Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

Buying magazine subscriptions on eBay?

Community
Search
Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't necessarily a hot deal per se, but I suppose it could be. Has anyone subscribed to magazines on eBay? How can these people offer subscriptions so cheaply? For example, I found a 1-year sub to The New Yorker for $6.42. Is this legitimate? All the sellers have near 100% satisfaction.
Old 05-20-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There have been a couple of threads on seller of mags on ebay. The search should turn them up. One I'm pretty sure was titled "entertainment weekly" with a focus on ebay sellers.
Old 05-20-06, 08:07 PM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts
I've ordered a number of subscriptions on eBay from various sellers. I've never had a problem.
Old 05-21-06, 06:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
I've been using ebay for subscriptions for years, and have never had a problem.

Except for the free ones, ebay is almost always the cheapest price on any magazine.
Old 05-21-06, 08:07 AM
Defunct Account

Yeah, I've gotten subs from e-bay too w/o a problem.
Old 05-21-06, 08:33 AM

Same here, actually just bought one last night.

Men's Health 3 year sub - $8.99
Old 05-21-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cool, I will check this out!
Old 05-21-06, 12:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Many ordered online thru ebay never a problem, a friend of ours works in publishing and said the bulk of the money magazines make is not really in subscriptions it is in advertising space within their magazine. They sell bulk numbers of subscriptions to clearninghouses cheap to move to customers (thru promos and deals like the ebay ads we see) etc to build up the subscriber totals.

If a magazine has 2 million subscribers vs 750,000 they can charge more for advertising space. We all make out good tho, we get our mags cheap, the magazine sells more subscriptions and the advertisers are happier reaching more eyes seeing their ads.

Most of the time you can find deals so cheap (or free) at one point I had over 20 mags a month coming in, my mailman hated me hehe

I have let a few taper down so now its more like 10 a month these days.

Most recently thru ebay i got

3 yrs details (30 issues) $4
4 yrs penthouse (48 issues) $5
2 yrs ok mag (102 issues) $6 (like star or people)
3 yrs disney adventures $3 (30 issues)

We also give our nephews and nieces mag subscriptions for gifts, they LOVE getting disney or nick jr mags every month in the mail.

If I can't say it a mod can delete but this seller (not me not even anyone i know other than ordering thru them) has been great by us (MULTIPLE orders never a problem) subscriptions4less is the seller name on ebay that we use over and over...

Bill

Last edited by StevePerryFan; 05-21-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,547 Posts
I've always wondered... do the ebay sellers then sell your address to other marketing firms to get more money? I think (though I'm not sure) that some of the free mag subscription offers sell your email and physical addresses...
Old 05-22-06, 05:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've always wondered... do the ebay sellers then sell your address to other marketing firms to get more money? I think (though I'm not sure) that some of the free mag subscription offers sell your email and physical addresses...

That is a good question as for the ebay mag sellers I doubt it, at least with my experience so far...

The online freebie stuff with email connections - yeah I do get junk mail but its to a junk acct that I scan quickly once a month or so but in physical mail I haven't noticed any junk mail and I have been getting mags from ebay and online freebies for years.

Actually beyond the local missing persons/coupon books and local coupon sheet type things I can't even remember the last real JUNK mail that came to the house here and none have come addressed to BILLY (the name i use on all freebie offers and ebay mags etc).

I also register my online deals, ebay mags etc with the name BILLY vs Bill or William, so if I get an email or piece of mail addressed to BILLY I know (cuz I never use Billy) it came from an online free offer or a magazine type offer.

I have seen emails that say BILLY (but not a ton and those could be from the online freebies and mags I have done in the past), but cant honestly recall ever getting a piece of home mail addressed to Billy yet even if i did it just gets filed in the big round file...

Bill

Last edited by StevePerryFan; 05-22-06 at 05:37 PM.