Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

CONFIRMED: Fuel offers AI's Daughtry Lead Singer Gig

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Breaking: Band 'Fuel' Offers American Idol's Chris Daughtry a Gig

By Cris Bergman
May 11, 2006
The mystery is over. The rock band Fuel has been revealed to be the band that wants to hire Chris Daughtry as their new frontman. It's a tough decision by Chris but appears to be a good fit.

TMZ has the report:

In an EXCLUSIVE interview, the multi-platinum rock band Fuel comes to Extra and to say they want American Idol’s eliminated Chris Daughtry!

Fuel bass player Jeff Abercrombie and songwriter/guitarist Carl Bell came straight to Extra’s Idol Correspondent Terri Seymour with the offer of a lifetime... they want Chris.

The band has been searching for a new lead singer and definitely took notice of Chris’ rendition of their hit “Hemorrhage” March 1st on Idol. “Chris, if you’re watching,” Bell says, “we’ve talked about this before, if you wanna entertain it again, we’ll entertain it again and go!”

How’d the idea get hatched? Extra Senior Executive Producer Lisa Gregorisch-Dempsey played the matchmaker. “It came to me last night as I watched Chris get voted off,” she says, “the wife of Fuel’s bass player works for Extra so I know the guys in the band well. It seemed like a perfect fit!”

As for Elvis, Bell says no worries. “Chris, you won’t have to do any Elvis songs if you come to Fuel bro- they’re no more! You won’t have to do that.”

No word yet as to an answer from Chris but even tough he was voted off last night - he's already the big winner this season on American Idol with this offer.

-----------
Old 05-11-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't he be locked up with American Idol for a while?
Old 05-11-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by U6C84
Won't he be locked up with American Idol for a while?
Kelly and Clay's lawyers got them out of their idol deals. It will cost Chris, but I'm sure a few years of "Fuel featuring American Idol's Chris Daughtry" will be enough pub to compensate them.

What's interesting is if Fuel re-records their album with chris (although I hear all that is left is for vocals to be laid down), will he still have to wait for the Idol winner to release theirs first?
Old 05-13-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Kelly and Clay's lawyers got them out of their idol deals. It will cost Chris, but I'm sure a few years of "Fuel featuring American Idol's Chris Daughtry" will be enough pub to compensate them.

What's interesting is if Fuel re-records their album with chris (although I hear all that is left is for vocals to be laid down), will he still have to wait for the Idol winner to release theirs first?
He needs to follow the Clay lawsuit model which was basically - YOU ARE FORCING ME TO MAKE LESS MONEY THAN I POTENTIALLY CAN BECAUSE YOU MUST PIMP THE IDOL WINNER FIRST...any lawyer can get him out of that
Old 05-14-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
He needs to follow the Clay lawsuit model which was basically - YOU ARE FORCING ME TO MAKE LESS MONEY THAN I POTENTIALLY CAN BECAUSE YOU MUST PIMP THE IDOL WINNER FIRST...any lawyer can get him out of that
Regardless, didn't he still have to wait until Ruben released his album first?
Old 05-14-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ruben: Released December 9, 2003

Clay: Released October 14, 2003
Old 05-14-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Ruben: Released December 9, 2003

Clay: Released October 14, 2003
Thanks for the info. Although, wasn't Ruben's album delayed a few times?
Old 05-14-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Thanks for the info. Although, wasn't Ruben's album delayed a few times?

I think they both were, yeah.
Old 05-14-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
What happened to the old lead singer?
He left to play bass in a band called The X's
Old 05-14-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it had ALOT more to do than that. Carl Bell is notorious Billy Corganish, and I think that Brett wanted to give it a go on its own.
Old 05-14-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
He's also now playing bass in Circus Diablo.

http://www.myspace.com/circusdiablo

http://www.myspace.com/thexsrock
Old 06-04-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Former Idol contestant turns down Fuel gig

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) - Former American Idol contestant Chris Daughtry said Saturday he has turned down an offer to be lead singer for the band Fuel.

Daughtry, in Greensboro for a day of welcome-home appearances, said he expects to announce his next career move in a few months, probably after he finishes with an American Idol summer concert tour.

"I'm going to be doing my own thing," Daughtry told The Charlotte Observer.

The band offered Daughtry a job hours after viewers voted him off the Fox television talent show last month. Bass player Jeff Abercrombie and guitarist Carl Bell made their pitch on the TV show Extra.

He would have replaced Brett Scallions, who quit the multi-platinum rock band in February.
Old 06-04-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieking
Former Idol contestant turns down Fuel gig

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) - Former American Idol contestant Chris Daughtry said Saturday he has turned down an offer to be lead singer for the band Fuel.

Daughtry, in Greensboro for a day of welcome-home appearances, said he expects to announce his next career move in a few months, probably after he finishes with an American Idol summer concert tour.

"I'm going to be doing my own thing," Daughtry told The Charlotte Observer.

The band offered Daughtry a job hours after viewers voted him off the Fox television talent show last month. Bass player Jeff Abercrombie and guitarist Carl Bell made their pitch on the TV show Extra.

He would have replaced Brett Scallions, who quit the multi-platinum rock band in February.
Got to respect the guy for wanting to go it on his own. How long do you want to be singing other people's songs? He knows that in the music industry, you rarely get a second opportunity, so this was a good move. I would have loved him in Fuel, but I'd like to see what he does on his own.
Old 11-26-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just discovered he formed his own band and they have a CD out. I've been listening to the 30 second samples on iTunes and it sounds really good. I think I'll have to spend $9.99 on it.
Old 11-27-06, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Hmm.. didn't realize he turned down the Fuel gig. Listened to a few of his songs and they do sound pretty good. Might pick it up...
Old 12-25-06, 10:39 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I sampled the 30-sec bites on iTunes and told my wife that I liked it, and she got me the CD for Christmas. Gave it a spin this morning and it's great.
Old 12-25-06, 11:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Why not just play the sample over and over again?
Old 12-25-06, 12:59 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Why not just play the sample over and over again?
That comment reminds me of the last episode of "The Office" when Michael was heart broken and playing the same clip on iTunes, and they asked him why not buy the whole song.

And to answer your question... I wanted to hear how the song's start and finish.
Old 12-26-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Daughtry CD as well. And besides "Its not over" or whatever the new single that's out you could use the CD as a coaster. It's horrible.
Old 01-08-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I like it.
Old 01-09-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
That comment reminds me of the last episode of "The Office" when Michael was heart broken and playing the same clip on iTunes, and they asked him why not buy the whole song.

And to answer your question... I wanted to hear how the song's start and finish.
Wow. I can't believe someone bit on Groucho's remark.