Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can a PAL disc zone 0 play in LA?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a PAL disc Zone 0 play in LA?????????

Help! Not a techie but am looking for an answer.[/B]

Can a PAL disc play in LA? Have sent someone in the UK some of my work. He is now passing on to someone in LA - don't want to bug him by sending anything unnecessarily so would like to know what the possibility is of a PAL disc working at the DreamWorks offices in LA?????

THANK YOU!
Old 05-19-06, 06:53 PM

HELP!!!

What is the probability it can?

Thanks
Old 05-19-06, 07:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
They would have to have a player with PAL->NTSC conversion or be able to watch on a computer. No conversion needed on the computer.
Old 05-19-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably not. You'll need a player that can convert the PAL signal to NTSC. Then, and only then, can you watch it in LA or Seattle or Chicago.
Old 05-19-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a 40 dollar DVD player that plays PAL. What sort of conversion is necessary, X? Won't it just potentially look a little choppy, or the like?
Old 05-19-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
It'll work in your computer. Computer dvd drives are PAL/NTSC neutral.
Old 05-19-06, 07:34 PM
X
Administrator

I have a $15 player that plays PAL. It has a PAL->NTSC converter so it can play PAL on NTSC TVs. If it doesn't do the conversion PAL won't work on an NTSC set. It will at best be B&W and probably roll or just show some lines.
Old 05-19-06, 07:39 PM
X
Administrator

Please post the same thread in only one forum instead of the three you did.
Old 05-19-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
The answer to this is YES all the way. I know this because i used to live in the UK and when i moved away i took my DVD collection with me. My Region 0 copy of The Dead Zone movie that i picked up from HMV works fine both on a UK Pal TV and a US NTSC TV. If only more movies could be released in Region 0.

Hope it helps.

By the way, what movie was it out of interest.
Old 05-19-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Actually looking at your thread again...if this is a disc that you have created yourself then maybe there will be problems. If the disc is an official release then i don't think you will ahve a problem...but one you have created might. Be interesting to find out.
Old 05-19-06, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
The answer to this is YES all the way. I know this because i used to live in the UK and when i moved away i took my DVD collection with me. My Region 0 copy of The Dead Zone movie that i picked up from HMV works fine both on a UK Pal TV and a US NTSC TV. If only more movies could be released in Region 0.
As previously said, this will only work in a player that converts PAL-NTSC. Many of the middle-end players do not support this. Many of the low-end players do. Also, as said before, playing them on a PC will always work.

There are some TV's out there that will convert for you (I hear) but I've never seen one.
Old 05-19-06, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
There are some TV's out there that will convert for you (I hear) but I've never seen one.
I believe those are primarily concentrated in PAL regions, where their tvs can play both PAL and NTSC signals. I don't think many (I don't know of any) that play PAL on a US set.
Old 05-20-06, 02:03 AM

Even if the tv will display a PAL image, the player still has to be able to play it. A player with pal to ntsc conversion or a computer is the way to go.
Old 05-20-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah region 0 Pal is meaningless unless your dvd player has Pal-NTSC conversion. A standard region 1 NTSC player will not play it at all, it will cough it out.
Old 05-20-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
LA is barred from playing PAL discs... It should work fine in San Francisco, however...

Old 05-23-06, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by AberAber
I believe those are primarily concentrated in PAL regions, where their tvs can play both PAL and NTSC signals. I don't think many (I don't know of any) that play PAL on a US set.
I live in London, R2 PAL region, and pretty much every TV you buy here, and certainly all the high end machines, play both PAL and NTSC in native modes without any need for conversion.

As all DVD sellers (even the large high street chains) are happy to sell region free machines, or provide easy mechanisms to get machines converted to region free, it makes it very convienient as I can buy DVDs worldwide without worrying about region or signal type.