Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Romanian Oscar Entry)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news tonight! Courtesy of DVDActive: it appears that Tartan will be releasing the Romanian Oscar entry The Death of Mr.Lazarescu (both UK and US dates announced). The US date is September 12th and even though the article does not mention the UK date I believe that it is a week earlier. With this said, I saw the film a few months ago...and I can not recommend it highly enough to you. Mark it down and make sure you see/get this film. An excellent production.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...lazarescu.html

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-30-06 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-31-06, 02:00 AM

yep, this got mentioned in amongst a whole host of tartan dates over at fangoria late last week : it seems this films had lots of positive press and certainly goes as a possible purchase on my list... got to look for a trailer though.
Old 05-31-06, 02:29 AM

just spotted, play has the UK down as october 23rd.
Old 05-31-06, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I can not recommend it highly enough to you. Mark it down and make sure you see/get this film. An excellent production.
Looking forward to the DVD - saw this at the NY Film Festival last fall and can only describe it as quiet desperation that overwhelms you.
Old 09-14-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts
just saw this and searched for any threads on the movie.

I am pissed. The cover totally misdescribes the movie. A black comedy? WTF? There is nothing remotely comedic about the movie. A movie that makes you chuckle at the absurdity a few times in over 2 hours does not qualify it as a comedy.

this movie was depressing and uncomfortable to watch. it appeared to be well done, but when you rent a movie to laugh at least a little, a 2:20 movie that's depressing as hell and not funny doesn't sit well.
Old 09-15-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
just saw this and searched for any threads on the movie.

I am pissed. The cover totally misdescribes the movie. A black comedy? WTF? There is nothing remotely comedic about the movie. A movie that makes you chuckle at the absurdity a few times in over 2 hours does not qualify it as a comedy.

this movie was depressing and uncomfortable to watch. it appeared to be well done, but when you rent a movie to laugh at least a little, a 2:20 movie that's depressing as hell and not funny doesn't sit well.

No sympathy for someone who rents a movie about death expecting to get some Caddyshack laughs.

Not all comedies are "laugh out loud" - amd this indeed is a black comedy in the sense that with a few tweeks it would be an out-and-out comedy, but as is, its ultimate tragedy wins out.
Old 09-15-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
No sympathy for someone who rents a movie about death expecting to get some Caddyshack laughs.
As a retort, let me offer Weekend at Bernies and You Shoot, I Shoot.

Not all comedies are "laugh out loud"
Yes, those are called bad comedies.

and this indeed is a black comedy in the sense that with a few tweeks it would be an out-and-out comedy, but as is, its ultimate tragedy wins out.
So it's okay to call it a comedy because with a few tweaks it would be a comedy? Maybe it should be called a musical too, because it would be one if they, you know, added a few songs to it.

I saw this film at a film festival earlier this year and thought it was a great drama with some moments in it so darkly absurd they ellicit a laugh. However, unlike the festival's program guide, and despite the DVD cover mentioning the word twice, I wouldn't classify this as a comedy, even a black one.
Old 09-15-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888

Not all comedies are "laugh out loud" - amd this indeed is a black comedy in the sense that with a few tweeks it would be an out-and-out comedy, but as is, its ultimate tragedy wins out.
I never expected Caddyshack. But comedies are, by definition, supposed to be funny. Whether that means laugh out loud like Caddyshack or not (and I never said I expected slapstick comedy ), they are supposed to be FUNNY, at least some of the time.

A movie that could be funny if they changed it around is not a comedy, it's a movie that might have been a comedy if they made it differently.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I saw this film at a film festival earlier this year and thought it was a great drama with some moments in it so darkly absurd they ellicit a laugh. However, unlike the festival's program guide, and despite the DVD cover mentioning the word twice, I wouldn't classify this as a comedy, even a black one.
Exactly.