Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Do You Watch ANY Comedies With A Laugh Track?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I'm curious, because most of the popular comedies posted on this thread are about shows without a laugh track (My Name Is Earl, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development, The Simpsons, etc). I was thinking about it and frankly since the two biggies left NBC a couple of years ago (Friends and Fraiser), I don't think I've watched a single episode of a comedy with a laugh track. It's not that I have a specific problem with them, just one of those things where the shows I enjoy just don't have one I guess. Well, that and Will & Grace going right down the drain.

So what's your experience?
Old 05-13-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I noticed the same thing in my viewing habits when trying to watch something like Two & a Half men or Teachers or anything. I'm laugh track free:

Scrubs
My Name is Earl
the Office
Arrested Development

Those are the only regular comedies I watch.

And even watching MASH on DVD is infinately better sans laugh track, despite not being how it originally aired.
Old 05-13-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When the comedy is bad, then you really notice the laugh track.

I tried to watch the episode before the series finale of That 70's Show on Thursday.

It was a horrible horrible show, but that didn't stop the laugh track.
Old 05-13-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I didnt even notice that my 3 favorite shows on tv now (The Office, My Name is Earl, and Scrubs) are laughtrack-free.

I guess my 4th fav. still has a laughtrack (SNL) because it can't be possible that the live audience is actually laughing at this season's drivel.
Old 05-13-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting point... All the shows I look forward to watching don't have a laugh track
Old 05-13-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayre
When the comedy is bad, then you really notice the laugh track.

Yep.

I don't have a problem with a laughtrack. If the show is funny, you wont really notice it.
Old 05-13-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... I don't go out of my way to avoid sitcoms with laugh tracks, but I guess there's a mix between the two for my viewing habits:

How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
The New Adventures of Christine
House (come on, no one would watch if it wasn't so damn funny)
Scrubs
Teachers (unless it's been dumped by now)
Sons and Daughters (so-so, but hitting its stride 10 episodes in)
Freddie
Everybody Hates Chris
Will and Grace
My Name Is Earl
The Office
The Loop
Old 05-13-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would be watching one now if a certain comedian hadn't bailed out of his show after signing a $50 million contract.
Old 05-13-06, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would be watching one now if a certain comedian hadn't bailed out of his show after signing a $50 million contract.
Well, I don't think a live sketch comedy show really counts as a "laugh track". Yeah, it's a subtle distinction, but I was referring to the laugh track in the background of sitcoms and the like. You can't tell jokes in front of an live audience and not have them laugh. Or if you do, you won't be on the air very long...
Old 05-13-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only one I watch with a laugh track is How I Met Your Mother.

I usually avoid laugh traack/conventional sitcoms. I think this show would be a lot better if it was a single-camera, no -laugh track show, but it is not bad.
Old 05-13-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

king of queens and yes dear...though this season has been pretty weak for both of them.
Old 05-13-06, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
king of queens and yes dear...though this season has been pretty weak for both of them.
Yes Dear once had a strong season?
Old 05-13-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Decker
Well, I don't think a live sketch comedy show really counts as a "laugh track". Yeah, it's a subtle distinction, but I was referring to the laugh track in the background of sitcoms and the like. You can't tell jokes in front of an live audience and not have them laugh. Or if you do, you won't be on the air very long...
Most of Chappelle's Show is taped segments, thus laugh track. The only "live" aspect of the show is when Chappelle is on stage talking, which is around 10% of the show.
Old 05-13-06, 12:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Just the first 3 Monday Night CBS comedies
Old 05-13-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think I started a thread on this a couple of years ago because it drives me insane. The only sitcom I can handle with a laugh track is Seinfeld, but I honestly do avoid shows that have them. It's like they can't trust the audience to make up their own minds.
Old 05-13-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How I met Your Mother is the only one for me.
Old 05-13-06, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes Dear once had a strong season?
for cheap stupid laughs i like it. it was never a great show by any means though. i thought the show was decent for what it was up untill this season.
Old 05-13-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
A lot of people on this thread are confusing the phrase "laugh track" with shows recorded in front of a live studio audience, original poster included. A "laugh track" specifically refers to laughter that is added to a show that wasn't recorded in front of an audience. For example, "Seinfeld" and "Fraiser" were recorded in front of a live studio audience, thus the laughter heard on those shows isn't from a "laugh track," but the spontaneous response from the audience in the studio watching the show being recorded.

http://www.answers.com/laugh+track&r=67
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track
http://www.tvparty.com/laugh.html

For the record, I don't currently watch any comedies with a laugh track. I do watch a few shows with audience laughter though, namely The Daily Show and Colbert Report.
Old 05-13-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
The only one I watch with a laugh track is How I Met Your Mother.

I usually avoid laugh traack/conventional sitcoms. I think this show would be a lot better if it was a single-camera, no -laugh track show, but it is not bad.
Yep, I agree. How I Met Your Mother is the only one that I can think of that I watch, and I don't think I had watched any show with a laugh track in a few years. By and large, I just find laugh tracks to be distracting, and depending on the show, they can be a little insulting. Despite how great it is, I even find it a little difficult to watch Sports Night before they ditched the laugh track.
Old 05-13-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
A lot of people on this thread are confusing the phrase "laugh track" with shows recorded in front of a live studio audience, original poster included. A "laugh track" specifically refers to laughter that is added to a show that wasn't recorded in front of an audience. For example, "Seinfeld" and "Fraiser" were recorded in front of a live studio audience, thus the laughter heard on those shows isn't from a "laugh track," but the spontaneous response from the audience in the studio watching the show being recorded.

http://www.answers.com/laugh+track&r=67
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track
http://www.tvparty.com/laugh.html

For the record, I don't currently watch any comedies with a laugh track. I do watch a few shows with audience laughter though, namely The Daily Show and Colbert Report.
Yeah but there really isnt a difference. Whenever you watch a show like the daily show or snl or leno the audience has this fake canned laugh. Dont they pay people to sit in the audience and laugh at all their jokes now? Or at least hold signs that say laugh, booo, or clap?
Old 05-13-06, 07:59 PM

Not me. I watch The Office, My Name Is Earl, Arrested Development(R.I.P.), and Curb Your Enthusiasm. No laugh tracks, but plenty of laughs.
Old 05-13-06, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
I think it's just that they are gone.

Two of my favorites have laugh tracks, but they don't distract from the show (don't really add either)

M*A*S*H
Married With Children
Old 05-13-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
Yeah but there really isnt a difference. Whenever you watch a show like the daily show or snl or leno the audience has this fake canned laugh. Dont they pay people to sit in the audience and laugh at all their jokes now? Or at least hold signs that say laugh, booo, or clap?
No and no. I've been in the audience twice for the Daily Show, and wasn't paid to attend. Tickets are usually free for TV shows, but can still sell out months in advance. The people in the audience want to be in the audience because they are fans of the show.

Also, there weren't any signs held up, although after commercial breaks the crew would prompt for applause to start back up. Otherwise there were no prompts for any response, which is why some jokes genuinely bomb.

There usually is a comic who does a "warmup" for the audience, so that they are in a mood to be entertained. And audiences know what is expected of them, so this may play a part in why the responses seem "canned." However, I think the similarity between real audience laughter and a laugh track is due to the skill and ingenuity of today's laugh tracks. They're sounding closer and closer to the real thing, which ironically makes some people mistake the real thing as fake.
Old 05-13-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So no and no for leno, snl, and daily show or just daily show? Have you seen any of these shows recently? Every joke, good or bad gets laughs. Unless the audience is retarded or high I doubt those are genuine laughs.
Old 05-13-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
just How I met Your Mother for me. I tried Teachers, but it just wasn't funny.

in HIMYM, i sometimes don't notice the laugh track... but damn i wish it were gone. it's better to see the characters react to the jokes, like normal friends would.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.