Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever applied to a reality show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Have you ever applied to a reality show?
Yes, the adventure would be awesome
15.00%
Yes, I want the money but that's it
2.50%
No, reality shows are garbage
62.50%
Reality shows are garbage... but I applied anyway
2.50%
Twikoff applied for me
22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure some of you have. I applied to what I guess turned out to be Survivor Pulau although obviously I didn't make it. I could be persuaded to post the video here.
Old 06-06-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't personally, but two friends of mine have each tried for Survivor and Amazing Race (with the Race friend trying at least twice so far).

I personally think the adventure of Race would be more of a "payday" than winning it. Not that I'd turn down the prize.
Old 06-06-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I'm sure some of you have. I applied to what I guess turned out to be Survivor Pulau although obviously I didn't make it. I could be persuaded to post the video here.
Please, please, please?
Old 06-06-06, 10:29 AM

I'm curious to see your video. I have not applied for any show. I don't think I could do Survivor, but I would love to go on the Amazing Race!
Old 06-06-06, 10:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've applied for Amazing Race once. I've also been part of the Project Greenlight process twice (entered scripts and got to later rounds).
Old 06-06-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright, since you asked so nicely, here it is: http://www.buskerdog.com/vids/survivor.wmv
Old 06-06-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
I haven't applied for any, but I don't think they're all garbage either.

I have thought about applying for the Amazing Race, but twikoff applied for me I guess.
Old 06-06-06, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My brother had a friend who's sister was a Casting Director for various reality shows. They wanted him to come down sooo bad.

She (the casting director) told my brother that they are so hard pressed to find "real" people for shows. Most of the people they get are wanna be "actors" the unemployed etc.

When he was at the final audition, he said that everyone there had a head shot, were on reality shows before, or had tried out for other reality shows.

He got picked for some show - but turned them down - I advised him that you have no way to know how you will be edited etc... (The show was something to do with travel and exotic adventures , like rafting in Africa, then hiking in China. The viewers would vote where everyone would go to next I said that sounds lame and you could end up being the next Joe Shmoe or goofed on the whole time.
Old 06-06-06, 11:42 AM

for Big Brother
Old 06-06-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, but I did try to get on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire a bunch of times.
Old 06-06-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
My brother had a friend who's sister was a Casting Director for various reality shows. They wanted him to come down sooo bad.

She (the casting director) told my brother that they are so hard pressed to find "real" people for shows. Most of the people they get are wanna be "actors" the unemployed etc.

When he was at the final audition, he said that everyone there had a head shot, were on reality shows before, or had tried out for other reality shows.

He got picked for some show - but turned them down - I advised him that you have no way to know how you will be edited etc... (The show was something to do with travel and exotic adventures , like rafting in Africa, then hiking in China. The viewers would vote where everyone would go to next I said that sounds lame and you could end up being the next Joe Shmoe or goofed on the whole time.
that kind of sounds like the take 5 show on travel channel (ive never seen it but from the commercials thats what it sounds like)
Old 06-06-06, 12:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
My brother and I applied for Amazing Race a few years ago, but never got a call. I looked at our application video awhile back before recording over it, and I can definitely see why we never heard from them. It was beyond horrible.
Old 06-06-06, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Alright, since you asked so nicely, here it is: http://www.buskerdog.com/vids/survivor.wmv
Good Clip! Anybody who lives in Brooklyn, NY is definetly a Survivor! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-06-06, 01:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I want to apply for amazing race, but have not got around to it yet.
Old 06-06-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I keep putting off doing applying for the Amazing Race with my mom. She really wanted to do it, but I can't find the time to go if selected.
Old 06-06-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I think one of the problems with applying for a reality show is trying to get time off from work. I know one of the contract clauses for Survivor and The Amazing Race is that you cannot tell your employer or anybody where your going to for the 30+ days without risking a lawsuit. I know my boss would never let me take 30+ days off from work without a really good reason, even if I had the vacation time available.
Old 06-06-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

for those who have or want to apply for the amazing race, who did you choose or who would you choose for your partner? friend? brother/sister? wife/husband? gf/bf? other?
Old 06-06-06, 01:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I'd do TAR with a friend.
the mrs would never go on tv.
Old 06-06-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

applied to be on paradise hotel
Old 06-06-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
I think one of the problems with applying for a reality show is trying to get time off from work. I know one of the contract clauses for Survivor and The Amazing Race is that you cannot tell your employer or anybody where your going to for the 30+ days without risking a lawsuit. I know my boss would never let me take 30+ days off from work without a really good reason, even if I had the vacation time available.
That's interesting. I don't know if I could ever get that much time off, even going the "time off, unpaid" route.
Old 06-06-06, 02:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Bandoman and I applied to be on Amazing Race. We were turned down because, apparently, they'd "reached the quota" on gay couples for that season.
Old 06-06-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chew
That's interesting. I don't know if I could ever get that much time off, even going the "time off, unpaid" route.
The biggest problem is that you have to be available for like 2 weeks of semi-finals casting in LA. If I were selected and had hinted to my boss what was happening he would have been cool with it. But to leave work for two weeks just to go to more CASTING seemed crazy to me. Of course, now that I'm self-employed...
Old 06-06-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
A friend and I thought about applying to Amazing Race. We've always talked about how much fun that would be, but then she printed out the application that we would have to fill out. Wow! That's a lot of pages -- and very detailed, too. We were just too lazy to even think about going through all of that.

But like some of you others, I don't think there's anyway that I would be able to take off the amount of work necessary to participate, especially for something that is really long like Big Brother. I mean, you do well on that show and you've missed an entire summer.
Old 06-06-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've tried to "apply" for COPS, but they never show up with cameras.
Old 06-06-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I've tried to "apply" for COPS, but they never show up with cameras.
Come on, you should know which neighborhoods to go to.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.