Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Good place to get system sales numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good place to get system sales numbers?

I'm doing a report on trying to market a portable gaming/music player.

Are their any GOOD sites that give statistics of how many PSP/GameBoy/IPod units sold....demographics? Anything on those lines?

Thanks....
Old 05-05-06, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US you have to rely on the NPD group. They are always way behind the the actual period though. To get full access to their reports it costs money.

Japan has much better accuracy in reporting actual sales. More telling is the reports put out by the goverment of Japan on the video game business. They are yearly though, but report exactly what has been shipped where and how much has sold. (No user demographics) Shoot me an email I'llm try and send some data you can sift through.

May I ask what class this is? High-school, College, Grad, etc?
Old 05-05-06, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...it's a Grad class actually. I just started, so it's not like I'm a slacker, just trying to tap into different people.
Old 05-05-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SLACKER!!!

you can also call or email PR of the places, i.e. Nintendo America, Microsoft. they usually have investemt stuff they will send out along with other crap if you ask. it has #s in it, but it isn't a 3rd party so take with a grain of salt.
Old 05-05-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks...I'll do that also. I'm mainly looking for System sales.....not so much as game sales. Also, IPOD and other MP3 player sales.
Old 05-05-06, 07:13 AM
Banned

Console Wars @ Wikipedia
Old 05-05-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012

Interesting, Is it true that Sony doesn't release units sold, just shipped? Don't their shareholders want to know sales numbers? I'm just curious, that seems a little underhanded.
Old 05-05-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Thanks...I'll do that also. I'm mainly looking for System sales.....not so much as game sales. Also, IPOD and other MP3 player sales.
apple has one of the best put together packets for investors i've ever seen, give them a ring it usually takes a couple days to get the stuff in the mail. sometimes though places will overnight fedex to you. if you have an investment banker they usually can have the info next day if you've got a good one.
Old 05-05-06, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by huh?
Interesting, Is it true that Sony doesn't release units sold, just shipped? Don't their shareholders want to know sales numbers? I'm just curious, that seems a little underhanded.
As I understand it, a system shipped is a system sold. Once Sony delivers the consoles to a store, they get paid. Now, if they sit on the store shelves after that, it is no concern to stockholders. Sony already has there money, so who cares what is done with the console.

Nintendo is the only company which issues a systems sold number. This, of course, is a combination of suspect data. It is impossible to track every unit once it hits store shelves, so they make estimates by taking the sell through rate of a few stores and multiplies that accross the board.
Old 05-05-06, 12:52 PM

As I understand it, a system shipped is a system sold. Once Sony delivers the consoles to a store, they get paid. Now, if they sit on the store shelves after that, it is no concern to stockholders. Sony already has there money, so who cares what is done with the console.
Game Developers and Publishers: Financing decisions are made on this data. My good friend at EA (cough) is responsible for data analysis of the market sizes and demographics for determining which systems to support etc.

Nintendo is the only company which issues a systems sold number. This, of course, is a combination of suspect data. It is impossible to track every unit once it hits store shelves, so they make estimates by taking the sell through rate of a few stores and multiplies that accross the board.
Most every industry of durable goods provide actual sales of their product. ex: Automobiles, TVs, CD players etc. The Data colleceted by NPD is through a very accurate Point of Sale service inventory tracker, the data is not suspect except for the smaller chains that don't use it. Every major game store, Walmart, Best buy, etc uses it. The data accurately captures over 95% of the actual market.

Its a widely accepted fact in all industries that actual sales data > shipment data.
Old 05-05-06, 01:10 PM

Because actual sales figures are an indication of systems they will move down the road if a store doesn't sell the units they've purchased from the manufacturer they aren't very likely to purchase more units.