Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 2nd X-FILES Feature Film: D.O.A. or Will It Happen?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 08:58 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, anyone got any updates or credible rumors regarding this film? The TV show ended with one whopper of a pending doomsday so are we ever going to blessed with a final resolution, or will THE X-FILES go down in history with TWIN PEAKS as a masterful '90s TV show that ends forever and frustratingly on a cliffhanger?
Old 05-12-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Last I heard, the second movie was not to follow after the series finale but rather it was to take place sometime before Doggett and Reyes were added to the cast of characters. It was also to be a standalone feature (no aliens, bees, black oil, etc.) and was to focuse on a supernatural case. But that was ages ago when that was being discussed. Who knows what (if anything) they'll do now.
Old 05-12-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G1illian is off in London doing 'real' acting and Duchovny's trying to direct. I don't see this happening any time soon.

D
Old 05-12-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the time has passed for another movie.
Old 05-12-06, 09:40 PM

Is there really that much interest for another one?

I mean I used to be a big fan and all, but gawd knows I'm sick of hearing the names "Mulder" and "Scully" now.
Old 05-12-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SeekOnce
I mean I used to be a big fan and all, but gawd knows I'm sick of hearing the names "Mulder" and "Scully" now.
I haven't heard the names in about 4 years now.
Old 05-13-06, 07:35 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by SeekOnce
Is there really that much interest for another one?

Yeah, who the hell even talks about THE X-FILES publicly any more? For such a monster hit, it seems to have dropped entirely off the pop culture radar since its cancellation...

Having said that, if a teaser trailer for a second film were to begin the rounds, I'm sure millions of fans and used-to-be fans would come unglued...

Fingers crossed this series is given better justice than to just end without real resolution...
Old 05-13-06, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Fingers crossed this series is given better justice than to just end without real resolution...
Oh, I don't know .... a "real resolution" would be so out of keeping with what we experienced those nine years.
Old 05-13-06, 09:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
i never had interest or watched any full episode in the series, but really enjoyed the 1st feature. i'd be up for another with mostly the same principles.
Old 05-13-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i hope
Old 05-13-06, 12:13 PM

The time may have passed for this movie to be made, but I don't care. If they actually made it, I would be first in line for a ticket. I get faint in the head just thinking about them making this movie. I still love The X Files like crazy.
Old 05-13-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the show even play in syndication anymore?
Old 05-13-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clemente
Does the show even play in syndication anymore?
I channel-surf past it on Sci-Fi and I think one of the local channels airs it on Friday or Saturday night well past midnight.
Old 05-14-06, 12:10 AM

Old 05-14-06, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by onebyone
If they actually made it, I would be first in line for a ticket.
Not unless you can get past me.
Old 05-14-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, who the hell even talks about THE X-FILES publicly any more? For such a monster hit, it seems to have dropped entirely off the pop culture radar since its cancellation...
It's a monster hit in the same way Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Dr. Who are monster hits. They're very well regarded among a pretty big group of loyal fans but scarcely more than acknowledged outside of that circle.
Old 05-14-06, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
It's a monster hit in the same way Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Dr. Who are monster hits. They're very well regarded among a pretty big group of loyal fans but scarcely more than acknowledged outside of that circle.
In its heyday, however, I would argue that THE X-FILES broke out of niche appreciation and really became embraced by the greater TV watching populace, unlike the other shows you mentioned (well, I don't count DR. WHO; as a British show, it has its own dynamic with the British public). That makes its disappearance from public consideration these days at least a little more perplexing...
Old 05-15-06, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I though the first movie was pretty cool. The series had it's hits and misses, though. I would certainly see a second movie, but I'm not really hoping it happens.
Old 05-17-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
In its heyday, however, I would argue that THE X-FILES broke out of niche appreciation and really became embraced by the greater TV watching populace, unlike the other shows you mentioned (well, I don't count DR. WHO; as a British show, it has its own dynamic with the British public). That makes its disappearance from public consideration these days at least a little more perplexing...
In its heyday, The X-File had broken through and was very popular, and that was also when the 1st movie was made. But by the final season, the show had seriously derailed - both in the quality of its writing and in overall public interest - and instead of ending on a high, the show ended on a low. I think that crash-and-burn ending pretty much killed most interest, outside of diehard fans, in a 2nd movie.
Old 05-17-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
In its heyday, The X-File had broken through and was very popular, and that was also when the 1st movie was made..
Yes, X-Files was in its time, more popular than Buffy ever was.
Old 05-17-06, 10:42 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd love to see another X-Files feature film. The series has been one of my favourites for years, and I liked, "Fight the Future." I'd be there opening night for a sequel.
Old 05-17-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's a link to the show's ratings...

http://x-files.host.sk/nielsens.php

It is pretty good for any show, let alone Sci-fi. Certainly way larger than Buffy or Babylon 5, though that should be obvious by just being on Fox. Of course, it does beg the question what should the typical "public consideration" for a show like this be? I mean plenty of decently rated shows from the 1990s are forgotten these days.
Old 05-17-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The longer they wait the harder it will be to market a movie of a series long since gone. Although, that didn't seem to hurt the Star Trek movies.
Old 05-18-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Yes, X-Files was in its time, more popular than Buffy ever was.
I can't believe someone would even compare the two. X-Files was huge.
Old 05-18-06, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go see a 2nd X-Files movie, but it's not keeping me up at night by any means.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.