Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Good DVD's with little or no replay value?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

We've had the threads with high replay value, but I was thinking about this when deciding to get "Munich" or not. Some DVD's and the movies they exhibit can be very good, but just don't have replay value. Though you love that you have in your collection and wouldn't part with it, it just isn't one that has been popped in or only once since being bought.

"Munich" would go in the category of those hard to watch, historical, based on some truth, movies. I would certainly put
"Schindler's List" & "The Passion of the Christ" on that list.

So what other really good DVD's that you have or can think of that just don't have high replay value, but still warranted a purchase?
Old 05-10-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would even rank Saw and Hostel in this category. They are shocking and entertaining, but only a sick person could replay those movies over and over and over....
Old 05-10-06, 08:11 PM

History of Violence
Old 05-10-06, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

the sixth sense
the others
se7en
the usual suspects
Old 05-10-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
As Good As It Gets
Old 05-10-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
I'm not quite sure why one would want to own a DVD with little to no replay value? That's one of the biggest factors I use when deciding to buy a DVD. If I'm not going to watch it numerous times I'll just rent.

There are films I don't own, not because they're bad films but because I don't think I'll watch them again. Requiem for a Dream falls in this category... A great film that I don't own for this reason.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 05-10-06 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 08:43 PM

Anything directed by Takashi Miike. Having only watched Audition (twice actually) and Gozu, sometimes I wonder why I even own these. I get creeped out just thinking about watching them again.
Old 05-10-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
There are films I don't own, not because they're bad films but because I don't think I'll watch them again. Requiem for a Dream falls in this category... A great film that I don't own for this reason.
This was one of the first films that I thought of after seeing the thread title. I'd also add Irreversible, Jacob's Ladder or any other disturbing films that I appreciate as being a well made films, but don't necessarily get any enjoyment out of it .. as they aren't usually made for that sort of sentiment.

The other type of film that I would include would be the likes of Sixth Sense or The Others as Depp mentioned .. where, once the "punch line" is out, the remainder of the film loses its appeal after multiple viewings .. or at least, it was lost to me.

Though, I own all of these films on DVD because even as I may not watch them as much as say, a Jurassic Park or Aliens or whatever .. I still have an interest or find usefullness in each of the films to own them. Besides, they will be there to pick up again if there is interest to rewatch them or show them off to others. And I will.

Last edited by visitor Q; 05-10-06 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

elvis depp said:
se7en
the usual suspects
See, I think that both of those have quite high replay value. I've watched both of those films too many times to count.

I would have to go with The Disney Treasures. They're important documents of the past, they're entertaining, and they're damn well put-together ('cept for the Rarities one) but really, I don't see myself re-visiting them ever again after I've watched them once.
Old 05-10-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm not quite sure why one would want to own a DVD with little to no replay value?
Well, why would someone go spend $20 at the theater to see a movie only once? For me, buying a DVD is like going to the theater (only cheaper and with a better audience ). Even if I never watch it again, I'm still ahead.
Old 05-10-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not one of my 2,200+ titles have replay value. They are good....but only once.

You crazy fucking kids.
Old 05-11-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think LONG movies have no replay value to me...Gangs of New York comes to mind. There are a few others...just cannot think.
Old 05-11-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't own any horror movies for this reason. I think JACOB'S LADDER is the greatest and scariest horror movie ever, it's just that it's so good at what it does, I'm afraid to watch it again....

I watch SCHINDLER'S LIST traditionally a week or two before Passover each year...I wonder if people will do the same with the UNITED 93 or WORLD TRADE CENTER DVDs before 9/11....
Old 05-11-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Takashi Miike in some cases, where the movie has a "twist" to it... others, such as Ichi the Killer, are very re-watchable Same goes for M. SHallahhayyan, or however yo usay his name, most of movies have a good twist that makes it not so much exciting to rewatch.

In the same vein, Requiem for a Dream has rewatchability... it's a downer, but not so much that I'd avoid rewatching it... it has some GREAT sequences/shots, like the old lady cleaning in fast-motion.

I agree with Irreversible, and also add Cannibal holocaust, to the movies with no rewatchability... I'm still glad I own them, but I don't know if I'll ever sit down and watch them again.

Last edited by ShagMan; 05-11-06 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too immediately thought of Requiem for a Dream.
Old 05-11-06, 10:40 AM
LiK

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
History of Violence
ditto
Old 05-11-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I disagree with History Of Violence, as when I watched it the second time,
hints and clues were scattered around which were unnoticable the first time through.

The subtle acting especially by Viggo Mortenson was truly something,
which I think more people will appreciate the second time.
Old 05-11-06, 11:08 AM

Saving Private Ryan...

Paul
Old 05-11-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To me any horror movies or any movie with a twist.
Old 05-11-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would just like to say that I am a proud dvd aficianado who refers to buying dvds with that whole "replay factor" tag. It is the very reason alone that should determine a purchase of any dvd. If the replay factor is above or meets about 2 viewings, that should warrant a purchase alone. If it is borderline 2 viewings, you might as well just go and rent the dvd and forget about purchasing the dvd. I think movies that have good dvd's and little/no replay value depends on the viewer. So I can't answer that one for you. I would say though, there are many like that.
Old 05-11-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty much any M. Night Shyamalan movie would fall under this category. The only film of his I kinda come back and watch is Unbreakable.
Old 05-11-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand the concept of "replay value". I just don't feel that story and plot is the only thing a film offers. Even harder to watch films like some mentioned here (Schindler's List, The Passion of the Christ) are absolutely full of this so-called replay value - the directing, the cinematography, the acting...
Old 05-11-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
I don't understand the concept of "replay value". I just don't feel that story and plot is the only thing a film offers. Even harder to watch films like some mentioned here (Schindler's List, The Passion of the Christ) are absolutely full of this so-called replay value - the directing, the cinematography, the acting...
That is why I made no reccommendations. Replay value is about the buyer and the dvd, how many times will a buyer watch the dvd if they purchase, if the replay value is high than the dvd is more worthy of a purchase, if it is low than the dvd should probably be considered for a rent. Having a replay value set can save lot's of dvd collectors time and money and making dvd's more worthy investments. I think that is the concept.
Old 05-11-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd say King Kong (2005), because it's too long. I can see myself mainly watching highlights from the film again rather than the whole thing. As least certain scenes are worth repeat viewings.
Old 05-11-06, 03:48 PM
Suspended

The Game ( though not a good dvd, just film)
Usual Suspects ( which makes no sense, the 2nd viewing)
Irreversible

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.