Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Spider-Man Creator Seeks New Superhero

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spider-Man Creator Seeks New Superhero

Fri May 5, 11:52 PM ET

PASADENA, Calif. - The creator of Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk is on the hunt for a new superhero, and he plans to find it on reality TV.

Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee said Friday that his new reality show "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" breaks new ground.

"I've never lived in a world of reality," quipped the 83-year-old writer.

Eleven wannabe superheros — whittled down from 200 — are set to compete in the show, which is scheduled to premiere July 26 on the Sci-Fi channel . The winning superhero will be the star of a new comic book created by Lee.

The reported catch-phrase for those who don't make the cut? "Turn in your spandex!"
Old 05-06-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Waffler may finally get his chance.
Old 05-06-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Man is never humble enough! Taking full credit for creating a comic book based on a character somebody else came up with! Good to see nothing has changed since 1964!
Old 05-06-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's amazing that Stan Lee's name still draws money (or that people believe it will). He hasn't written a decent story in decades. Does anyone remember that horrible series from DC comics where they had Lee rewrite all the major characters as if he had created them? I know you all remember the abortion known as Stripperella.
Old 05-06-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not to mention stripperella? yeah, I respect the guy for what he did in the past, but he hasn't done anything new in ages. I remember he wanted to make Ringo star into some superhero.
Old 05-06-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Say what you will about Stan Lee. He is probably the only comic person that is famous to the average person. Other people might be famous to comic fans but I doubt there is anyone else that if you mention his name, they know who he is.

So other than seeing people in costumes what is the show about. Is it like Fear Factor where they have to use their 'super powers' to accomplish tasks?
Old 05-06-06, 07:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Say what you will about Stan Lee. He is probably the only comic person that is famous to the average person. Other people might be famous to comic fans but I doubt there is anyone else that if you mention his name, they know who he is.

So other than seeing people in costumes what is the show about. Is it like Fear Factor where they have to use their 'super powers' to accomplish tasks?
Todd McFarlane, Frank Miller...i'm not in comics at all and know them.
Old 05-06-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Todd McFarlane, Frank Miller...i'm not in comics at all and know them.

Yeah, but they're the Steve and Edie to Stan's Frank Sinatra.

Smilin' Stan is in a league by himself.
Old 05-06-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't realize there was so much abhorrence towards poor Stan.
Old 05-06-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I didn't realize there was so much abhorrence towards poor Stan.
It's not abhorrence, at least not for me. I recognize and respect Stan's contribution to comics... but damn, it's time for him to admit that what worked 50 years ago does not work now and he's not able to write in a modern style.
Old 05-06-06, 09:01 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

They were making fun of this reality show on David Spade's show this week with a ton of footage of the potential candidates. Basically, it looked like a freak show.
Old 05-07-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
It's not abhorrence, at least not for me. I recognize and respect Stan's contribution to comics... but damn, it's time for him to admit that what worked 50 years ago does not work now and he's not able to write in a modern style.

"Excelsior, bitch!"
Old 05-07-06, 02:00 AM

I became aware of Frank Miller from Sin City the movie. Disturbing little mind he has that one.
Old 05-07-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If the crap that they've done to Spider-Man over the last ten years or so (in the comics) is any indication, you can have the "modern style."

Yes, I acknowledge the large shadows cast by men such as Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko in the "silver age" of comic history. So does Stan. The perceived "historical revisionism" of Marvel's early years, supposedly perpetrated by Mr. Lee, is just that - perceived.

And if he chooses to hold off the retirement home with dreck like "Stripperella" and reality shows, he has more than earned that right.

If readers cannot – even still, to this day – utter the name "Stan Lee" without a certain degree of respect and awe, then we deserve fiascos like House of M and The Other.
Old 05-07-06, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
If readers cannot – even still, to this day – utter the name "Stan Lee" without a certain degree of respect and awe, then we deserve fiascos like House of M and The Other.
Oh and let's not forget Civil War!

How does respecting Stan Lee even when he's putting out sub-par work and the quality of recent mega-events even relate to each other?
Old 05-07-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I know you all remember the abortion known as Stripperella.
He went back in time and prevented her from existing? Or Striperella had an abortion? I haven't kept up on my comics.
Old 05-07-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
If the crap that they've done to Spider-Man over the last ten years or so (in the comics) is any indication, you can have the "modern style."

Yes, I acknowledge the large shadows cast by men such as Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko in the "silver age" of comic history. So does Stan. The perceived "historical revisionism" of Marvel's early years, supposedly perpetrated by Mr. Lee, is just that - perceived.

And if he chooses to hold off the retirement home with dreck like "Stripperella" and reality shows, he has more than earned that right.

So what you're saying is that since you find today's material to be bad, it's ok for his stuff to be bad also. And make no mistake about it, it's bad.

I've seen Stan's attempt at writing stories after his best years, and he needs to stop. Ravage 2099, anyone? Or (as I mentioned earlier) Just Imagine, where he "re-created" the DC universe and couldn't decide what time period the stories were taking place even?
Old 05-07-06, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
They were making fun of this reality show on David Spade's show this week with a ton of footage of the potential candidates. Basically, it looked like a freak show.
David Spade's show making fun of another show. Wow.
Old 05-07-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the tag line is gonna be

"Turn in your spandex"
Old 05-08-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
the tag line is gonna be

"Turn in your spandex"
The OP said that already.

Old 05-08-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TyroneJordan
I became aware of Frank Miller from Sin City the movie. Disturbing little mind he has that one.
You should see what he does with Batman...legendary stuff

Last edited by Deadpool; 05-08-06 at 09:52 AM.