Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I find out how many DVDs a title sold?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to find out how many DVD's the recent Comic Book Movies have sold.

Meaning how many Spider Man 1 and 2's were sold in comparison to say Batman Begins or Fantastic Four.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this question posted here before, so you might do a search, but I seem to recall the answer being there was no specific site. I usually check out amazon.com's sales listings to see how well certain DVDs are doing, though that won't give you exact numbers, and is only for their store.

For example, I looked up at Everwood, and it ranks in a 366 on their site. Beastmaster Season One? 17782. Yet we get additional seasons of Beastmaster and WB whines that Everwood doesn't do well enough to justify a season two set. Like I said, I know that is for their store, and there is a price difference between the two sets (a dramatic difference) but it does say something.

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-01-06 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 01:42 AM

the answer is, unless a company personally decides to announce how much something sold (i.e theyre proud, they slip up, or the figures just used to promote more sales) then you cant : theyre all very secretive about it. and besides, if one reveals a title, because its so uncommon, theres nothing to compare it too accurately. it all shifts about too over the years, one might mean a great year is only relatively few sold and so on...
Old 06-02-06, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always wanted an answer to this too, but I'm with the others, there just seems to be no place that has these records.

Someone must know something, though, because they announce the top ten selling and rental DVD's per week. Who compiles that data? It must be a third party, because the DVD's are from all different studios.
Old 06-02-06, 04:22 AM
Cool New Member

checkout the marvel site, might have estimate figures or something
Old 06-02-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
Someone must know something, though, because they announce the top ten selling and rental DVD's per week. Who compiles that data?
Billboard:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart...=Top+DVD+Sales

Video Business:
http://www.videobusiness.com/topDVDS...out=marketData

Those ranks are usually achieved through representative samples though, where they have a small selection of specific stores that they get the sale data from, compile it together, and rank from there. So they don't know how many total DVDs actually sold.

As for the studios, they usually only provide hard numbers of total DVDs sold for a specific title when it breaks a record or does exceedingly well, which means several million copies. This data isn't compiled anywhere though, and is usually just a one time thing. For example, you may be able to find how many copies of Spiderman DVD sold in the first week or month, but probably not up to date. Also, I beleive the studios use the number of DVDs sold to retailers for their numbers, not the number of DVDs that have actually gone out retailers doors, since they're not usually privy to that information. It's a subtle difference, but one that can have a big impact, since retailers usually can return unsold DVDs to the distributor months later.