Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

English radio station bans James Blunt songs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060529...lebluntoffbeat

Mon May 29, 7:12 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - An English radio station said it has banned songs by British crooner James Blunt from its airwaves after listeners said they were fed up with hearing "You're Beautiful" and "Goodbye My Lover".

Chris Cotton, programme controller of local radio Essex FM in southern England, said: "We don't have anything against James Blunt and we're pleased he has been so successful, but we really need a break."

The music industry exerts a lot of pressure on radio stations to play certain artists' music over and over again, Cotton said.

"Often this can be out of step with the audience's tastes, which results in songs being overplayed," he said. "We're happy to stand up to this pressure and follow the strong message listeners have given us. We encourage other radio stations to take the same step."

Despite this minor setback, Blunt has enjoyed phenomenal success since his voice first emanated from radio stations across the world last year.

"You're Beautiful" topped the charts in 25 countries.

In March, the former army officer became the first British artist to reach the number one slot in the US Billboard chart in nine years.

His album, "Back To Bedlam" has sold more than seven million copies worldwide.
Old 05-30-06, 11:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
not only THAT song, but how about Daniel Powter's song 'Bad Day' (screams and heads for the hills).
Old 05-30-06, 11:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Already noted in his Wikipedia article.
Old 05-30-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had never heard of this guy until the person behind me at work would have his radio on just loud enough for me to hear the chorus of "You're Beautiful". I heard that song chorus every morning for weeks and began to curse the very name of "James Blunt".
Old 05-30-06, 11:38 AM

You've got to admire his skill at writing lyrics, though: "You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful"
Old 05-30-06, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
You've got to admire his skill at writing lyrics, though: "You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful / You're Beautiful"
and the occasional "it's true"...
Old 05-30-06, 11:46 AM

Please, Giles. Let's discuss one part of the song at a time! I don't want to be overwhelmed.
Old 05-30-06, 11:47 AM

Please, Giles. Let's discuss one part of the song at a time! I don't want to be overwhelmed.
Old 05-30-06, 11:50 AM
Banned

He's not bad. I actually like the album. And he made me a lot of money when I scalped the tix for nyc.
Old 05-30-06, 11:59 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Good for them. I wish some radio stations in the States would make this move.
Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Good for them. I wish some radio stations in the States would make this move.
but then radio programmers wouldn't know who or what band to play to death with.
Old 05-30-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Pretty funny...it only US radio had the balls (Z100 NYC i'm looking at you)

Good album though.
Old 05-30-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You think you guys have it bad for "Bad Day"? It was already a hit in Canada (Powter is Canadian) and was played ad naseum here. When it finally started to die down, it became a hit in the US, and was played even more than it was previously. His second single "Free Loop" seems to have been dropped in priority in favor of "Bad Day" again.
Old 05-31-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I must have missed that part of the song, as I've never made it past the god-awful lyric in that god-awful voice, "My life is brilliant..."

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sounds like Rod Stewart and Katherine Hepburn mated and produced this drip.
Old 05-31-06, 01:45 PM

I was tired of James Blunt the 14,000 time they played his video on vh1 or the 12,948,473 time they played it on the radio when I was working out. It's like the ugly, lonely people's anthem.....too saccharine for me.
Old 05-31-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
"We don't have anything against James Blunt and we're pleased he has been so successful, but we really need a break."

Old 05-31-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I never listen to the radio, so maybe I'm just not as (over)exposed to the guy as the rest of you, but I remember seeing him on SNL, and googling the lyrics provides:

My life is brilliant.
My life is brilliant
My love is pure.
I saw an angel.
Of that I'm sure.
She smiled at me on the subway.
She was with another man.
But I won't lose no sleep on that,
'Cause I've got a plan.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful. You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw your face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

Yes, she caught my eye,
As we walked on by.
She could see from my face that I was,
Fucking high,
And I don't think that I'll see her again,
But we shared a moment that will last 'till the end.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful. You're beautiful , it's true.
I saw your face in
a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.

La la la
la la la la la la

You're beautiful. You're beautiful. You're beautiful , it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.
Can anyone verify that these are the complete lyrics or not? I don't have the album. Maybe they've been edited to remove extra redundant lines or something?

If so, he says "you've beautiful" 9 times in total. 3 groupings of 3. One grouping in each chorus. But, choruses do tend to repeat themselves, otherwise they are called verses, right? Really doesn't seem that excessive to me, if correct.

I'm not gonna say he's some brilliant songwriter, (I've only heard the 2 songs he played on SNL) but if you don't like this guy/song, please never listen to "Rock and Roll all night" by Kiss, your head might explode from the repetition. Now that is a fucking annoying song.

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 05-31-06 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He's just sooooooo whiny.

This song plays all the time on the 'radio' at work...

as does "Bad Day", but that song doesn't bother me as much... Yet.
Old 06-01-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
if you don't like this guy/song, please never listen to "Rock and Roll all night" by Kiss, your head might explode from the repetition. Now that is a fucking annoying song.

Although JB still sucks.
Old 06-01-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
There are much better songs on the album than You're Beautiful.
Old 06-04-06, 12:10 AM

Not to continue the threadcrapping, but I agree with you guys about JB. I don't understand why everyone has a hard on for this guy. I think David Gray and at least ten other singer-songwriter guys are way better than Blunt. Why is every middle-aged woman infatuated with this guy? I remember first hearing the album before it came out over here in the U.S. and thinking it was okay, but now I can't stand it. ("You're Beautiful" anyway) It's puzzling because his music is exactly the type of music that I enjoy. There's just something about it that annoys the hell out of me.
Old 06-04-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah yes, James Blunt...founder of 'Vagina Rock'.

I hate that song so much.

= J