Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Name Double CD Albums

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Name Double CD Albums

Old 06-05-06, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name Double CD Albums

Seeing as the latest Red Hot Chili Peppers release is a 2CD album, could u name others that u remember? Right off the top of my head I remember:

1. Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness
2. Outkast- Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
3. Guns N' Roses- Use Your Illusion I & II (even though the cds are separated, I think this should count solely on them being named the same)
4. Foo Fighters- In Your Honor
4. Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti (although I've always seen this as a double LP, which is what it is, instead of a 2CD)

Well, that's what I recall for now. Anyway, I think the whole 2CD album idea is mostly overkill and I think it's really hard to pull off, because artists usually don't achieve a consistent level of excellency when they're putting out more than the usual 45-80 minute span on the same release. The Use Your Illusions prove this point. It may also be that it's difficult to take all that music in 1 sitting, although I can listen to Physical Graffiti all the way through everytime, it's such an excellent double record! So it may work but it'd require an artist with the creativity of a Zeppelin maybe? So what do u think?

By the way, the new RHCP's is alright, but I think it also has quite a bit of filler.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-05-06 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch/Lucky Town
Metallica - Garage Inc
Old 06-05-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Countless Live Discs
Wilco - Being There
Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
The Who - Quadrophenia
Elton John - Goodbe Yellow Brick Road
The Beatles - The White Album
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Super Furry Animals - Mnwg
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun
Old 06-05-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

um...Pink Floyd - The Wall. Can't believe that wasn't mentioned already.

Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 06-05-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 04:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
Super Furry Animals - Mnwg

the first (US) pressings included the 'Out Spaced' album (rare tracks/b-sides from SFA's first two albums) - the new release along with other back catalogue titles includes a second disc that included more b-sides.

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-06 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 04:58 PM

Um, there's got to be a ton of them. I'm assuming you're talking about studio albums and not live double albums, 2-disc best of collections, 2-disc DJ Remix albums, 2-disc classical albums (like the Brandenburg Concertos, etc.) and single albums with "bonus discs" or with 2-disc "deluxe" reissues because there's tons of all those out there.

Here's some from my collection:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2
Aphex Twin - Druqks
Beatles - The White Album
Kate Bush - Aerial
Eliza Carthy - Red Rice
Johnny Cash - Personal File
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Ani DiFranco - Revelling: Reckoning
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Eels - Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Orbital - The Altogether
Over The Rhine - Ohio
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Soul Whirling Somewhere - Hope Was
Wilco - Being There

And then there's
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (a 3-disc studio album)
and
Frank Zappa - Läther (which may or may not count as a 3-disc studio album, given its odd history)
Old 06-05-06, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2pac - All Eyes On Me
2pac - R U Still Down?
Biggie - Life After Death
Old 06-05-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Wu Tang Forever
Old 06-05-06, 05:32 PM

Bruce Springsteen - The River
Old 06-05-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What is the point of this thread? To list double albums?

Perhaps a better discussion would be mediocre double albums that would have been great single lps.
Old 06-05-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street
Don't know about other double albums/cds but at least a fourth of Physical Graffiti is left over material from Houses of the Holy.
Old 06-05-06, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott
Um, there's got to be a ton of them. I'm assuming you're talking about studio albums and not live double albums, 2-disc best of collections, 2-disc DJ Remix albums, 2-disc classical albums (like the Brandenburg Concertos, etc.) and single albums with "bonus discs" or with 2-disc "deluxe" reissues because there's tons of all those out there.

Here's some from my collection:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2
Aphex Twin - Druqks
Beatles - The White Album
Kate Bush - Aerial
Eliza Carthy - Red Rice
Johnny Cash - Personal File
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Ani DiFranco - Revelling: Reckoning
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Eels - Blinking Lights And Other Revelations
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Orbital - The Altogether
Over The Rhine - Ohio
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?
Soul Whirling Somewhere - Hope Was
Wilco - Being There

And then there's
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (a 3-disc studio album)
and
Frank Zappa - Läther (which may or may not count as a 3-disc studio album, given its odd history)

Yeah, just as TScott said, I was only referring to studio albums. Best ofs and compilations don't count.

By the way, I can't believe I forgot The Wall and The White Album! Anyway, the thing with The Wall, as with Physical Graffiti, is essentially a 2LP that just barely doesn't fit in 1CD. That's different to say, the 3LP that is Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness. Maybe recent bands should maybe consider doing 2CDs this way as well, with no more than say 50 minutes per disc.

Thanks for that hefty list. Anyway, Blonde on Blonde was packaged as 1 CD, I believe, even though it was a 2LP. I was refering to 2CD studio albums, whether they're 2, 3 or 4 LPs. I was also trying to see the progression of how the CD format has altered the way that double albums are done, which means that each CD in recent releases has at least 60 minutes of music, as opposed to double albums from the 70s that don't have anymore than 50-55m per disc.

Originally Posted by rw2516
Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street
Don't know about other double albums/cds but at least a fourth of Physical Graffiti is left over material from Houses of the Holy.
By the way, Exile On Main Street is a 2LP, not a 2CD. If that is true about Physical Graffiti, then they sure made outstanding leftover material. Then again, it was Zep.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-06-06 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-05-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by auto

Perhaps a better discussion would be mediocre double albums that would have been great single lps.
I remember George Martin(producer for the Beatles) talking about that in reference to the White album and he agreed that it would have been an amazing single album but at the same time it has stood the test of time as a standard for double albums even with the weaker songs so in retrospect he wouldnt go back and change it and im glad for that personally.
Old 06-05-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Jay-Z - The Blueprint 2
Eightball - Lost
Nas - Street's Disciple
Andrew Dice Clay - The Day The Laughter Died
E-40 - The Element of Surprise
Krayzie Bone - Thug Mentality 1999
Nelly - Sweat/Suit
Prince - 1999
Prince - Sign O The Times
2Pac - R U Still Down?
2Pac - Better Dayz
2Pac - Until The End of Time
Old 06-05-06, 11:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tscott
Orbital - The Altogether

as you noted the second disc is comprised of remixes, B-sides and unreleased tracks - which is exclusive to the US edition, since the UK version was released earlier than the US one and had a bonus disc tacked on as a incentive for the delay. Sadly the DVD version of the album, which includes a stellar DTS 5.1 soundmix of the album was at one point promised for a US release, yet never happened.
Old 06-06-06, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Would you count System of a Down's Hyptonize and Mezmerize?
Old 06-06-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Tom Waits - Blood Money/Alice. Released on the same day and are among his best work.
Old 06-06-06, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by auto

Well, I just wanted to see what other 2CD albums there are out there, but your suggestion is a very welcome one. Actually, I'd say that most 2CD albums would make a better single CD instead.

I would start with Use Your Illusion.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-06-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp
I remember George Martin(producer for the Beatles) talking about that in reference to the White album and he agreed that it would have been an amazing single album but at the same time it has stood the test of time as a standard for double albums even with the weaker songs so in retrospect he wouldnt go back and change it and im glad for that personally.
Totally agree with this. Although I rarely hear this completely like Physical Graffiti or The Wall, I'd say there is very little filler in The White Album and the particular charm is knowing Paul and John are just having an all-out fight in the songwriting department. It's sort of like: "Well, I've got this song that's better than yours" and they went on and on and ended up recording more songs than the usual, and put them there for the whole world to hear how much they were starting to hate each other, hehehe. That element would have been lost in a single release.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-06-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
as you noted the second disc is comprised of remixes, B-sides and unreleased tracks - which is exclusive to the US edition, since the UK version was released earlier than the US one and had a bonus disc tacked on as a incentive for the delay. Sadly the DVD version of the album, which includes a stellar DTS 5.1 soundmix of the album was at one point promised for a US release, yet never happened.
Oops. I knew enough not to list In Sides as a two disc album, but looking at The Altogether listing in my cdcollectorz program I didn't see anything marking disc 2 as a remix bonus CD. Looking at the actual disc now, I see I should've left it off. (it's been a while since I listened to it, if you haven't already guessed )
Old 06-06-06, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Would you count System of a Down's Hyptonize and Mezmerize?
Even though they came 6 months apart, I think it qualifies, if just for the link with the album covers. Though this just proves how much the marketing of the double album has changed since the concept started.
Old 06-06-06, 11:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prince - Emancipation (Actually 3 CDs)

Arguably, you could include Shakira's "Fijación Oral Vol. 1" and "Oral Fixation Vol. 2" (released about 6 months apart); and Everclear's "Songs from an American Movie, Vol. 1: Learning How to Smile" and "Songs from an American Movie, Vol. 2: Good Time for a Bad Attitude" (released about 5 months apart). Although those are admittedly looser defintions of double albums.

Last edited by DRG; 06-06-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Prince - Emancipation (Actually 3 CDs)

Arguably, you could include Shakira's "Fijación Oral Vol. 1" and "Oral Fixation Vol. 2" (released about 6 months apart); and Everclear's "Songs from an American Movie, Vol. 1: Learning How to Smile" and "Songs from an American Movie, Vol. 2: Good Time for a Bad Attitude" (released about 5 months apart). Although those are admittedly looser defintions of double albums.
I totally agree with you there. I think it's more a marketing gimmick than anything else. I don't know if I'm jaded, I certainly don't want to limit the possibilities a musician has of presenting his/her ideas, but more often than not it's just really an excuse to justify weak material on albums and then on top of that you have to pay twice! At least none of the artists that have done this recently interest me enough to buy their albums.

Last edited by polietilen; 06-06-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Dream Theater - 6 degrees of Inner Turbulence
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle
Ayreon - The Human Equation

Then a double with seperate but close releases(now packaged as a double):
Ayreon - Universal Migrator I: The Dream Sequencer
Ayreon - Universal Migrator II: Flight of the Migrator