Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Tiger Direct...bad news???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 03:36 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Im looking for a new TV monitor. I was recommended a great deal at Tiger Direct. It seems to good to be true...

Then I did some research on Tiger Direct's history and it seems they have a very bad reputation, bordering on negligent at the least and fraudulent at worst (based on consumer reports, reviews, etc.). Any stories or reasons I should think about it one second longer or just forget it?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-06, 07:47 AM
Cool New Member

I know them from getting computer parts there a few times (no international shipping from newegg!). My experience has been great so far. I also know from other people buying there and to me they seem like a good company. Their rating on pricegrabber and bizrate suggests they're pretty solid. Some have a better price on that TV but TigerDirect has free shipping...
Old 05-31-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
My personal experience with Tiger Direct has been that on small ticket items you generally get what you pay for.

Meaning that some cheaper items worked perfectly fine, while others were obviously cheap for a reason. And for that reason I would be hesitant to buy something like a TV from them, despite the attractive low prices.
Old 05-31-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know people that love Tiger Direct, and have always gotten great service from them. I haven't. All of my orders have taken a long time, like 3 months for an SVideo cable, for instance. And a couple of times I've had to call them and remind them that I had an order! Pay your money and take your chances, is what I saw. FWIW, I've never heard of them outright stiffing anyone. Just taking a long time and generally being incompetent.
Old 05-31-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I primarily use Newegg for my computer stuff, but I've ordered from Tigerdirect as well a few times and haven't had any issues. I never had to deal with customer service, so I'm not sure what that would be like.
Old 05-31-06, 02:27 PM
Banned

the problems I've seen are from rebates
Old 05-31-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never had problems, I have ordered at least half a dozen times. No problems with rebates either, in fact my first purchase was a combo deal for a barebones PC for $99 after MIR, I received all the rebates back. I think there were at least 5 on that order. My orders shipped from IL which is close so I usually had very quick ship times vs. Newegg which ships primarily from CA.
Old 05-31-06, 10:47 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never had any problems (probably two dozen orders with them over the past 5 or so years), but have never bought a big ticket item (nor anything with a rebate). There do seem to be a LOT of complaints about them, I guess I've gotten lucky. It appears that YMMV.
Old 06-01-06, 09:02 AM
MSA

I've bought small items from them before because of the low prices and no tax. (Never bought a big ticket item)
I never ever had a problem.
I doubt I will be using them now because they moved into my area as an Outlet Store.
Old 06-02-06, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tylenol PM
the problems I've seen are from rebates

Yup..can't begin to count then number of FW or SD threads where people reply "If only it wasn't a Tiger Direct rebate this would be a good deal". Have heard too many horror stories to ever trust my $$$ to them.
Old 06-04-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I've only bought a couple of computer parts from them, and that was before I found Newegg. I didn't have any trouble with Tiger Direct, but I didn't have any rebates or special needs.