Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Black Crowes: The Lost Crowes (2xCD) - 8/29/06

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from NME:

The Black Crowes to release new album
Well, it's made up of old stuff

The Black Crowes are to release a new double album later this year.

The band, who reformed to play London shows earlier this year, release the double 'The Lost Crowes' on August 29. It's made up of tracks culled from previous recording sessions.

Billboard reports the first CD will be called 'The Band Sessions' and will feature material recorded in 1997 such as an early version of the single 'By Your Side' called 'If It Ever Stops Raining', 'Paint An 8', 'Life Vest' and 'Another Roadside Tragedy'.

Disc 2 will be called 'The Tall Sessions', and features tracks recorded from 1993, including earlier versions of songs which appeared on the 1994 'Amorica' album. Songs on this disc include 'Thunderstorm 654', 'Feathers' and an alternate version of 'Ballad In Urgency' called 'Lowdown'.

Also due on August 29 is the DVD debut of the 1992 video compilation 'Who Killed That Bird Out On Your Window Sill'.

---------------------

I look forward to any new material from these guys. Even if it's just new to me.
Old 06-02-06, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to see them in Charlotte next month. That DVD from San Francisco is fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing these releases as well.
Old 06-02-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
They play a lot of those unreleased songs live, and while it's not their best material, it's still very solid stuff.

If you want to buy some great live Crowes cds, go here:
http://www.instantlive.com/artist.html?a=1003

I highly recommend the LA shows, which I was at (all 5! - completely different sets, 3 hours each) - they were much better than even the Fillmore shows which is what's on the dvd, which they did a month before the LA shows.

These live performances are so good, that I can't even listen to the regular albums anymore.

Last edited by slop101; 06-02-06 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the link!

These guys are fantastic and an absolute favorite of mine.
Old 06-02-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More details:

THE BLACK CROWES GO INTO THE VAULT FOR THE LOST CROWES

Two-Disc Collection Features Sessions for
Two Unreleased Black Crowes Albums Tall and Band
Plus the DVD Debut of the Band’s 1992 Home Video

Available August 29 From Rhino

LOS ANGELES – Twice The Black Crowes have recorded albums that were never officially released: Tall in 1993 and Band in 1997. While a few songs from these lost albums were rerecorded and released on studio albums, many have emerged only through the band’s legendary live shows. The Black Crowes recently went into the vault, collecting the best moments from those abandoned sessions for a special treat for their longtime fans. Titled THE LOST CROWES, it is a two-disc set of unreleased music that has been remixed for its public debut on Rhino. The compilation will be available August 29 at all retail outlets and at www.rhino.com for a suggested retail price of $24.98. The same day, the band’s 1992 home video, WHO KILLED THAT BIRD OUT ON YOUR WINDOW SILL, will make its DVD debut on Rhino Home Video for a suggested retail price of $14.99.

In fall of 1993 vocalist Chris Robinson, guitarists Rich Robinson and Marc Ford, drummer Steve Gorman, bassist Johnny Colt, and keyboardist Ed Harsch recorded more than 30 songs at Conway Studios in Los Angeles. Working on the follow-up to Southern Harmony And Musical Companion, the band descended into an emotional, startlingly heavy creative patch that became a stepping-stone to the 1994 album, amorica.

Named after an old jazz term for getting high, the Tall sessions contain a total of 16 unreleased tracks that offer an unflinching glimpse into rough and beautiful music born from turmoil and tension. THE LOST CROWES includes early versions of seven amorica songs such as “A Conspiracy,” “Descending,” “Wiser Time” and “Cursed Diamond.” The collection also features the undiscovered classics “Tied Up And Swallowed,” “Feathers,” “Thunderstorm 654” and “Lowdown,” a sad lost anthem that became “Ballad In Urgency.”

Four years later, the band came off the road after headlining the Furthur Festival and went into a Nashville studio to record songs for a planned follow-up to 1996’s acclaimed Three Snakes & One Charm. Where Tall thrives on the mayhem of their young Los Angeles days, Band confidently probes some of The Black Crowes’ most mature, thoughtful work.

The Band sessions contain 10 songs including a different version of the B-side “Peace Anyway,” plus “If It Ever Stops Raining,” a song that would become the title-track to the 1999 album By Your Side. The compilation also spotlights the taut riff rock of “Paint An 8,” the windblown ache of “Wyoming & Me” along with the freaky-longhaired-Mother Earth grooves of “Another Roadside Tragedy,” “Grinnin” and “Life Vest.”

Paul Stacey has remixed all of the music on THE LOST CROWES, which also includes liner notes spotlighting the stories behind these legendary lost sessions as told by the Robinsons.

The Black Crowes released its first home video, WHO KILLED THAT BIRD OUT ON YOUR WINDOW SILL, in 1992 while touring for the band’s sophomore album. Rhino Home Video will release a remastered and expanded version of the video on DVD that features live performances, interviews, backstage and studio footage, videos from the group’s first two albums, and additional bonus features.

THE LOST CROWES
Track Listing

Disc 1: The Band Sessions
1. “Paint An 8”
2. “Grinnin”
3. “If It Ever Stops Raining”
4. “Wyoming & Me”
5. “Predictable”
6. “Never Forget This Song”
7. “Life Vest”
8. “Another Roadside Tragedy”
9. “My Heart’s Killing Me”
10. “Peace Anyway”

Disc 2: The Tall Sessions
1. “A Conspiracy”
2. “Evil Eye”
3. “Cursed Diamond”
4. “London P25”
5. “Dirty Hair Halo”
6. “Hi-Head Blues”
7. “Feathers”
8. “Nonfiction”
9. “Tied Up And Swallowed”
10. “Wiser Time”
11. “Sunday Buttermilk Waltz”
12. “Descending”
13. “Lowdown”
14. “Tornado”
15. “Songs Of The Flesh”
16. “Thunderstorm 6:54”
Old 08-29-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI, the Lost Crowes CD has been pushed back to September 26, due to a manufacturing defect (the art on the 2 CDs go reversed - The Tall CD is labled "Band" and the Band CD got labled "Tall"). AFAIK, the DVD is still a go for 08/29.

Some of you still might be able to find the CD, so keep the above glitch in mind.
Old 08-29-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I'm hoping that these discs will contain some of the outake material that the band made with Andy Sturmmer and Roger Manning of Jellyfish. I know that they were working with them around the time of Amorica, and that a few songs did end up on that album - but I also remember reading about quite a bit of good stuff that didn't.
Old 08-29-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
FYI, the Lost Crowes CD has been pushed back to September 26, due to a manufacturing defect (the art on the 2 CDs go reversed - The Tall CD is labled "Band" and the Band CD got labled "Tall"). AFAIK, the DVD is still a go for 08/29.

Some of you still might be able to find the CD, so keep the above glitch in mind.
FYI, I bought this today at the Best Buy in Ann Arbor, MI for $17.99 and they had about ten copies. Haven't broke it open yet so I can't confirm the artwork glitch.
Old 08-29-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought this at Zia Records in Las Vegas today. The discs are indeed mislabeled (e.g., Tall is Band. Band Is Tall.) They sound great though.
Old 08-29-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just for shits & giggles I decided to check the Circuit City near my home, and they had about 5 copies. Grabbed one, took it to the register, and when they rang it up, it showed a release date of 01/01/07. So they wouldn't sell it to me. After I told them how much they suck, I went accross the street to Best Buy, which had one solitary copy in a new-realease rack. They rang it up just fine and as I walked out with the CD in hand, I was about to go back to CC and beat that manager in the face with the CD. But instead I went home and threw it on to my ipod. As a long-time Crowes fan, I've been waiting for this realease for 10 years.
Old 08-30-06, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
As a long-time Crowes fan, I've been waiting for this realease for 10 years.
That would keep me from going back to CC for good. What tools they are.

As a long time fan, what do you think about Eddie being let go? Any idea what the "personal issues" are? Did not mean to hijack, it just seems like people know on the Crowes' board, but don't talk about it.
Old 08-30-06, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by duse
That would keep me from going back to CC for good. What tools they are.

As a long time fan, what do you think about Eddie being let go? Any idea what the "personal issues" are? Did not mean to hijack, it just seems like people know on the Crowes' board, but don't talk about it.
That's all the folks at Amorica.org are talking about. The thread over there is over 35 pages long.

Apparently, the new keyboardist wrote a statement about how honored he was to be playing with the Crowes. He indicated that Eddie left because of health problems. I don't think the brothers kicked him out...
Old 08-30-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Best Buy has this on sale at their site as well.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1556485
Might be worth ordering if you can't find it in-store and don't want to wait.
Old 08-30-06, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
That's all the folks at Amorica.org are talking about. The thread over there is over 35 pages long.

Apparently, the new keyboardist wrote a statement about how honored he was to be playing with the Crowes. He indicated that Eddie left because of health problems. I don't think the brothers kicked him out...
I phrased that wrong. Most of the posts are the "Good Luck Ed, we'll miss you" type. I guess I was wondering what the health problems were, being nosy.
Old 08-30-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eddie's never been the most healthy guy, and he's by far the oldest guy in the band.

I really think the continual touring and the non-stop 3-hour gigs did a number on him, and that he just physically couldn't take it anymore. I think he was suffering from extreme exhaustion and on doctor's orders he had to quit the band.

About the CD - it's so good, that I'm stunned they held on to it for this long. Songs like "Paint An 8" and "Another Roadside Tragedy" are very accessible and could have been big hits for them.
Old 08-30-06, 12:02 PM

Eddie missed a show or two early in the year with no explanation from him or the band. I've seen a few posts on the Amorica boards speculating that it was a heroin problem, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.
Old 08-30-06, 12:22 PM

I was in the Marriot lobby in Asheville, NC when the Black Crowes came through on March 11th. We were staying there because we went to see Glen Phillips, who was playing the same night. This guy (Eddie) is walking around the lobby, almost looking for somebody to talk to. I mentioned to my wife that I thought he was in the Black Crowes, but I was not going to approach him, because I did not know his name and really would not have had much to say. I had not listened to the Black Crowes since Southern Harmony, so I had not kept up w/ the band. He seemed very cordial talking to some people and had that same smile on his face that he almost has.

Then I saw the DVD and wish I would have spoken with him. I had no idea about how big of a part that he played with the band.

That's all I got, which is not much.
Old 08-31-06, 03:18 PM

The song Bewildered isn't on the list. Damn that's my favorite lost song.
Old 09-06-06, 11:36 AM
Banned

Just a heads-up, there are actually TWO double-disc Black Crowes releases coming this month.

The more high-profile release is obviously "The Lost Crowes" on the 26th (or earlier if you snagged one of the defective copies) but a CD-audio edition of their recent DVD release "Freak 'N' Roll Into The Fog" is being released one week earlier on the 19th. It's a 2-disc set and the tracklist is identical to the DVD.

It's odd that they're just a week apart. "The Lost Crowes" is a Rhino/WEA release and "Freak 'N' Roll Into The Fog" is an Eagle Records release, otherwise I imagine they would have tried to either coordinate the releases or space them out more.

Speaking of the different record labels, I think the Black Crowes should have the world record for most record companies to release a single band's albums.

American Recordings released the first four but during that time they were owned by several different companies, the last being Sony. The Crowes stayed on with Sony after their American contract expired for a single album and a compilation, then TVT released "Live at the Greek" with Jimmy Page and V2 release the studio album "Lions" and the "Live" album.

Now we have these two new releases from two labels that are new for them. I think they're pretty much "free agents" without a contract and have to sell their albums to labels on an individual basis by this point.

By the way, buying the new live album at Wal-Mart will get you a free download.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 09-06-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow.....that release sure flew under the radar...check it out:

The Black Crowes: Freak N Roll Into the Fog

Disc: 1

1. (Only) Halfway To Everywhere
2. Sting Me
3. No Speak No Slave
4. Soul Singing
5. Welcome To The Goodtimes
6. Jealous Again
7. Space Captain
8. My Morning Song
9. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz

Disc: 2

1. Cursed Diamond
2. She Talks To Angels
3. Wiser Time
4. Non Fiction
5. Seeing Things
6. Hard To Handle
7. Let Me Share The Ride
8. Mellow Down Easy
9. Remedy
10. The Night They Drove Ol’ Dixie Down

--------------

I'll be picking this up too!! What a good month for Crowes fans.
Old 09-06-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I was flipping through US Weekly in the checkout aisle and is said that Chris Robinson is expected to bring in $100K this year. That's it? That seems incredibly low.
Old 09-07-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
What a good month for Crowes fans.
Actually, Marc Ford just announced that he's leaving the band (the line given was for his health, but who knows). Couple that with Ed's departure, and it's really not too great a time to be a Crowes fan.

On the bright side though, they've announced that the brothers have begun writing new songs for a new album in 2007 - but without Marc and Ed, it'll be kind of a bummer.
Old 09-07-06, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by auto
What a good month for Crowes fans.
Actually, this is proving to be a terrible month for Crowes fans. Eddie's gone, MFF is gone, there are rumors floating that Gorman may be next, and the tour starts tomorrow with a new lead guitarist and keyboardist and apparently a shaky commitment form their drummer. Curious to see how the band turns out but not hopeful. MFF is one of my favorite guitar players, and the Crowes were shadows of their former selves for the few years he wasn't with the band. Eddie had been with them since 92 and one of the few constants besides the brothers.

Chris and Rich need to realize that their band members aren't sidemen. Eddie and MFF had chemistry with those guys that'll be nearly impossible to duplicate.
Old 09-21-06, 03:46 AM
Banned

Bump for the two new releases.

With the exception of the Wal-Mart download of "Lovin' Cup" the live CD offers no surprises if you already have the DVD. The liner notes and everything are identical to the DVD and all the artwork present on the CD release is present on the DVD release as well. It's pretty much a direct, no-frills translation.

I'm not really complaining, consistency is a good thing, but this is pushing it. One annoying (and possibly illegal) aspect is that there's no publishing information for any of the songs. This isn't a problem on the DVD because there are credits that include this info on the presentation itself, but that obviously can't be translated onto an audio recording.

Still, I'm glad that this is on CD. You can listen to a CD in your car and (easily) rip it to an MP3 player and put it on in the background but watching a DVD requires more attention. In other cases with a dual DVD/CD release I'll usually watch the DVD once or twice and listen to the CD countless times. This will be no exception. I wish every live concert video release was accompanied by an audio version like this.
Old 09-26-06, 11:11 AM
Banned

I'm about to head out to pick up "The Lost Crowes" now. I'm gonna purchase it at my local indie record store, I felt sorta bad because last week I went there for another CD ("Nuclear Daydream" by Joseph Arthur") and I asked the guy that runs the indie store about "The Lost Crowes" and the recall and he was like "we got a new live CD by them today" and I didn't want to tell him that I had just purchased it minutes earlier at the evil conglomerate Wal-Mart for their exclusive download.

There was a big uproar on their message board about the Wal-Mart exclusive, it certainly does seem to be at odds with the ideals of a band that used to be strongly opposed to corporate sponsorship of their concerts (not to mention that Wal-Mart censored the "Amorica." album art) but I have to admit that I buy a lot of DVD's there.

In any case, I'm gonna go buy it. If you're out today and you're worried about picking up an old defective copy the word is that the corrected version has a barcode sticker over the original barcode and that's the only difference between the two editions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.