Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jamaican Ska Great Desmond Dekker Dies

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jamaican ska great Desmond Dekker dies

LONDON - Desmond Dekker, who brought the sound of Jamaican ska music to the world with songs such as "Israelites," has died, his manager said Friday. He was 64.

Dekker, who lived in England, collapsed from an apparent heart attack at his home on Thursday, manager Delroy Williams said.

"It is such a shock, I don't think I will ever get over this," Williams said.

Dekker's 1969 song "Israelites," a Top 10 single in both Britain and the United States, was the first international hit produced by Jamaica's vibrant music scene. With its haunting vocals and irresistible rhythm, it introduced the world to ska, a precursor to reggae.

"Desmond was the first legend, believe it or not," Williams said. "When he released 'Israelites' nobody had heard of Bob Marley — he paved the way for all of them."

Born Desmond Dacres in 1941, Dekker worked as a welder in Kingston before signing with Leslie Kong's Beverley's record label and releasing his first single, "Honor Your Father and Your Mother," in 1963. It was followed by Jamaican hits including "King of Ska."

Some of his most popular songs celebrated the culture of violent street toughs, or "rude boys" — "Rude Boy Train," "Rudie Got Soul" and "007 (Shanty Town)," which featured on the soundtrack of the seminal Jamaican film "The Harder They Come."

He also had a hit with "You Can Get It If You Really Want," written by his label-mate Jimmy Cliff.

The songs made Dekker a hero of British youth, and he moved to the country in the 1970s.

Dekker's career suffered after the 1971 death of his mentor Kong, and he was declared bankrupt in 1984. But he retained a strong British following until his death and performed regularly. Dekker had been due to play across Europe over the summer, including dates in Ireland, Switzerland and the Czech Republic.

Dekker, who was divorced, is survived by a son and a daughter. Funeral details were not immediately available.
Old 05-26-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I think of ska he is the first name that pops in my mind. Many of those early reggae songs can compete with the best of Motown especially with that extra little kick from the ska/reggae beat. Dekker covered a Jimmy Cliff song called "That's The Way Life Goes" that is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Simply a perfect, soulful tune.
Old 05-26-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy shit! i was gonna go see him on the 2nd here in the CR!

that sucks!

RIP, Desmond!
-ringding-
Old 05-26-06, 12:25 PM

Sad to hear.
Old 05-26-06, 05:10 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
"Israelites" was the first song I ever learned to play on the drum set.

R.I.P.
Old 05-26-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I first heard "Israelites" as part of the soundtrack for Drugstore Cowboy -- fantastic song.

R.I.P. Desmond.
Old 05-27-06, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first version I bought of "Israelites" was on the Stiff Records box set. Which seems odd to me. I need to go check and see if that was a rerecording.
Old 05-27-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-05...#desmonddekker

"Unbeknownst to most record buyers, Desmond himself had first been introduced to a mass audience in 1968 as the inspiration for the Beatles' horrible plundering of Jamaican music, "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da" ("Desmond works a barrow in the marketplace...")."

"In the late 1970s, Dekker signed with the punk label Stiff Records and recorded with Graham Parker's backing band, the Rumour, as well as Robert Palmer. In the 1990s, he worked with the Specials. Dekker continued to tour and record up until his death; his last performance was on May 11 at Leeds University, and he had concerts scheduled throughout the summer."
Old 05-31-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
007 (Shanty Town) is one of my favorite proto-reggae ska songs ever. For the uninitiated, Mr. Dekker has a deep, rich catalog that goes way beyond Israelites. If you're looking for a good compilation CD, here's one I'd recommend:

Sad to hear of his passing.