Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Korean DVD players??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Korean DVD players??

Old 05-16-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korean DVD players??

Well, I'm almost done with my current assignment, and I've finally gotten word that my requests to be assigned to Korea have come through. That said, early as it is, I feel like asking: should I plan on taking my Philips 720 all-region player with me when I go or will I not have any issues finding a good, high-quality all region player there for a decent price?
Old 10-01-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Well, I've got to decide pretty soon on whether or not to pack my Philips for Korea. Does anyone here have any previous experience buying DVD hardware in Korea?

Would I be able to find the same Philips/Toshiba region-free capable models there at comparable prices (since Amazon doesn't ship electronics overseas) or are domestically produced players generally region-free/hackable?

Any information is greatly appreciated ASAP.
Old 10-01-06, 12:26 PM

If you are given the allowance for shipping it, I would take it with you. Having said that, however, you might be able to find all region players in Seoul, but I am not sure. The one thing you will need perhaps is a transformer since South Korea runs on 220 V. They should have transformers like that in Seoul, but you can always get one here or in Tokyo if you stop by there.
Old 10-07-06, 12:36 PM

Try googling for teaching english abroad sites (if you haven't already). These usually have forums with tons of helpful tips about living abroad in asia (including korea), what to take and what's available in terms of electronics, phone/cable services... etc. Just be aware that some of the forums may have a negative cast on living experiences (mostly due to narrow mindedness or inability to communicate...). I was browsing the forums for fun and I know I came across a question like yours but I can't remember which site since I was just randomly reading for fun...