Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Futurama Edited

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Futurama Edited

Last night's episode (10:30pm EST - Cartoon Network) was Bender Gets Made - and is one of the episodes where the professor exclaims "Sweet Zombie Jesus!"

well, last night, they "blanked out" the "zombie" part. like not bleeped it, just cut the audio for a second. WTF?!? did anyone else catch this?

Adult Swim sometimes tries to act all cutting edge, but I thought this was a pussy move on one of the best lines (IMHO) the professor has
Old 05-30-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by swankywanky
Last night's episode (10:30pm EST - Cartoon Network) was Bender Gets Made - and is one of the episodes where the professor exclaims "Sweet Zombie Jesus!"

well, last night, they "blanked out" the "zombie" part. like not bleeped it, just cut the audio for a second. WTF?!? did anyone else catch this?

Adult Swim sometimes tries to act all cutting edge, but I thought this was a pussy move on one of the best lines (IMHO) the professor has
They've had that episode edited since its debut on Cartoon Network, they've changed a bit since then:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=272648

Last edited by RichC2; 05-30-06 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
They've had that episode edited for years.
I'm not sure the original line ever reaired ... except for on DVD, of course. So yes, it's always been edited. I've watched it cycle through Adult Swim numerous times now and the line has never been intact. It's also edited on the other episode or two the Professor says it.

(and "Jesus" is blanked out, not "zombie")
Old 05-30-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah the line has always been edited.

I remember being taken back when i first heard the audio "drop out" for that line.

I have the show on DVD so its not really that huge of an issue.
Old 05-30-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Yeah the line has always been edited.
Well, it hasn't always been editied. Fox let it air unedited when it showed the episodes in question. It's only CN that edits out "Jesus."

I've heard this is because whomever owns or runs CN doesn't like the word "Jesus" being used in vain. This is apparently more offensive than any of the other material shown on CN Adult Swim. A similar situation occurred when CN was going to air the animated short film "Rejected" by Don Hertzfeld. CN wanted Don to edit out a sign showing a kid with the word bubble "Sweet Jesus" on it. Don refused, and CN never aired the short.
Old 05-30-06, 03:41 PM

A network with religious standards that isn't thumping you with them?! I don't believe you!