people are terrible?!?!?!? Thank god for Josh Blue. I mean Joey Gay is a freaking Gilbert Gottfried wannabe, April Macie only made it cause Kathy Griffin is looking into a freaking mirror with her. And how the hell did they think that Anthony Clark get this gig? He is such an idiot. So help me god if he use's the term "yuks" once I'm done.
Old 06-07-06, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Actually, there will be 12 finalists not 10. They are going to add an additional 2 comics to the house probably because there is so much "talent" to choose from.

April Macie and Joey Gay had no business being chosen other than for the dynamic that they bring to the house, cuz neither one is a funny comic. Roz is okay and has paid her dues, so I guess I'm okay with dat. Chris Porter and Josh Blue, I have no problem with.

Kira Soltanovich I wouldn't have minded. She's amusing on Girls Behaving Badly and she did the voice for the free photo booth on Leno.
Old 06-07-06, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I only watched for a few minutes and in that time I saw April Macie's set - awful, truly awful. I think she got her awful veneers at the same as the annoying fuck from Brooklyn.

I did't see Roz last night, but she got a "meh" from me during the premiere.

I'm fine w/ Porter and Blue making it though.
Old 06-07-06, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Josh Blue - Gee, the producers weren't pushing for this guy too much, were they? His jokes are okay, but he's only going through because he has CP.
You could not be more wrong about Josh Blue. He was among the funniest last night and is clearly a very talented comedian. I think you can't get past the fact he has palsy, and just see him as a comedian.

And no, they gave him no more airtime than anyone else last night.

It's clear that only 3/5 were chosen for their on-stage talent. Macie and Gay were chosen for their off-stage antics.
Old 06-07-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think they picked April for sitcom potential, and a bit of eye-candy appeal for the house. Joey brought a lot of energy to the show, though the material was okay. Wasn't crazy about the Roz pick. I wouldn't have mind it if Nikki got in the house, but the talent guy Ross was right in saying she wasn't quite ready for primetime at this point in her life. Go Josh Blue!
Old 06-07-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
I did't see Roz last night, but she got a "meh" from me during the premiere.
Did you guys get the memo? Black woman + fat = funny. To me that's the only reason Roz made it because she was mediocre at best.
Old 06-07-06, 08:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Am I crazy, or were several of these comedians not shown last week?

Tig Notaro's routine was a rip-off of an Ellen Degeneres joke from 20 years ago.
Old 06-07-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You could not be more wrong about Josh Blue. He was among the funniest last night and is clearly a very talented comedian. I think you can't get past the fact he has palsy, and just see him as a comedian.
It is difficult to look past the CP since that is his entire act, but I think I'm the only one looking at him just as a comedian. Everyone else can't get over the fact that he has CP, and he's getting more praise because of it. It certainly is admirable that he doesn't let it restrict him, but his jokes were only average.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And no, they gave him no more airtime than anyone else last night.
Except for showing him getting a standing ovation.
Old 06-07-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Joey Gay was reminding me a little of Rich Vos last night ... maybe it was just the accent. I swear ... they'd show the judges, and I could see them looking at each other thinking ... we know what we say doesn't matter, but this is one easy paycheck!
Old 06-07-06, 08:54 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, hated Roz. Thought she was one of the worst last night. Her prostitution bit might have been funny, but her angry yelling delivery zapped the joke of its potential. I can understand that type of delivery if you're doing a rant, but not in a joke that's trying to be clever.

April Macie was mainly getting laughs with goofy facial expressions, which is ironic since it seemed like they were cutting people for that kind of crap in the audition round.

I think Nikki actually made me laugh the most, but apparently the audience didn't agree. But then again, I liked Bonnie McFarlane, too.
Old 06-07-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charlie Goose

Perhaps he's the only performer that got one? He did win the audience vote for the night.

I agree that from what we saw, Josh's material is just "OK", but I disagree that there's anyone else doing any better that we've seen and that he's just getting through on his disability. The reality is that we have no idea how good these peoples' acts are, because we don't see them. For everyone moving on to the next round, we probably saw their worst material, so the producers can save the best for later in the show. So who really knows who is good and who isn't.

das
Old 06-07-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I absolutely can not stand Joey Gay. He does just YELL and sounds like Gilbert Godfried...not to mention his jokes are pretty weak. I also HATE April Macie's delivery...some of her material is alright (last week moreso) but he delivery is too cartoony and just GRATES on me. Never got the appeal of Roz...didn't find her that funny.

I do think Chris Porter and Josh Blue are two of the best so far this season though. They both have some very funny jokes and a good style...this show has been filled with people who have good material but just don't know how to deliver it properly. Chris and Josh know how to deliver it.

I am in love with Nikki Glaser and was pissed she didn't make it. Hot and funny - she'll find a career...I love her unPC jokes (the swearing jar one was just OK, but her material from last week and the date rape one were complete GOLD) and really wish she had made it. I'm interested to see who makes it next week...there are two people I'm rooting for (can't remember his name...)the Hank Hill guy and Josh McDermit...they better bring it next week.

MATT
Old 06-07-06, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Am I crazy, or were several of these comedians not shown last week?
In this case you are not crazy, I didn't recognize some of them also.

Josh Blue was the funniest, CP or not. His impromptu joke about being a traffic cop was very funny. Sure he was using his CP as a basis for most of his jokes, but that is the same as Ralphie May using his being overweight as a basis for his jokes.

And hey you idiots at NBC, the Alex Theater is not in Los Angeles, it's in Glendale which is right next to Los Angeles. I understand that most people haven't heard of Glendale, but still.

I guess the owners of the Alex agreed to this so they could get the exposure.

Chris
Old 06-07-06, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
It is difficult to look past the CP since that is his entire act, but I think I'm the only one looking at him just as a comedian. Everyone else can't get over the fact that he has CP, and he's getting more praise because of it. It certainly is admirable that he doesn't let it restrict him, but his jokes were only average.

Well, they certainly gave Macie and Gay alot of backstage and monologue time, and Josh didn't get any. THOSE are the two they are pumping.
Old 06-07-06, 09:39 AM

http://www.nbc.com/Last_Comic_Standing/voting/
Old 06-07-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. Doug Mellard bombed.

das
Old 06-07-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nikki Glaser reminds me a little of a young Teri Garr.

Nikki's material is really dark stuff. She throws around terms like rape, pimps, and ho's like it's Christmas in a dark street alley.
Old 06-07-06, 10:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So, this online vote puts two more comics on the show?
Old 06-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Who was the guy with the joke about writing it down on the deposit slip since it was money in the bank? I think he was the only guy that I laughed out loud at. I'm a sucker for profanity.

That Macie chick reminded me of all the things I hate about Jenny McCarthy. THe facial expressions, the bad jokes, ugh.
Old 06-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-07-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iggystar
Did you guys get the memo? Black woman + fat = funny. To me that's the only reason Roz made it because she was mediocre at best.
She is irritating. I can't stand her.

Joey Gay is the love child of Adam Sandler and Gilbert Gottfried and they really should have had an abortion.

Even before they started picking the finalists I told the hub, "They're going to pick the most PC finalists - at least the black chick, and the palsy guy." I was right on.

I don't mind Josh Blue. He made me laugh. Roz, on the other hand, just sounds like any other angry fat chick. Only less funny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.