Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

VGT at E3: First 2 hours PS3 & Wii impressions.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 01:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a break from the show floor. I just pushed through the masses waiting to get into this crazy joint. Anyway, I've played the PS3 and the Wii at this point.

PS3:

Playable PS3's are not on the show floor. Instead, the displays & controllers are hooked up to massive servers beside in the middle of each display unit.

Gran Turismo HD is 20% done. The playable demo offered a little taste of driving everything from Model T's to Dodge Vipers. While the cars look amazing in HD, the tracks are a bit lifeless. It looks a little strange in motion. But the gameplay is the same as the rest of the series.

Warhawk is a futuristic flight shooter game that's 30% done. The controls were a bit loose, but the gameplay is similar to Crimson Skies with better optics.

Virtua Tennis 3 was 20% done. The game looked on par with Top Spin 2 for the 360, but the gameplay wasn't anywhere near close. The controls were unresponsive.

The most complete game on the floor is Resistance Fall of Man. It's 70% done. It's a military FPS game that looks on par with Call of Duty 2 graphics for the 360. Kind of fun to play, but no where near Gears of War quality.

Overall, the first gen of PS3 games looked on par with the first gen of 360 games. There isn't a huge improvement in graphical power. Also, all the games were using the PS2 dual shock controller.

Wii

The controller is just tiny. I wasn't prepared for how small is actually was until I held it. It's also tough to get a hang of, but then again, I was moving quickly through the booth. Nintendo heavily focused on the unique qualities of the controller opposed to focusing on graphical prowess like Sony.

Metroid 3 Corruption was probably the best looking game for the Wii. The controls were split between using one hand for movement and the other for the auxiliary functions like shooting, rolling, etc.

Super Mario Galaxy was insanely fun to play once I got the controls down. Mario is going from planet to planet in this rendition of Mario. The graphics were colorful and quite vibrant on HD sets.

Legend of Zelda was the game I most wanted to play. Zelda was the game that used the controller for the most functions. For instance, fishing with Zelda used the right unit of the controller to cast the line and the left to reel it in. Firing arrows, swinging your sword, using the shield to block were all incredibly fun to act out as well as see on the screen. No cel shading in sight, btw.

There were other games for the Wii such as Madden 07, Tennis, Orchestra, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, and Bomberman, but I haven't gone hands on with them yet.

Overall, the Wii looks to be the extra console to own if you have a PS3 or 360. The Nintendo reps continued to stress the console will be "affordable". It will be interesting to see if this controller will catch on and people won't feel self-conscious using it. I felt a bit goofy going through the motions, but I'm sure everyone did as well.

Ok, that's it for me for now. I've got an appointment to see Guitar Hero soon and tons of MS appointments later today.

Last edited by Flay; 05-10-06 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Definitely want to hear more about the Xbox side. Hope they have stuff for Live Arcade.
Old 05-10-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know!

I'm a little confused... If playable PS3's weren't on the show floor, how exactly were you playing those games with a PS2 controller?
Old 05-10-06, 01:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by pinata242
Good to know!

I'm a little confused... If playable PS3's weren't on the show floor, how exactly were you playing those games with a PS2 controller?
Sorry, should have been more clear. They were developer units, not finished PS3's. Big computers that dev's program their PS3 games on.

Also, I forgot to mention Nintendo had playable Wii's.
Old 05-10-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No Heavenly Sword???? Boooo...
Old 05-10-06, 01:30 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
No Heavenly Sword???? Boooo...
Saw it, but the line was way too long to get to it. I'll try later.
Old 05-10-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting...playable PS3 games on Dev units. Sounds fishy.

Keep up the great work and hand on reports Flay!
Old 05-10-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Interesting...playable PS3 games on Dev units. Sounds fishy.

Keep up the great work and hand on reports Flay!
Not that fishy really, MS was using dev units at E3 05.
Old 05-10-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay

Also, I forgot to mention Nintendo had playable Wii's.
Interesting. Could Sept./Oct. be feasible? I like the sound of that.
Old 05-10-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Looks like they are still doing some fine-tuning on both the conroller and moreso on the software. I'd like to give them whatever time they need to tighten things up. The quality and interface for this first wave of games will be crucial to what Nintendo seems to be trying to do (i.e. making this a must have gadget for Everyone). If the control is off in any way, and the press picks up on it, it could be over.
Old 05-10-06, 02:36 PM

I don't know about September, but I could see October possibly. I think a month jump on Sony would be huge.
Old 05-10-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chess
Looks like they are still doing some fine-tuning on both the conroller and moreso on the software. I'd like to give them whatever time they need to tighten things up. The quality and interface for this first wave of games will be crucial to what Nintendo seems to be trying to do (i.e. making this a must have gadget for Everyone). If the control is off in any way, and the press picks up on it, it could be over.
Good point. Like always at launch though, you KNOW the first party titles will be tight. It is the third parties that need the extra time.
Old 05-10-06, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
Not that fishy really, MS was using dev units at E3 05.
The thing I actually do find fishy about that is that Sony was saying that they were trying for a spring launch. I should think if all they were waiting on was Blu-Ray they would have at least a few pre-production units.
Old 05-10-06, 03:06 PM

Good point. Like always at launch though, you KNOW the first party titles will be tight. It is the third parties that need the extra time.
Assuming the software comes along, the Wii WILL launch in October.
Old 05-10-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*writes on a pink post-it-note: Save vaction time for October*
Old 05-10-06, 03:15 PM
Retired

Honestly, I don't care about 3rd party titles at Wii launch. Zelda and Virtual Console would be enough, and I'll be overwhelmed as is if Mario and Metroid are also launch titles.
Old 05-10-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
*writes on a pink post-it-note: Save vaction time for October*

I laugh because I took the week off after the 360 came out. I won't be able to do the same this year as I(the wife) am expecting our second child in early August so vacation time will be spent during that time.
Old 05-10-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I laugh because I took the week off after the 360 came out. I won't be able to do the same this year as I(the wife) am expecting our second child in early August so vacation time will be spent during that time.
Unfortunately I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. We've already got a vacation planned to Vegas in early October so I'm hoping it doesn't launch when I'm out of town.

Congratulation on the kid, by the way!
Old 05-10-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Honestly, I don't care about 3rd party titles at Wii launch. Zelda and Virtual Console would be enough, and I'll be overwhelmed as is if Mario and Metroid are also launch titles.
Exactly. The other game that really has my interest right now is Super Paper Mario (was that a Wii game or GC?) I've gone from optimistic to already putting money aside and waiting to hear a launch date. I also will probably have to take some vacation time.
Old 05-10-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Super Paper Mario is (currently) a Gamecube title. I can't imagine they'll push that for the Wii.
Old 05-10-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^isn't the gamecube dead? I know it is wrong to do, but I'd write off that system and put all my eggs into the Wii. It's not like Gamecube sales are lighting the world on fire. Sell what's out there and move on. Make all current projects Wii projects.
Old 05-10-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wii is backward compatible though, so it really is a non-issue.
Old 05-10-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Super Paper Mario is (currently) a Gamecube title. I can't imagine they'll push that for the Wii.
Cool, thanks. I saw a quick video for it but not really any other info. I don't care what system it's for. I will own it the day it is released.
Old 05-10-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wii is backward compatible though, so it really is a non-issue.
But not Wii controller compatable.
Old 05-10-06, 04:39 PM
Retired

But not Wii controller compatable.
The GC controllers will work on the Wii, so just keep one if you sell the GC.

Otherwise, I'm sure it would play well with the virtual console controller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.