Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does MS let you purchase a warranty months after you bought the 360?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-04-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An odd question, but I'm growing nervous about my 360. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it and it hasn't even stuttered, but after reading the other thread about the freezing issues from another launch console, I'd really like to pick up a warranty. I know it would sound to MS like I'm trying to buy a warranty for a busted 360 and it's my fault that I should have purchased it earlier. What are the odds of getting a warranty if I call MS and try to find a sympathetic customer care official?
Old 05-04-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just tell them you want it, because of all the problems and you'd feel safer having the two years. it will set you back about the cost of a game.
Old 05-04-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm cool with the price, the peace of mind alone is worth $60. Especially knowing that I can keep my hard drive and just replace the console.
Old 05-04-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I need to do this as well. I felt the same way reading the nightmare stories on this forum.
Old 05-04-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a warranty about a month after owning it. The two year warranty doesn't even start until the original 90 day one runs out - so if you are within 90 days it shouldn't be a problem. Just call that myxbox number and have your credit card ready.
Old 05-04-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I bought mine about 80 days after I bought my 360. Didn't have to send a reciept in or anything.

The woman that took my order was a ditz, but they've been cool and I got my system fixed in a week after it failed on day 93 or so.
Old 05-04-06, 08:08 PM

I thought the warrenty was now for 180 days?
Old 05-04-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It doesn't matter anyhow, if you still have the box your 360 came in you should have a warranty card in the box you fill it out with your console's serial number and send it in. They don't ask for a copy of a reciept or anything so I'd say you're set.
Old 05-04-06, 10:42 PM
RVP

I have a 360 warranty question. I signed up for the warranty a week after I bought my 360. It took about a month and a half for me to get the contract. On the contract it only mentions Xbox, never the 360. Is this normal, or Is something wrong?
Old 05-05-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Yeah I bought my 360 at Sears and they didn't have an extended warranty, which was weird but whatever. Anyway, the more I think about it the more I would feel more comfortable getting MS' extended warranty. I've read some posts online were people were saying it was a waste of money. Who knows...
Old 05-05-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah a real waste. no way man mine already died i'm sure that it will die again in the next year along with most of the other launch boxes. i really like the 360 i just don't have any faith in the people putting them together.
Old 05-05-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BeanDip0001
yeah a real waste. no way man mine already died i'm sure that it will die again in the next year along with most of the other launch boxes. i really like the 360 i just don't have any faith in the people putting them together.
Yep it's an awesome machine but just like it's older brother it's doomed to dying multiple deaths. The warranty is necessary, and when you need to use it they make it as painless as possible. My brother went through like 4-5 original xboxs lol but they took care of business quickly everytime
Old 05-05-06, 08:09 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought it after my launch 360 died.

I've been getting nervous with replacement though. I think I might be sending it in soon. I'm imagining turning it on again to be greeted with the red lights of death.

I freezes up a lot in Oblivion, but I figured that was due to the game. Occasionally it froze up in other games. Last night, I was playing Hexic and the thing froze again. Each time it freezes I have to turn the power off on the unit.
I know its not a heat issue as it is in an open entertainment stand. There are just shelves, no doors or sides at all, so it has tons of air flow.
Old 05-05-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The microsoft extended warrenty starts after the 90 warrenty runs out. I recieved a letter in the mail a month or so a ago regarding the extended warranty. I only signed up for 1 additional year for $32. The two year extension was $64.
Old 05-05-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have yet to receive my paperwork from my Warranty set away in December. They charged my credit card though. I've wrote a letter to MS even since they said that is the only way to get my warranty info.....
Old 05-05-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hold up.. You wrote a letter to them? They said that's the only way to get the warranty info??

My check just cleared like a week ago and I haven't heard anything else about it..
Old 05-05-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called about a month after ordering the warranty over the phone because i hadn't received any paperwork yet and they told me they didn't send the paperwork until the extended warranty started which is after the 90 or 180 day one runs out. They could look in the system though and say i was covered until a certain date in a couple years.
Old 05-05-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
The microsoft extended warrenty starts after the 90 warrenty runs out. I recieved a letter in the mail a month or so a ago regarding the extended warranty. I only signed up for 1 additional year for $32. The two year extension was $64.
I think I'm just going to get a 1-year warranty as well. I've had mine since late January and nothing has messed up. I got one that was manufactured in late December, not a launch box. If it's error free for a year, it'll likely be okay for the long haul.
Old 05-05-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Hold up.. You wrote a letter to them? They said that's the only way to get the warranty info??

My check just cleared like a week ago and I haven't heard anything else about it..
Yeah, maybe the CS Rep was ignorant...who knows. I had to write to MS direct....and I never heard from them. It sounds like most people are getting the warranty back fine now, not me though....I may try calling again. I think they DID look up the warranty in the computer.
Old 05-05-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can probably still get the warranty.

I just got off the phone with MS and I did the 2 year deal for $59.90 over the phone. Sue me. I'm paranoid about this sort of thing. Anyway, I purchased my 360 on 4/17 and I figured I'd be SOL but they wanted the money so I'm set.

Now, for some reason my "90 day warranty" is listed in their computers as ending in November. Hey, fine with me! But since I bought it in April shouldn't it end in July? Is MS kickin' down some extra warranty time? I wonder if anyone else has this extra time on MS’ system? Either way, my plan kicks in after the "90 Day"(according to them, November) ends so I'm feeling a bit better about my 360 getting fixed if there’s a problem.

Frankly, I hate having to feel this way about new electronics but I guess that's life. My PS2’s power button broke within days of buying it so it can happen to any system. Also, although my original XBOX sometimes gives the "Dirty disc" message on one or two games it's still kicking some 4 or 5 years later. This is good because I’ve still got games to play on the OG System and some games that I've finished that are saved on the HD. So I’m hoping the 360 will last as long.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-05-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tbird2340

No, you can call them. They can look it up by the serial number. I was given a Ticket number in case I wanted to call back but she said the Serial Number could also be used.

1 800-4my-xbox
Old 05-06-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Turned on my 360 to finish up Tomb Raider this morning and after about 20 minutes I get this blue grid:

I reboot and then get the same thing, but in white:

which was then followed by:

which was in turn followed by #?!@ %#*!

Hopefully they hook me up since I'm outside the 90 day window. I bought and ended up using the warranty on the first Xbox, lesson learned - warranty needed for any MS product, got it. I'm getting ready to call them. I wonder how many people that makes on this forum alone?
Old 05-06-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If all four lights are red it is only a defective video/audio cable. They are shipping me a new one.

Also decided to go ahead and eat the $60 warranty while I had them on the phone. Covered for future breakage now.
Old 05-06-06, 09:57 AM

I had the 3 rlights on the ring and got mine back this week, letter said it was a new xbox altogether, didn't cwrite the old serial # down so I'm not sure. Probably call and see if I get a new 180 days now since this one is new, if not I'll pony up for the warranty as well.
Old 05-06-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brewc
I had the 3 rlights on the ring and got mine back this week, letter said it was a new xbox altogether, didn't cwrite the old serial # down so I'm not sure. Probably call and see if I get a new 180 days now since this one is new, if not I'll pony up for the warranty as well.
Ooooh so the new systems are getting 180 days?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.