TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

That 70s Show *Series Finale* 5/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 11:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
That 70s Show *Series Finale* 5/18

I quit watching a few episodes into the season just becasue how bad it was but I decided to tune in for the finale.

Red and Kitty were again the best part of the episode. Red showing the house was great.

I just can't buy Fez and Jackie as a couple.

Glad they mentioned Lori.

Good to see Topher back and I liked how they finished it off, with a circle and it turning 1980.

Last edited by MrX; 05-19-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
It was kinda funny that they kept Topher off the retrospective last week in order to keep his return a surprise, only to have his character not add much to the finale other than keeping the show same old same old.

For a show that was supposed to be a finale, I dunno, the writers didn't make it feel like an end, more like this was a season finale and that the story lines. Instead of resolution, they just brought up more questions. The Malcolm In The Middle finale was much better in bringing the show to a natural conclusion, whereas 70's just seemed to say "Hey, the 70's are over, so so is the show."
Old 05-19-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
They really should've ended it last year when Topher left, this whole season (what little I saw of it) was pretty pointless. Finale was decent but nothing special, Topher's "surprise" return was the least shocking surprise I've ever seen, really. I'm so sick of Jackie and Fez that I was hoping they'd get hit by a bus at the end, oh well...
Old 05-19-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
After watching the mediocre season, the finale was actually pretty good. It's amazing how much better it felt just having Eric and Kelso there. The rest of the season the acting seemed like it was going through the motions. Hyde especially seemed to just completely wing every line expecting a laugh for no effort and terrible writing.

However it was nice to see them back, and I'm glad the show ended on a decent note, even if the entire season leading up to the point was horrendous.
Old 05-19-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Eric's return was pretty dang anti-climactic. In terms of DVD collecting, which season do you think would be the best end? I'm certainly not getting all of 'em. But I'm leaning towards the first five. After that I think it started going downhill, what with Lori played by a different actress and all...
Old 05-19-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't watched the show consistently since the end of the fifth season (graduation), but I wanted to tune into the finale. The show (the first four/five seasons at least) holds a special place in my heart as it started when I was 14 years old and I somewhat related to a lot of the situations the teens faced.

As usual, Debra Jo Rupp was the best thing about this episode (as she was with the sparse episodes I have seen since the beginning of the sixth season). Kitty showing the "potential buyers" the house actually got me just a little. Not sure if it was because of my deep love for what the show used to be (or that she is just a knockout actress). I'll say it's a little of both.

The return of Eric was sort of an 'eh' moment for me. Maybe I would have been a little more into it had I been watching the show over the past two 1/2 seasons.

And Anubis, the first four seasons are ridiculously funny! The fifth was good, but not as much as the first four. I know I shouldn't make this statement as I haven't seen the last three seasons in full - but stay away from the rest!

Last edited by conscience; 05-19-06 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
And Anubis, the first four seasons are ridiculously funny! The fifth was good, but not as much as the first four. I know I shouldn't make this statement as I haven't seen the last three seasons in full - but stay away from the rest!
Yeah, when they replaced the Lori actress, I knew I was done. I would tune in a little bit throughout the last couple of seasons, but everything just felt so forced and crappy. And Fez and Jackie? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't work. I could go on and on about how bad this show got, but I'll try and forget about it and just focus on how good it was at one point in time.
Old 05-19-06, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Up through the fifth season is pure gold for me, but I did enjoy the sixth enough to make a purchase I think. After that, you couldn't pay me enough to sit through another episode.

Michael
Old 05-19-06, 04:20 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
I guess I'm the only one surprised by Topher's return. After last week's retrospective show, I figured he wouldn't be there. The show really ended when he left. It was good to see him back, even if it was just for 2-3 minutes.

I'm really glad Topher and Ashton came back for the finale.
Old 05-19-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it ended pretty well. I have not watched any of this season except the finale and last week's episode. I watched about half of last season.

Whatever happened to Lori? As I am watching the first four seasons on DVD, they just kind of phased her out without an explanation.
Old 05-19-06, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As soon as Donna said that she needed to go out for some air, I knew Eric was going to show up out there.
Old 05-19-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Whatever happened to Lori? As I am watching the first four seasons on DVD, they just kind of phased her out without an explanation.
She had serious drug problems and just stopped going into work. She cleaned up briefly and married Fez on the show. She was then replaced by another actress and the official story is that her character is stripping in Canada where bottomless stripping is allowed.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 05-19-06 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
As soon as Donna said that she needed to go out for some air, I knew Eric was going to show up out there.
DING !! Bell went off for me as well.

Also they said Eric missed his flight. By bringing that up, it implied that Eric would show up. Had they used this as an excuse not to show Eric, that would have come off extremely lame (almost did). Thats when I suspected he would show up and I knew for sure when Donna went outside.
Old 05-19-06, 08:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't watched this show in years and I missed the series finale, so can I ask a few questions?
From what I've read, Jackie and Fez end up together? How'd that happen?
Eric came back. Did he end up with Donna? I heard Eric left to go to South Africa for something (teaching?).
Where do Kelso and Hyde end up?
Why are Red and Kitty selling the house? Where are they going?
Old 05-19-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by boogieman03
I haven't watched this show in years and I missed the series finale, so can I ask a few questions?
From what I've read, Jackie and Fez end up together? How'd that happen?
Eric came back. Did he end up with Donna? I heard Eric left to go to South Africa for something (teaching?).
Where do Kelso and Hyde end up?
Why are Red and Kitty selling the house? Where are they going?
Jackie thinks about her guy situation and makes up a "perfect guy" list. Then she remakes it to be a little more realistic, and as she's telling Donna and Fez about her list Fez's new girlfriend chimes in saying how Fez is everything on the list. Donna teases Jackie, but she has a dream and realizes it's true. A turndown here, and turndown there, and in the season finale they came together.

Eric comes back in the last 2-3 minutes of the finale from teaching in Africa, tells Donna he made a mistake, and that he thought about her everyday. She tells him things are different now, but then she kisses him. Nothing really conclusive either way.

Kelso went off before the finale to work at the playboy club or something like that and is raising his son. He came back for the finale just to spend New Year's with his friends.

Hyde was given the record store as a gift from his dad.

Red and Kitty were selling because they were going to move to Florida where Red would open a bait shop with Bob. They were very excited about the idea until it came time to sell the house. Neither of them seemed excited to do so while showing the house to prospective buyers. Finally Kitty fesses up that she really doesn't want to move, and that along with Red finally getting Packers season tickets changes their mind.
Old 05-19-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Kelso went off before the finale to work at the playboy club or something like that and is raising his son. He came back for the finale just to spend New Year's with his friends.
Daughter, not son, but that's really a pointless detail anyways.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Red and Kitty were selling because they were going to move to Florida where Red would open a bait shop with Bob. They were very excited about the idea until it came time to sell the house. Neither of them seemed excited to do so while showing the house to prospective buyers. Finally Kitty fesses up that she really doesn't want to move, and that along with Red finally getting Packers season tickets changes their mind.
Just a note about the Packers tickets....when they thought they were leaving, Red gave Hyde a check that equaled all the money he paid Red in rent over the years living there, so he could use the money to get his own place. Hyde then turned around and used the money to get Red the season tickets.
Old 05-19-06, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ya'll.
Old 05-19-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hell, if i had packers season tickets, i might live in a cardboard box.
Old 05-19-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

whats a series fianle?
Old 05-19-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
hell, if i had packers season tickets, i might live in a cardboard box.
As someone who has been on the 75,000 person list (along with the wife and kids) for about 15 years, and is still facing at least another 15 to 20 year wait, I could completely sympathize with Red's dilemma. However, it was funny to think about how gawd-awful the Packers were going to be for the next 12 seasons after he got his tickets. Hope Red lived to see Holmgren/White/Favre come to town. Maybe when he kicks it I'll get his seats!

I also think the Jackie/Fez relationship was a blasphemy. But all in all, it was a satisfactory if not spectacular way to wrap the series.
Old 05-19-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive always just been a casual fan of the show and have mainly watched it thru syndication but i tuned in for the finale which wasnt bad although i didnt really know what had been going on with the characters so this thread was helpful
Old 05-19-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it was great seeing Topher back, just not the same without him.
Old 05-19-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit of a bittersweet end to the show. It seemed pretty appropriate.

Since when did Fez start losing his accent?
Old 05-19-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tofu
A bit of a bittersweet end to the show. It seemed pretty appropriate.

Since when did Fez start losing his accent?
Several seasons ago. And it has really been bugging me.
Old 05-19-06, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Several seasons ago. And it has really been bugging me.
Well I know that happens in real life when someone from another country moves here and hangs out with American kids 24/7. So I don't think it's that unrealistic since the show began in 1976 and ended at the beginning of 1980.

Besides Wilmer V. probably doesn't want to get type-cast as only able to play foreigners.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.