Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-04-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the book today and it was pretty good. I liked Constantine, so I have no problem with Francis Lawrence as the director, but I can not really see Will Smith as Robert Neville. The obvious differences aside (white, blond, English), I just do not see Will Smith as the drinking, smoking character of Robert Neville. I would have liked to see someone like Tom Jane in the lead role. I will still give it a chance, because it is a vampire movie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14381

Source: Variety May 4, 2006

Will Smith is looking to start work this summer on the Francis Lawrence-directed I Am Legend, a move that would give Warner Bros. Pictures a big summer 2007 tentpole, says Variety. The film originally wasn't supposed to get under way until early next year.

The move would amount to a slot swap with Tonight, He Comes, in which Smith was slated to star this summer. Gabriele Muccino took over the helm of that pic after Jonathan Mostow dropped out. Since Muccino is editing Smith starrer The Pursuit of Happyness for a Sony release in December, the studio pushed its superhero-in-existential-crisis pic until next year.

In I Am Legend, based on the Richard Matheson book, Smith plays the last living man on Earth... but he is not alone. Every other man, woman, and child has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for his blood.
Old 05-04-06, 06:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first to post "Aww Hell Naw!!!"!
Old 05-04-06, 08:47 PM

With Will Smith starring I'm afraid it'll turn out to be an action movie.Well at least we still have Omega Man.
Old 05-04-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been waiting for a new adaptation of I Am Legend and now I just can not care. I do not dislike Will Smith, but I can not see him in the role and I am afraid the movie will end up being all action, not substance.
Old 05-04-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be brutally honest with you I'd rather see Tom Cruise in the role.
Old 05-04-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, here's at least hoping they try to stay true to the book's tone.
Old 05-04-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fmian
Agreed. Smith is the last person I envision as Neville.

It's nice to finally see this get off the ground though. I remember years and years ago when Arnold was attached to it.
Old 05-04-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, summer of 97 with Arnold and Ridley Scott....

I'll give Will a shot though.
Old 05-04-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I've never heard of, or read the book, I'll wait until I see trailers. The concept sounds cool.

= J
Old 05-04-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neville in the book was a big burly guy. A man's man. I think Cruise would be just as bad a choice as Smith. Not excited about the director either.
Old 05-05-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-05-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Viggo Mortensen would have been my choice.
Old 05-05-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really didn't want this to be turned into a movie.
Old 05-05-06, 02:39 AM

i hate vampire movies

-NiCK
Old 05-05-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What, was Jon Heder busy?
Old 05-05-06, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will Smith is a fine actor. However, everything about this news very much worries me. I disliked most of Constantine. I wasn't overly impressed with much of Mark Protosevich's script for I Am Legend (at least the one online that is credited to him). From what I read, it seems that Warner wants Lawrence to "not fix what isn't broke", and turn out a predictable, sterile flick to meet a summer opening date. I have a nasty image of Will Smith fighting hastily-rendered CGI vampires while cracking wise. It is difficult to imagine Smith as the gruff, hardened, unkempt man of the novel.

Even worse, I'd hate them to just use elements from the story and use it to support a humdrum thriller, much like Fox's non-adaptation of I, Robot.

The results will be interesting. I really hope that the film is good, but too many things are already jumping out at me and saying "no". Must withhold judgment though... good luck, Francis Lawrence, may you make a good film.

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I really didn't want this to be turned into a movie.
It's already been filmed twice, and has inspired so many more films. I think it works so well as a book and would make a great film.

Too close to his role in War Of The Worlds, I'd say. Not at first glance, I know...
Old 05-05-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Neville in the book was a big burly guy. A man's man. I think Cruise would be just as bad a choice as Smith. Not excited about the director either.
What I meant was that people seem to dislike Cruise more than Smith when it comes to seeing a big head on a movie poster, but for this type of movie Cruise is more suitable.

I don't know anything about the story except that it's like the Omega Man with Heston and the script has been floating around for ages. From what I've heard it sounds like quite an ambitious movie, and Cruise is better suited to that than Smith.
Old 05-05-06, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know anything about the story except that it's like the Omega Man with Heston and the script has been floating around for ages.
Nah, it's more like The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price...
Old 05-05-06, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
<- Sick To Friggin Death Of Will Smith.
Old 05-05-06, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
first to post "Aww Hell Naw!!!"!

That annoying kinda shit from Smith in his movies is precisely what I hate about him, and apparently what the unwashed masses love about him.
Old 05-05-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
My friend and I were talking about this at work today. We're both big fans of the story. Looks like if they made this movie 10-15 years ago there would've been more viable options for Neville.

Smith is just a bad choice. They'll probably change the ending,
Spoiler:
killing Will Smith?
It doesn't seem like it would go over well with the general audience.

A few guys I would've liked to have seen in the role are Jake Weber, Liam Neeson, or Russell Crowe
Old 05-05-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i have been looking forward to this movie for some time...but hearing that Will Smith is going to be playing Neville has disappointed me. I remember hearing about Arnold and Rdiley teaming up for this and that got me excited. You need some kind of kick arse personality to play Neville.....just like Charlton Heston played him in the Omega Man. The book was enjoyable...but it was short and didn't have much too it. A movie version could vastly improve upon the book. I think Viggo Mortenson would be an interesting choice. I also think that maybe even someone like Bruce Willis could play it well...he seems to play battered and bruised pretty good.

Also with regards to the whole vampire aspect...in the book they were not really vampires. The virus had changed them and they hated Neville becuase he was different....he was how they used to be and they were jealous....so they wanted to kill him as he did not fit in with the new nocturnal way and the changes that the they had received from the virus.
Old 05-05-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
First I, Robot, now this. What classic work of sci-fi will Will Smith "jazzy jeff" up next? Yeesh.
Old 05-05-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sounds like a remake of "Last man on Eartgh" *ing Vincent Price. Only difference is see is the vampire twist.
Old 05-05-06, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by roger_d
This sounds like a remake of "Last man on Eartgh" *ing Vincent Price. Only difference is see is the vampire twist.
I believe the "Last Man on Earth" movie was loosely based on the book "I am Legend". The book was written in the mid-50's. So book predates both "Last Man on Earth" and "The Omega Man".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.