Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Platinum Disc Corp.....Are They All This Bad?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got Platinum Disc Corp's release of "Guilty Conscience" from Overstock.com, and the transfer is horrible. It is literally bootleg quality. The top of the screen frequently gets distorted, the sound was off a bit in the beginning.

This freakin' disc wasn't worth the cardboard mailer it was mailed in.

-p
Old 05-06-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have one disc from them (Family Enforcer) and it is the worst looking movie I own.
Old 05-06-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
It's a crapshoot with Platinum titles. Some of their discs, like THE WRAITH or JADED look pretty good, while other titles like PROM NIGHT are horrible quality.
Old 05-06-06, 05:21 PM

I have several Platinum titles that are Grade A quality (Blondie and Hoppy films). These were licensed so they probably got access to good prints. As others have said though, some of their other releases (primarily of PD material) is pretty bad.
Old 05-06-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My copy of Prayer of the Rollerboys was VHS quality but overall not terrible.
Old 05-06-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is borderline unwatchable.

-p
Old 05-09-06, 01:53 PM

Pedagogue, Platinum Disc Corp actually asked us NOT to post/list information at TVShowsOnDVD.com for their TV titles. I was rather shocked by that.

Gord
Old 05-09-06, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got their disc of DALVA because I'm a Rod Steiger fan. This is easily the worst disc in my 3,000+ collection. The audio gets so overmodulated that I want to scream.
Old 05-09-06, 04:23 PM

Any comparisons to the Madacy issue of Metropolis? I hang on to this one as the low water mark of my collection for which all other bad transfers, or source material, is compared.
Old 05-09-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
I just got Platinum Disc Corp's release of "Guilty Conscience" from Overstock.com, and the transfer is horrible. It is literally bootleg quality. The top of the screen frequently gets distorted, the sound was off a bit in the beginning.

This freakin' disc wasn't worth the cardboard mailer it was mailed in.

-p
It's probably just the old crappy public domain EP VHS transfer transferred over to DVD.

Good movie though. One of my favorite TV movies of all time (written by the Levinson/Link Columbo team). I'd like to see it treated well some day if there is any source material that is decent. It's the kind of film a company like Anchor Bay might tackle.

Last edited by movielib; 05-09-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 06:14 PM
Banned

Platinum Disc Corp. did two excellent collections of Max Fleischer Betty Boop cartoons.
Old 05-10-06, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by acostigan
Any comparisons to the Madacy issue of Metropolis? I hang on to this one as the low water mark of my collection for which all other bad transfers, or source material, is compared.
The upside of that POS that I was suckered into buying also was that it lead me to DVD Talk and others to check reviews FIRST. I simply threw that one in the trash.
Old 05-11-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by pedagogue
Great movie, with a transfer that looks like it was projected through a greasy window. I have a couple of other Platinums ("Death Sentence" with Cloris Leachman and Argento's "Cat o' Nine Tails") and the quality is about the same, maybe a touch better.
Another of these companies that produces scratchy sub-VHS quality DVDs is Legacy Entertainment Inc. But some of their film choices are very rare, so I'm usually willing to spend the couple of bucks if it's a movie I want.
Old 05-21-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At least I know to avoid their junk from now on.

-p
Old 05-22-06, 07:16 AM

Their "Prom Night" DVD is easily the worst disc, transfer-wise, in my collection. The night scenes are so dark you can't see much of anything. I'm not joking. It's almost like watching a solid black screen. Plus, it's 1.33:1. Either they don't have a Quality Care department watching this stuff before it goes out, or they just don't care. I bought it because it was cheap and mostly because I missed out on Anchor Bay's non-anamorphic widescreen 1.85:1 DVD, which has been out of print for quite a few years now. I wish some respectable studio could get the rights away from Platinum and give it a remastered 16x9 enhanced transfer.
Old 05-22-06, 07:29 AM
Cool New Member

Their transfer of "The Little Shop of Horrors" is pretty terrible, with frequent severe distortion/digital noise, but for $2.06 I can't really complain.
Old 05-22-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds as if Platinum is trying to give Madacy some competiion!

I've noticed a few Platinum titles that interested me, but I think I'll pass. I'd hate my Madacy Two Women to lose its designation as the worst DVD I've ever been suckered into buying.
Old 05-22-06, 09:29 AM

Madacy on the whole are marginally better then Platinum Disc I would say. Both do have some pretty crappy transfers in their library to say the least. Westlake is another that comes to mind.
Old 05-22-06, 10:25 AM
Banned

Platinum Disc Corp. is an substandard DVD manufacturer company, and they are known for their inferior DVD quality. That's why their DVDs are so cheap... Buyer's beware!

Last edited by SINGLE104; 05-22-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-06, 11:40 AM

Platinum Disc's titles are indeed very hit and miss. As mentioned, THE WRAITH and some of the other titles from that era are quite good, if VHS-DVD transfers, full frame, with no extras. I got a copy of I think it was Brian DePalma's GREETINGS that was EXCELLENT quality. Great colors. Better than any VHS version I had seen.

Others are not at that level.

But the fact you can't find most of their titles on places like Amazon, and like Gord mentioned they don't want to advertise what they offer, makes a lot of their releases of questionable legality. While Circuit City and Wal Mart carry them, they don't advertise much.