Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Stella: Season One coming in September 2006

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 03:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stella: Season One coming in September 2006

Paramount is releasing Stella: Season 1 on September according to davisdvd.com.
http://www.davisdvd.com/news/tv.html
Old 05-23-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
badass! I didn't think they'd release this any time soon. Maybe the State will finally get some attention
Old 05-23-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, Reno 911! hasn't helped bring the State as of yet... It is by far my current DVD Holy Grail.

Good about Stella too. I didn't get to catch as much of this as I wanted to on tv. The 2 or 3 I did see were great.
Old 05-24-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it interesting that they call it Stella: Season 1. I thought this show was done with. Usually, they would just say: Stella: The complete series.

I absolutely loved this show. "FUNK rock or funk ROCK?"
Old 05-24-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
I find it interesting that they call it Stella: Season 1. I thought this show was done with.
The story, as I hear it, is the Comedy Central won't officially cancel it, because they're still interested in doing it and trying to figure out how to market it better, but they won't bring it back any time soon, because it did so badly.

Not being cancelled means they can't try to sell the show to another network.

Comedy Central is funny, because for every good show, you get five "Mind of Mencia"s and a "Dog Bites Man".
Old 05-24-06, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
The story, as I hear it, is the Comedy Central won't officially cancel it, because they're still interested in doing it and trying to figure out how to market it better, but they won't bring it back any time soon, because it did so badly.

Not being cancelled means they can't try to sell the show to another network.

Comedy Central is funny, because for every good show, you get five "Mind of Mencia"s and a "Dog Bites Man".

Uh, Dog Bites Man looks like it could be good. I dunno how you can judge a show when it hasn't even aired yet.
Old 10-22-06, 09:59 AM

I have to bump this thread...STELLA is a horrible show. I bought it on DVD last week on the strength of people's chatter about it, and it's an abysmal, awful waste of time. My wife was irritated after three episodes.

Whu-? How-? Why th--? I wrote this review for Amazon, which nobody found "Helpful". Oh, if they only knew....

0 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
Terrible., October 20, 2006
Reviewer: Ethan D. Van Sciver (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Oh, I get it alright. The joke is, I thought the dvd would be funny, and it wasn't, and they got my thirty bucks! Ho ho ho!

The premise is this: Two guys you've never heard of and Michael Ian Black (the guy who says snarky things about pop culture on VH1) have seen and have enjoyed The Kids in the Hall. So they steal a few of the characters from the show, and convince Comedy Central to give them 13 episodes. And then MAGIC is supposed to happen.

The two guys you've never heard of are quite good at playing slow troglodytes, but Michael Ian Black, well, he just can't quite commit to the character he's stolen from Kids in the Hall, and in true Adam Sandler/Ben Affleck tradition, mugs and smirks his way through painfully unfunny dialogue.

The show tries to be many things. It wants to be Kids in the Hall, obviously, and it also wants to be Arrested Development. It'd like to be reminiscent of The Office, but it'll settle for Reno 911. It is none of these shows. If I was being kind, I'd call it performance art concocted to test the boundaries of a viewer's patience. "How long can this go on without being funny," one asks oneself. "Surely it will be funny next episode!"

Nothin' doin'.

If the popular kids in your high school got together and put on a "funny skit" for a talent show, it might be something like this. Without Michael Ian Black's involvement, it can only be better than STELLA.

And in answer to the question posed a moment ago, this show can go on 10 episodes without being funny. And then Comedy Central mercifully pulled the plug.
Old 10-22-06, 01:19 PM

No, the review is still not helpful here...

Stella is very clearly for a select taste, who find it very funny. Myself and the rest of my household love it. Different people, different opinions...
Old 10-22-06, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by j_sutton
No, the review is still not helpful here...

Stella is very clearly for a select taste, who find it very funny. Myself and the rest of my household love it. Different people, different opinions...
I disagree. My review would have been helpful to me, had I a time machine to skip ahead of the day I read all the glowing reviews that inspired me to purchase it, in order to read my own findings. I hope it helps other people like me, who hate bad television shows on dvd.

I ask you, what exactly is this "select taste" that people mention when prefacing their love of this awful, uncreative and embarrassing production? The mere fact that EVERYONE who rates is "5 STARS~! WOW!" has to first announce that they are of a "select taste" seems to make it more necessary than helpful that I tell 99% of the population how terrible it is. You yourself must agree.
Old 10-24-06, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should hope that would teach you not to listen to random strangers on the Internet. Try to at least find random strangers who you share a sense of humor with.

(To be fair, I stopped watching 'Stella' after a few episodes, but I caught a few of the later ones which actually were hilarious. I was already a fan of the gang, though.)

What characters are they from 'Kids in the Hall'? They're pretty much just playing themselves.
Old 10-25-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Some people like some things, other people don't. It isn't a big mystery.
Old 10-26-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chaza
Uh, Dog Bites Man looks like it could be good. I dunno how you can judge a show when it hasn't even aired yet.
I judged it by the quotes and jokes which they chose to use in the advertising (and the fact that the entire idea of the show is just combining two other hit shows, 'The Daily Show' and 'Reno 911'). Ever since great improvised comedy (ie Christopher Guest) came along, a lot of comedy has just gotten lazy because they say "Oh, they'll just make it up!" Yeah, that works when you've got brilliant people like Fred Willard or Eugene Levy, but when you have people who can't even write funny lines, and then you don't even given them written lines, you wind up with a lot of crap. To be fair, it's not crap the same way that most sitcoms are crap, but it is crap.

If you lived in NYC and rode the subway in the month or two leading up to that show's release (it's cancelled already, right?), you'd have seen several horrible jokes plastered all over the subway cars, and you would not have been able to delude yourself into thinking it might've wound up good.