Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

trying to sell a TV (rant)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 05-12-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So a few months ago, I purchased a DLP to replace my 55 inch Mits HDTV. I bought the DLP because I rearranged my system for better audio performance and no longer had room for the Mits. The TV retails for $1899 and it still have 2 years left on the transferrable extended warranty.

I've been trying to sell it on Craigslist for the past few weeks and have been getting nothing but morons or lowball offers! I had some idiot offer me $150 for it. Several people have offered $600. My asking price is, IMO, a very fair $799. I finally told one guy I'd let it go for $700 just to get rid of it. He wrote me back and said that was too much because "it's only hd ready, not hd build-in, which means i need to spend more to get hd pictures, and the tv's in the furture are all gonna to be hd,so ..."

geez! Is my less-than 2 year old HDTV really worthless? I am doing something wrong? Are people on Craigslist just cheap?

sorry for the rant!!
Old 05-12-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the feeling. I have a Sony 40XBR700 (the 40" Sony direct view) that I'd like to unload before we move, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the hit on what I paid for the damn thing. The stand to hold it probably cost more than I'd get at this point, and I only bought it a few years ago.
Old 05-12-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I know the feeling. I have a Sony 40XBR700 (the 40" Sony direct view) that I'd like to unload before we move, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the hit on what I paid for the damn thing. The stand to hold it probably cost more than I'd get at this point, and I only bought it a few years ago.

That sucks. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the types of emails I get. Maybe I'm spoiled by Audiogon, but sending an email that says nothing but "600?" is not the way to open negotiations!
Old 05-13-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Videogon?
Old 05-13-06, 01:42 AM
Political Exile

I'd take the 600 bucks and RUN. Nothing depreciates as fast as old electronics technology. No built in hdtv tuner is old school. I don't even think they can sell any without em anymore. My two year old computer is worth about a third of what I bought it for also. Television tech is upgrading so quickly these days that state of the art stuff can be dated in 2 years. Its not like the old days when there were no upgrade for years on end. I know its harsh but thats just the way it is. You could probably donate it to charity and take the tax write off. You really won't make any more $ that way but it would get picked up and you might be helping a good cause.
Old 05-13-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by BobDole42
So a few months ago, I purchased a DLP to replace my 55 inch Mits HDTV. I bought the DLP because I rearranged my system for better audio performance and no longer had room for the Mits. The TV retails for $1899 and it still have 2 years left on the transferrable extended warranty.

I've been trying to sell it on Craigslist for the past few weeks and have been getting nothing but morons or lowball offers! I had some idiot offer me $150 for it. Several people have offered $600. My asking price is, IMO, a very fair $799. I finally told one guy I'd let it go for $700 just to get rid of it. He wrote me back and said that was too much because "it's only hd ready, not hd build-in, which means i need to spend more to get hd pictures, and the tv's in the furture are all gonna to be hd,so ..."

geez! Is my less-than 2 year old HDTV really worthless? I am doing something wrong? Are people on Craigslist just cheap?

sorry for the rant!!
You say it is a current model that "retails" for $1899? What does it actually sell for? Most used TV's I've seen have gone for about 50% or less of the lowest currently selling price. It is just that new TV's are coming down so quickly, you got to really drop the price. I assume your Mit is a CRT RP? That of course is another issue. While I agree that a CRT RP (especially a Mit) can give you (with proper set up) about the best pq available, few want the size of it. They just don't have the WAF or fit in small rooms. However, you might get interest from higher end home theater "geeks". I'd see if your local high end HT store has a used section or if they would let you put up a picture/description.

IMHO, the having a HD turner or not is dependent on if the person is knowledge and their current set up. HD ready is fine with me. I have a couple of HD tuners sitting around, you can always find them cheap and anything else I want would get thru dish network or cable or whatever. But I don't need a TV, sorry.
Old 05-13-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You think the price is fair because that is what you are asking. What would you pay for it today if you wanted it, knowing what else you could get for the same money?
Old 05-13-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
You think the price is fair because that is what you are asking. What would you pay for it today if you wanted it, knowing what else you could get for the same money?
I would jump on a deal like this in a heartbeat if I were in the market for a CRT HDTV. The only reason I am getting rid of it is due to a living room rearrangement. I say $800 is fair because of what I'm selling - a tv in excellent condition with two years left on the extended warranty. $800 will barely buy you a 32 inch HDTV. I also think it's fair because it is, by far, the lowest price for a comparable tv on craigslist.

but, it appears people aren't biting. I just lowered my price to $749 and will probably take as low as $600 if someone offers it.
Old 05-13-06, 05:38 PM

150 is too generous.
Old 05-13-06, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Videogon?
Try that, it's free right now!

OP, I sold my 8 month old $1400 48" rear projection for $750 (this was in 2004). It hurt, but I got a great deal on my plasma, and I wanted the plasma. I should have waited, I learned my lesson.

I sold mine on CL, too. I got lowballers, I just deleted them. You do not have to reply, just delete them and don't worry about it. I'm sure with the warranty you'll get what you want. I advertised 3 or 4 free DVDs with it, maybe you can try that, even add an old DVD player you don't use? Even if they're good titles, it won't cost much to replace them. (Check out my FT list, I'll hook you up! ) The words "FREE DVDS!!" in your title will get some attention. It won't happen overnight, but just don't act desperate and I'm sure it'll sell.
Old 05-13-06, 09:17 PM

Well if you were in VT I might think about it, but kinda far
Old 05-13-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pwman
I'd take the 600 bucks and RUN. Nothing depreciates as fast as old electronics technology. No built in hdtv tuner is old school. I don't even think they can sell any without em anymore. My two year old computer is worth about a third of what I bought it for also. Television tech is upgrading so quickly these days that state of the art stuff can be dated in 2 years. Its not like the old days when there were no upgrade for years on end. I know its harsh but thats just the way it is. You could probably donate it to charity and take the tax write off. You really won't make any more $ that way but it would get picked up and you might be helping a good cause.
what do you really need a built in HDTV tuner for? cable boxes, satellite receivers, even HD-DVD players all send an HD image to your television. i know they are going to be standard at some point...but at this time i don't see any need for it.
Old 05-14-06, 01:53 AM
Political Exile

Local stations send out HD over the airwaves. They are not always HD broadcast on Sat or cable. I think it is actually FCC law that HDTV's built now have the tuner built in. But the main point I was trying to bring up is televisions are rapidly getting better and cheaper. A RP CRT HDTV that sold for 1800 dollars two years ago would sell for less NEW today even if it wasn't outdated. Add on the depreciation and you are left with something that has declined in value more than you would think.
Old 05-14-06, 02:56 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is actually FCC law that HDTV's built now have the tuner built in.
Right now it's only on the larger sizes (I think 37" and up). But yeah, eventually all TVs sold will require ATSC tuners.
Old 05-14-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 409 Likes on 354 Posts
I would jump on a deal like this in a heartbeat if I were in the market for a CRT HDTV. The only reason I am getting rid of it is due to a living room rearrangement. I say $800 is fair because of what I'm selling - a tv in excellent condition with two years left on the extended warranty. $800 will barely buy you a 32 inch HDTV. I also think it's fair because it is, by far, the lowest price for a comparable tv on craigslist.

but, it appears people aren't biting. I just lowered my price to $749 and will probably take as low as $600 if someone offers it.
See I think you are getting rid of it for the very reason CRT sales have dropped despite the excellent pq and everyone else feels like you. Yea, want a great TV, but don't want it to take up so much room.

Will probably by a HDTV for the living room this Christmas. I know for value, pq, features, etc, a CRT RP would be the way to go. But no way it I could get it past the wife and to be honest, not sure I would want to. In the living room I want a nice TV, but not one that would take up so much room.
Old 05-14-06, 10:25 PM

I just lowered my price to $749 and will probably take as low as $600 if someone offers it.
For $600 I'd throw it in the bathtub and roll the dice on the warranty people not calling the cops.
Old 05-14-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShallowHal
For $600 I'd throw it in the bathtub and roll the dice on the warranty people not calling the cops.
huh? I don't think I get the joke? warranty people not calling the cops?

edit: ah, I think I get it... You mean intentionally break it and hope to get my money back, eh? I think they would notice a soaking wet tv!
Old 05-15-06, 12:33 PM

huh? I don't think I get the joke? warranty people not calling the cops?

edit: ah, I think I get it... You mean intentionally break it and hope to get my money back, eh? I think they would notice a soaking wet tv!
So use dry ice!
Old 05-15-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pwnman
No built in hdtv tuner is old school. I don't even think they can sell any without em anymore.
That's not correct.
Old 05-16-06, 12:21 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's not correct.
Uh , ok I guess I have to take your word on that since you don't provide any links or other proof I'm wrong. The key word in my statement was, "THINK" since I wasn't sure about it. LOL Starting July 2006 all hdtv's larger than 25 inches sold new must have a built in ATSC tuner. Starting March 2007 ALL new tv's sold in the USA must have a built in ATSC tuner. Crutchfield Article with HDTV FCC regs. The bottom line is the tv on Craigslist is outdated by todays standards. I have a huge Sony CRT RP thats about that old. I'm lucky I can hold on to it until it dies so I really don't care if it loses all its fair market value.

Last edited by Pwman; 05-16-06 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be in the same boat one of these days. I have a 55" Mits also and I can see why the demand is not that high for it. You can get a "better technology" HDTV for $1000 more, but it's NEW. Also, the Mits is huge, so that turns a LOT of people off. Sorry for your luck.....I'm debating what to do when my day comes.
Old 05-16-06, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Well, I was able to get the $800 that you are asking for for my 55" Mitsubishi TV.

Good luck to you.
Old 05-18-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh , ok I guess I have to take your word on that since you don't provide any links or other proof I'm wrong. The key word in my statement was, "THINK" since I wasn't sure about it. LOL Starting July 2006 all hdtv's larger than 25 inches sold new must have a built in ATSC tuner. Starting March 2007 ALL new tv's sold in the USA must have a built in ATSC tuner.
The issue is: "What is a TV?" Some are sold as "monitors", and do not fall under this restriction. So it is still basically a crapshoot in the market, although more and more will have built-in tuners as time goes by.
Old 05-18-06, 11:01 AM
Banned

I sold my 32" Wega a year and a half ago on Craigslist for $650. It was VERY sketchy. It was this asian woman who kept falling through and then when she finally sent someone, it was these two guys who looked like they had been through hell. They circled around the tv for what seemed like forever, called the woman and said some stuff that I clearly could not understand and she said she'd take it. Paid for half of my newer HDTV.

You seriously have to go through a ton of people there and tell the losers to fuck off. Be prepared to move quick and dirty. Even if it's sketchy, just get your money and say goodbye to the TV.
Old 05-18-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
The issue is: "What is a TV?" Some are sold as "monitors", and do not fall under this restriction. So it is still basically a crapshoot in the market, although more and more will have built-in tuners as time goes by.
Simply my dear Spiky. A TV has a tuner, a monitor does not.

What a great rule that turned out to be, FCC. It's easier to circumvent than the Polish border circa 1939.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.