Reload this Page >

The Shield's sixth season is a go

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-05-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to this morning's Ausiello Report, "reliable sources" have confirmed that a sixth season of The Shield has been green-lit. It seems that show creator Shawn Ryan is confident that there's still plenty more story to tell. Of course, at this rate, a sixth season probably won't be seen until sometime in late 2007 or 2008.

The last ten episodes of season five are currently being filmed and won't air until early 2007, which gives FX time to finish out the third season of Rescue Me and the fourth season of Nip/Tuck. No matter how you look at this though, it's good news. The Shield is easily one of the top five shows on TV (in my book anyway) and it's good to know that it'll be around for a little while longer.

source
Old 06-05-06, 07:59 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
My wife and I recently discovered The Shield on DVD, and have frantically, nay, obsessively worked our way up to midway through season four. I'm glad we'll eventually have more episodes to watch.
Old 06-05-06, 08:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

That's awesome news.

The Shield is the best show on TV period.

While its not for everyone's taste (because of some of its graphic, but necessary, violence), it is by far the best written show today, and arguably, one of the top 5 'cop' shows of all-time.

Hill Street Blues created the mold. NYPD Blue continued the tradition and The Shield takes it to another level.
Old 06-05-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yahoo's picked it up ..

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - FX gave "The Shield" a new lease on life Monday, ordering a seventh and final season of the cop drama.

The fate of the critically acclaimed series was uncertain heading into the second half of its sixth season in early 2007. Now those 10 episodes will be followed up by a fresh batch of 13 episodes to air in late 2007 or early 2008.

The entire cast will return for the remaining 23 episodes, including Michael Chiklis, who plays the corrupt Detective Vic Mackey. Forest Whitaker, who joined the series this year, will return on a limited basis for the remainder of the sixth season.

"The writers and I weren't quite ready to step away from these characters just yet," said Shawn Ryan, the show's creator and executive producer, who will return as showrunner.

The additional episode order will bring "The Shield" to 88 at the end of its run.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060606/tv_nm/shield_dc

dunno why they're calling it the 7th...but I imagine they mean the 6th..as they mention the 2nd half of the 6th, when they mean the 5th..

looks like they're calling the 10 episodes that were part of season 5 the 6th season ..and the last 13 are going to be the 7th..

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/newswire.aspx?id=7170

As for "The Shield," 13 fresh installments are set to be produced for the final season, which will launch in late 2007 or early 2008. Production is currently underway on its sixth cycle of 10 episodes (due in early 2007), which was originally billed as the second half of its fifth season. In total, 88 episodes will have been shot of the series once it run concludes.
Old 06-05-06, 09:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Looking forward to it, I just watched Season 4 on DVD. I'm hoping that they'll give Lemonhead plenty of screentime in the last two seasons!
Old 06-05-06, 09:14 PM

I love the Shield, but I was kind of looking forward to the wrap-up and felt it was about time for the show to end.
Old 06-05-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... both for the extra episodes and the definitive ending, so as to wrap things up and prevent them from running it into the ground.
Old 06-05-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Surprising they didn't go to 100 (the purely subjective syndication number). However, the more the merrier.
Old 06-05-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Shawn Ryan is going to be a really really busy and filthy rich man in the next 2 years as The Shield and Unit show runner.
Old 06-05-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Good news. Unfortunately, I don't have cable so I have to wait for the dvd releases. At least I'll have something to look forward to.
Old 06-05-06, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Surprising they didn't go to 100 (the purely subjective syndication number). However, the more the merrier.
Well, we've already got SpikeTV airing reruns of the show, so it would have been a bit moot to drag it on just to get to 100.

Now that I think of it, it really feels like there have been more episodes of the show than there have been. So much has happened since the first episode, it really doesn't feel like it's only been 65 episodes, which is less than three seasons on a regular show!
Old 06-06-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know how likely this might be on the budgetary side, but I wonder if they won't kick this new "season 6" up to maybe 12 episodes to round it out at an even 90 if they come up with a good idea for the excess screen time. If not, 88 is plenty. Heck, it's a season more than I figured we were in for.
Old 06-06-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great news.
Old 06-06-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vegasbaby
While its not for everyone's taste (because of some of its graphic, but necessary, violence), it is by far the best written show today, and arguably, one of the top 5 'cop' shows of all-time.

Hill Street Blues created the mold. NYPD Blue continued the tradition and The Shield takes it to another level.
I would go even further and say it was one of the top 2 cop shows of all time, and it may eventually pass NYPD Blue for the #1 spot.
Old 06-06-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
part of me is happy about this, the other part is kinda bummed. I want this show to go out on top...i'm afraid w/ probably 20 some more episodes to air that we're going to lose something here.

Every season has kicked the pressure on the strike team up a notch. After this last season w/ Whitaker's character...where can they go??

~Jason
Old 06-06-06, 09:44 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
The first half of season 5 was one of its strongest (IMO) -- glad to hear this news.
Old 06-06-06, 09:47 AM

I agree with JayDerek.

I'm happy that the show's getting another 13 episodes, but honestly, I was happy with the show ending after the next 10. This season, with all that's happened, has been absolutely amazing and would have been the perfect coda to The Shield. After everything that's happened, I just don't see how the 7th season could top 5.5 (er 6).
Old 06-06-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
part of me is happy about this, the other part is kinda bummed. I want this show to go out on top...i'm afraid w/ probably 20 some more episodes to air that we're going to lose something here.

Every season has kicked the pressure on the strike team up a notch. After this last season w/ Whitaker's character...where can they go??
I'm with you there. It seems like most of the people who have posted in this thread did not see the last episode of the last run of new ones. After that huge messy cliff-hanger, I was ready for it to start wrapping up. I mean that was headed to a series finale within the next few episodes was the only way I could justify
Spoiler:
Lem dying like that.
Old 06-06-06, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek

~Jason
Spoiler:
Well, I'm guessing that the rest of the season is going to focus mainly on the investigation into Lem's death. Kavanaugh seems convinced that Vic had something to do with it, Vic is goign to be gunning for the gang involved with the grenades, and Shane is going to be doing everything he can to steer the investigation away from him. After that, who knows?
Old 06-06-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Excellent news, and I have confidence they call pull this off.
Old 06-06-06, 03:00 PM

Here's the teaser for part 2 of Season 5 if you haven't seen it yet..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xmh07_H1Y...h=the%20shield

Spoiler:
Vic and Kavanaugh get ready to rumble at the end
Old 06-06-06, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TK-421
Here's the teaser for part 2 of Season 5 if you haven't seen it yet..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xmh07_H1Y...h=the%20shield

Spoiler:
Vic and Kavanaugh get ready to rumble at the end
It just kind of stinks that they're showing it quite this early... I know a few people who are just now watching the show through the reruns on SpikeTV (they're coming to the end of the second season), and they also watch Rescue Me and/or Nip Tuck, and I've had to tell them to avoid commercials on FX wherever possible...

Speaking of season promos, does anybody know where I could download the one they were showing before the season started? It's the one with Vic viewing the various slides with the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt" playing.
Old 06-06-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
That came out of nowhere. I figured this last 10 were going to be it. While more Shield is great, I just worry about it being stretched too far. I was confident that this is one of the rare shows that never jumps the shark. 2 more seasons will make that a harder test.
Old 06-06-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Looking forward to it, I just watched Season 4 on DVD. I'm hoping that they'll give Lemonhead plenty of screentime in the last two seasons!

Major Heads up, if you haven't seen the fifth season, I reccomend not watching FX for a while, because thier new add for the Shield, has a MAJOR, MAJOR spoiler in it, and it is right at the beginning of the add. With that said it is a hell of a cool add that made me applaud when I saw it.

Anyway after watching what happened with the end of this season or half season, I was actually ready for them to finish up the show on a very high note.
Old 06-07-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBob
Major Heads up, if you haven't seen the fifth season, I reccomend not watching FX for a while, because thier new add for the Shield, has a MAJOR, MAJOR spoiler in it, and it is right at the beginning of the add. With that said it is a hell of a cool add that made me applaud when I saw it.

Anyway after watching what happened with the end of this season or half season, I was actually ready for them to finish up the show on a very high note.
No worries. He's being his version of funny "sarcastic".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.