Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know if R2 Northern Exposure sets have original music?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-13-06, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that the R2 Quantum Leap sets have the original music (http://www.quantumleap-alsplace.com/...asonthree.htm), I was wondering if anyone has or knows about the R2 Northern Exposure season sets. The first three seasons are available in R2, with the fourth coming at the end of July. The first season is an old release, originally released in 2001, but that one doesn't matter to me since the R1 release still has the original music. But if anyone could shed some light about seasons 2 & 3, I and many others would appreciate the info.
Old 05-15-06, 03:29 AM

I only own seasons 1 & 2 so can't comment on seasons 3+, but I know that the R2 (UK) release of season two has had some of its music replaced -- there's even a disclaimer on the packaging pointing this out, something like "music may differ from televised episodes".
I have read that on the R1 release of season 2, for the parts that contain replaced music you can find the original music by switching across to the Spanish audio track.

Dazza.
Old 05-15-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been wondering the very same thing myself - this would almost make go multiregional if I could get the show intact in another region.

Too bad that it sounds like at least some of the music is replaced in the R2 sets. I wonder if it's as extensive a butcher job as we got here in R1? Is Universal also doing the R2 releases?

The music replacement on the season 4 set has been the worst of all that I have seen so far. I would really like to get a better version of it, if one exists out there.
Old 05-16-06, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to this DVD Times comparison, it seems that the R2 soundtrack is the same as the R1. "There's very little to differentiate between the soundtracks" which is in the review itself. Also, a comment on the article: "...I was unsure how the seasons would compare across regions (as well as the dreaded music replacement that there's no way around)."

That's a pity. I'm currently having a love/hate relationship with my sets, now that I have a chance to view them. And the original music being on the Spanish soundtrack is true, making the situation all the more frustrating.
Old 05-16-06, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Is Universal also doing the R2 releases?
Yes.

Dazza.
Old 05-17-06, 08:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RKillgore
And the original music being on the Spanish soundtrack is true,
??? Anyone care to explain that one? How can they afford to have the original music on the Spanish soundtrack? I thought the point was they couldn't afford the music at all!
Old 05-18-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
??? Anyone care to explain that one? How can they afford to have the original music on the Spanish soundtrack? I thought the point was they couldn't afford the music at all!
I think the likelihood is that nobody was paying attention to the Spanish dub, which was prepared for Spanish TV broadcast years ago.